1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How do you remove an energy drain?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Elebereth, Dec 13, 2000.

1. Elebereth Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] When exploring the tombs with Korgen a muumy or one of the other undead creatures casted a energy drain spell on of my main characters and now he has only 25 hit points. How do I remove it?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Energy drain? You mean the character lost levels? If so, the Cleric spell (Lesser) Restoration will work, or a temple will be able to cure the affliction. Temples can cure most anything.

If it wasn't a level drain, usually after a little time it will clear up on its own.

3. Sylvus Moonbow Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I went to every Temple in Athkatla and bought all the scrolls of Restoration to bring along with me once I began my trip to Spellhold. I had no idea what to expect or if there would be a lot of undead with that ability to drain character levels. No one in my party can cast the spell as of yet, so best be on the safe side.

Syl...

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Syl - Really? IIRC both my Aerie and my Jaheira had Lesser Restoration for quite a while before I left for Spellhold... Perhaps you are using those spell slots for more important spells?

5. Mobeus Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

My preference is for the rod/wand of restoration. It doesn't require the caster to rest almost immediately after use. Plus, almost any character can use it! Only downside is limited charges, (I usually carry a few scrolls--just in case!) but if you sell it to a vendor then buy it back, I believe it gets recharged (if you've got the gold to buy it that is!) :)
    :D

6. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I've been getting my armored ass kicked for the last three nights trying to kill the vampires, wraiths, mummies, and ghouls in the Windspear Hills dungeon. I'm reluctantly getting ready for the long walk back to town to buy something to help, even though I think these are the last few rooms for this dungeon. I don't have enough slots for Negative Energy Protection and Restorations to help enough.
    Can anyone tell me what the Protection from Undead scroll actually does (so I know if it's worth going back for)?
    Are level drains temporary (do they fade in a few turns)?
    Is my level (average 9.5) too low for this particular encounter? It seems extremely difficult to kill one vampire (they move so fast), let along four or five who attack at once. I'm nothing but six snacks to them.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Your level may be a bit low, but it's doable.

First, level drain is permanent without magical intervention.

Second, when I did Windspear, I was pretty low level, so what I did was used an oil of speed and casted chaotic commands on one guy and had him lure the Vampires to that killing ground near the entrance. You can shoot at them from the side where they can't reach you; certain of the Vamps require +2 weapons, but you can get +2 arrows in the dungeon... The others can be killed with normal arrows...

Third, I believe Protection from Undead makes the undead ignore your presence.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited December 13, 2000).]

8. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I used several called critters (summoned monsters) and cast negative plain protection on my 2 strongest fighters. Didn't have a real problem with them. Just hack away and keep casting magic to help.
    As far the the energy drain, mummies can cause disease and some undead can drain strength points. The only drain in the game that is perminent, though, is level drain. The others should go away on their own within a day at least. If not, I'd reload.

9. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Have you had the final showdown with Bodhi yet? Negative plane protection wore off just before I finihed her off and she drained Keldorn 10 levels in 2 hits. Bitch queen!
    SPOIL - I'm glad I had Imoen along, it made it worthwhile.

10. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The first time round, I just strolled past the door and ignored the undead room totally.

11. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I can't remember where I got it, but there's an amulet that gives immunity to level drain. Sure wish I had it before I fought the Shadow Dragon. Once you have this amulet most undead become easy.

And if I'm not mistaken, Wraiths can cause an energy drain, but it wears off with time I think. It's still nasty.

Windspear dungeon was a nice place to fight. I remember when I saw the vampires I nearly had a heart attack. Negative Plane protection only lasts five rounds, can you imagine?

Kind of makes you wish there was an Undead Hunter NPC.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.