1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How much do you guys pay for your games?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Enagonios, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] How much do you guys pay for your games? Do you buy the real mcCoy ALL the time? The only REAL game I bought was BG1. The rest I can pick up at 100pesos per cd, that's about $2.50 and the pir8d games are more compact, like instead of 4 cds for Diablo2, there were only 2, and there are almost never any probs or bugs, if there are, just coughup another $2.50. Was just curious, because I vacation once every 2 years or so in the states and all the games I saw were real ranging from $30-$50

2. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

It is funny, but in Greece U may buy a copy prior to the game launging at the market, a small difference of 2-3 months. So, usually I buy the copy first ($7). If I enjoy the game, I go out of my pockets with extra $35.

3. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Shame on you! Pirate copying is bad!

*hiding numerous CD's that cost about 1 dollar*

Now, I recently bought a Plextor 16x/10x/40x, but it's for making safety copies....... of other peoples games which the give to me and I give them back.

You don't believe me? I have bought Might and Magic 7, Age of Empires 2: The Conquerors and Icewind Dale! Honestly! But games cost too much in Norway. Up to 500 NOK (calculate that to $ and you will be surprised).

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Mollusken,

KR500 at say 13.5 = £37. Not much in it my friend. B&W £35 BG2 £30 in the UK. Not a lot of dif if you consider that you'll buy about 5 a year coz they take so bloody long to finish these days.

Where abouts in Norway are you? I'm probably over in June to see the family. (South coast).

Don't personally agree with pirating games though. Too much money lost to the writers/developers, many good games will never make it coz they won't pay their way. To all of you: if you can afford it, pay for the game. Otherwise, at least buy a licensed copy when you can.

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Well let's see, a pack on 50 CD-R is about $30 so I guess that's around .40 cents a CD. Thus the answer is 'burn, burn, burn'

When I was younger, and poorer, I would copy everything, but now that I have a real job I tend to buy around half of my stuff. But I just can't bring myself to pay sometime if I can copy it for free. I think the really good games I don't mind paying for. It's just the one's I'm not sure of that I'd rather try for free.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] We have a whole MALL that sells ALMOST nothing but FAKES! The clothes are pretty shitty though. Poor quality so I only go towards the CDS. A word to the Wise: If you ever come down here, Do NOT wear Abercrombie & Fitch or "FuBu". You'll be laughed out of the country even if it IS real. The only people that use FuBu here nowadays are people that think they're Eminem or the people that can't afford more than 1 red contact lens, partially shitty dyed hair and think that being hazed to join a crappy frat filled with squatters is kewl. But CD-wise NoOne buys real games nowadays, only the people too stupid to know where to look. ;)

7. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31

Veteran

sorry, sweety, but if there are not stupis to buy the orig. games very soon we may run out of new games. Sometimes U have to sacrifice a small amount so all this nice people that try to make fun for us, to be able to pay their rent.

8. Sapiryl Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I do not own any pirated games excepting those that I have already owned/own and want to play muliplayer at home. Can you see spending $60 so that you can play Brood War in your own house on two computers that both belong to you? But again, I own the original CD. Same thing with Podracer. I want to play against friends/family members over a LAN game between two of my own computers.

9. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

The only warez I have is quake 2. I accidently installed it into my root-directory. :)

Besides that, the only thing that inspires to piracy is my two fallouts. I did the complete install, and when I've found out that you didn't need the cd's, I sold them to a friend.

Oh, and I have some abandonware lying around. Technically speaking, they are warez, but hey, these are so old that nobody cares anymore. (Abandonware being games that are atleast 5 years old and not available in any store.)

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

I see the new cool game in the legendary Settlers series cost £ 29,99. That's far cheaper than it will cost in Norway. Or is that a price special for Germany? I talked to a good friend on IRC when Icewind Dale came out, and it costed $45 or so in the US. That's about the same as it costed in Norway, except from that in the US I was told it was expensive, and in Norway it is cheap for a new game. The reason for the cheap price is a low D&D activity in Norway. I know of only a couple of other persons who play D&D games. I remember my friend buying Heroes of Might and Magic 2 for 600 NOK several years ago.

