1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How should the U.S. respond?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by The Great Snook, May 11, 2004.

1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
  2. Commandante Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Leave iraq!

Stop actin like the worlds police man and **** off!

[snip]

[Offensive comments removed, warning pending.] -Tal

[ May 11, 2004, 21:41: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Wait for it...
    Wait for it...
    Wait...

POW!

That was quick! :eek:

4. Commandante Gems: 2/31

what was quick?

my offensive comments? they werent really that offensive!

5. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

The commandante is damn right.

Get the hell out of there. You see, such things happen once you keep bothering those people.

Hatred against one's kin will be given back tenfold.

Just advance through the simple process of RESELECTING your president and DISMISS the candidate of his candidature. Take someone else and...BAM! All's worked out.

Again, this is no fantasy world. Yet another reason to turn to the Forgotten Realms for salvation.

Why? Because we 'still' CAN... (think about it)

6. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

The longer we stay, the more we feed the opposition. I hope it doesn't take 58,000 deaths and untold billions this time around to see the light.

7. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The U.S should do the only thing it can reasonably do – attempt to capture those responsible and punish them in the same way that it will punish American soldiers responsible for the Iraqi prisoners whose deaths were labelled “homicide”. Iraqis won’t like this, but then they won’t like anything the U.S. does here. While it is highly unlikely that those responsible will ever be captured, what else can be done? A bombing raid or similar approach would surely be overkill, and would make worse an already inflamed situation. And to do nothing basically would say that the murder was condoned.

It’s an unfortunate situation, but not particularly surprising.

8. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Typically American... a 'Bomb Raid'

Quite frankly, I didn't suspect otherwise. Americans are quite the problem solvers. Let hatred guide them to the doom of some, and put them in despise of others. Maybe tomorrow, day after tomorrow... You never know.

(jk) :rolleyes: just trying to be funny...

9. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Actually, IMO the images from that tape will go a long way, in US public opinion at least, in countering the prison torture images. People will think, OK, sexual humiliation is one thing, but getting your head sawn off with a dull knife is another. These images, again IMO, increase the chances of Rumsfeld *not* getting the axe from Bush, and will take some pressure of the the CPA for the torture snaps.

10. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I think this Scrappleface parody gets it right:

Arab Street Erupts in Rage Over Beheading Video

(2004-05-11) -- The so-called 'Arab Street' erupted in rage and grief today, as devoted Muslims crowded into public squares by the hundreds of thousands, in dozens of cities, to denounce the brutal videotaped beheading of American Nicholas Berg by Muslim extremists affiliated with Al Qaeda.

"This is an outrageous, disgusting and obscene act of evil done in the name of our peaceful religion and in our own backyard," said one unnamed Muslim cleric in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. "We mourn with Mr. Berg's family at this horrible loss. We renounce not only this act of violence, but all acts of terror."

The governments of all Arab League nations made a joint statement condemning the slaughter of Mr. Berg, and committing $100 billion toward the elimination of Al Qaeda and other Muslim terror groups.

"We pledge money, troops and intelligence resources in an all-out effort to end this scourge," the Arab league statement declared. "We apologize for our past failures to rein-in or arrest extremists in our ranks. As of today, we are turning the tables on the terrorists. Now, it's their turn to be afraid."

11. Lifemage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

If the Iraqi's are so desperate to govern themselves without any aid, then fine let them do it. Let them go back to the place they came from. It is becoming quite evident that some countries just can't handle a democratic system where they are free to do as they wish.

Maybe opression is best for them. They complain about the prisoner abuses, right, I agree, it's sick, but to think of the fact that an American was beheaded, and all the torturing Sadam did to his people, and the killing fields, which one is worse?

The photos have turned out to be more of a political move for the Democratic Party. The Deomcrats use them to smear Bush with.

Let's leave Iraq, and let's leave the world to itslef for once, and see how they get along without us giving aid to them at all, in any shape way, or form.

12. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

But who speaks for this ephermal "them"? Sadr's brigades? Ex-Ba'athist apparatchiks? Wannabe al-Qaeda imitators? Iranian SCIRI puppets? Should the aggressive few represent the passive many?

The average Iraqi - like the average human being - would like America to anonymously provide support without strings, order without control, and justice without judgement. Iraqis (and the world community) would be equally resentful at a withdrawal of support as a tug on the string. That's no different from any inner-city, where violent street thugs curse and kill the police even as they decry cuts in the social safety net.

At this point, we'd may as well stick around long enough for more-democratic elections rather than leadership-by-acclaim (or gunpoint). There are plenty of noisy South Koreans, Japanese, and Germans who want the Americans to abandon their military bases, but cooler heads have yet prevailed. I think we'll see the same in Iraq, too.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yep. I saw a video on Ogrish that had a Russkie soldier whacked by some Chechens. Basically the same thing, which is why I'm not particularly inclined to go download the video.

Personally, I'd like to hit them (I'd say "insurgents", but I mean fundamentalist Muslims, in general) in the worst possible way. Which, remarkably, isn't all that violent in and of itself.

I want Arab (Kuwaitis, Iranian, Iraqi, Pakistani, Saudi, Syrian) girls walking down the street, listening to iPods and wearing belly-button tshirts and miniskirts with no panties. I want Arabs talking about an after-school Jihad session on the chemistry book in preparation for finals next week. I want Iraqis and Iranians telling the French how prude they are, and need to get with the times and loosen up. I want to see a synagogue in downtown Baghdad and another in Faluja and one more in Tehran.

I want to see Iraqi's orbiting satellites and sending manned vehicles to the International Space Station.

And it's totally going to happen, too. It's "in work".

14. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Just keep doing what they've always been doing minus the unauthorised torture.

To leave would create more havoc than to stay on untill the country is under the control of a single government. It is a pity that some Iraqis don't understand why the US is there and they assume they are there to kill people when in fact they are trying to stop people from being killed.

15. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Hunt down the murderers. I had a long rant here but it was too confused so I deleted it. However, something to keep in mind is that the US and all its forces in the region is one centrally controlled organisation and it is facing probably hundreds if not thousands of groups of dudes who are pissed off and armed with no central structure whatsoever. Any comparison between sides is void and outright stupid and silly to make.

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

The joke is, is that they wimper on about the Jihad whis is a holy war yes? Well from what I remember being taught by my relatives (who are from Singapore and all muslim) the only way one can carry out a Jihad is if one religion is forcefully trying to convert Islam. Now, from my understanding, Capitalism is not a religion, its an economic form that a country adopts.

So therefore, these people who are wittering on about how they are carring out Jihad well

*Taps them on the shoulder*

Well think again guys, you say God is great but you won't be meeting him. You'll be meeting Satan in Hell and I bet he'll be dead pleased to have you. Congratu*******lations!

17. SleepleSS Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] This is what you get when you go to war, destroy a country abuse prisenors... Let me guess they stay to fight again?

18. Commandante Gems: 2/31

The US is in there for oil and money, not to free a people? If they cared so much for the Iraqi's why did they support Saddam in the first place?

And lifemage, you are quite horribly wrong as america provides "aid" to very few countrys that actualy need it.

19. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

The US should seriously consider moving out. It wouldn't be like a retreat, although the Arab hardliners would probably think otherwise. There's nothing left to do there, Saddam has been removed, there are no weapons of mass destruction, and these people obviously don't want any foreigners on their soil.

So let them rot, Iraq is going to be another Afghanistan in no time. Clans fighting clans, warlords against warlords. If they want it that badly, let them have it. No aid, no food, no money, let them take care of their own crap.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Then why does gas cost nearly $2 per gallon and why did we have a record deficit in 2003, which looks like it will be broken in 2004?

The oil and money aren't coming to America, that's for sure...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.