Someting funny to know: There is a store in my home town which now sells Baldur's Gate for 500 NOK, and Baldur's Gate 2 for 450 NOK!

Viking: I live on the southeast coast of Norway, on a farm outside the town of Larvik.

[This message has been edited by Mollusken (edited April 19, 2001).]

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] ...You got a point there dragon, but being a 16year old dependent on the institute of the allowance, I don't have much of a choice if I wanna keep drinking at bars every saturday night ;) , so I'll leave the buying original stuff up to you, and keep buying the fakes (jap-x as it's called here) ;) Give yourselves a hand, you are all continuing the continued (sorry, redundant statement) survival of the gaming industry, give yourselves a hand... that means too many things :D I mean, give yourselves a round of applause. btw dragon, no sarcasm intended towards you or anyone else except me. :)

12. Viking Gems: 19/31

NOK 500 for BG1! In the UK you can get BG1+ToTC single pack for about 15 quid!

U sure that's not the DVD version? Still bloody expensive maind.

- If I come over in June I'll wave on the way past! Buss/boat/train past there I should think. parents in Grimstad, summer house near Arendal. Prob fly into Oslo.

13. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] Viking, I've just bought the DVD-version of bg1. Price 30 dkr. Ok, it's a OMD-version, but hey, I don't care. :)

Besides, the average price in Denmark is about 360 dkr. This compares ok to the british price. One complain remains though. Although Denmark dosn't have the rigid censurium of the british, our importers still by the same game version. This means no children in the Fallouts among other things.

14. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

i spend A LOT on computer equipment, games, and programs and have literally thousands of games, i make enough as a computer programmer especiallly with my recent raise :D sorry i have to brag. i tend to spend around 2000 a year on computer stuff.

15. Dragonsnake Gems: 3/31

Veteran

R'syil
    Don't worry, dont think it is sarcasm. U'll grow up and will start to pay...As for my spending, it is aa not big hole in my budget since I play only RPG of classic character ( forgot the expression, sorry).

For example, 3 days ago I bought a copy of THE SUMMONER. Cost me about $ 13. The original is about $ 30. I didn't like the game, so I saved $17. If I liked the game it will have been more $30 expence...

BTW, what drk means ? "drakkars" , "drakos", ...

16. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

well, i bought IWD for $55 bucks canadian, bg2 for $65 and bg for $60...
    well actually my dad did before i got hooked on RPGs

17. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I find that an honest way to get cheap games is to buy old games on budget. This has the added advantage that they work on old PCs. Hey, old games can still be good, both BG1 and Planescape are going for around £10 now.

18. Extremist Gems: 31/31

My God is this thread ever gonna stop?

I work hard to be able to buy those games. Even toilet cleaning if I must! So, this question offends me. Grow old, get a job (even lowsy job is ment for people) and you can buy any game you like. Am I abnormal or something??? :mad: :mad: :mad:

19. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Extremist: sorry you feel that way :) but in answer to your question? I don't know you well enough to call you abnormal, but you are what I would call impractical (no offense) If you know that you can't really afford buying all these original games then why bother? I'm not working yet and I don't know what I wanna dao, but I DO know one thing, I will sure as shit NOT buy an original copy of "Waterdeep2000" or something and lose 3 days worth of meals in the process, something like that. As for growing old, that'll take care of itself ;) and I'm truly sorry if the topic offends you, but I find no malice in it whatsoever. So if you don't like it, don't read it :)

20. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

[​IMG] I do work all the summer, and spend most of the money on my computer. But if I were to buy all the games I want, I wouldn't use money on anything else. Therefor I buy only the supreme of games.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.