1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How did you kill Firkraag?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neeraj the Freak Paladin, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I know a lot of people have done it, but I still wanna rejoice in this victory! :D

First I summoned 2 Fire Elementals and an Air Elemental

Anomen and Aarie cast Chaotic Commands on my warriors (my first 4 guys).

Then I had Anomen cast Protection From Evil 15-foot Radius, Aarie with Chant, and Jaheira with Bless.

Jaheira hit Firkraag with the spell Magic Resistance (to take his crazy Magic Resistance away)

I aligned my four warriors (Myself, Minsc, Anomen, Jaheira with Ogre Hands) behind him, and let the elementals in front of him take the first hits on him (this diverted his attention from my guys for a very short time...nevertheless it served its purpose)

Oh yeah, I also got oil of speed on Minsc, Anomen and Jaheira while I have Boots of Speed, and Drew Upon Holy Might and had 22 Strength potions for the rest of my fighters.

So we attacked him melee style, but I was missing as much as I was hitting, Aarie hit him with a Wand of Lightning and it got him good.

Before Aarie did that, I had Nalia hit him with Greater Malison, and Aarie cast Breach upon his defensive spells and it worked! Nalia then cast Slow upon him while Aarie hit him with Lightning.

So we Slowed him down while all my fighters were Speed Enhanced! :D

Eventually Anomen got the game winner for me....he seems to be a real clutch guy for me because he often does get the death blow on big guys for me.

2. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

At first I gave an Oil of Speed to my Archer. Second I cast all resistance spells, I could on him(not many, since I solo). Then used the Ring of Gaxx's Improved Haste ability, all three times, and shoot him to death. Quite easy...

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Congrats Neeraj :D

I remember the first time I played through BG2 and killed Fiirkrag for the first time. I was buzzin'! :D

Keep it up Neeraj! :cool:

4. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Keldorns dispel magic, and constant hack and slash,then Keldorn stuck Hallowed Redeemer into Sir Firkaag and that was it.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I just buffed up my fighters, loaded a sequencer up with magic resistances. Breached his stoneskin and hacked and slashed wimme fighters and a few attacking spells gets the job done soon enough ^^

6. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] I've killed Firkraag several times, one time different from the other.

The first time, after three reloads :rolleyes: , hacking and slashing with Korgan, Minsc shooting arrows+4 with Heartseeker, Aerie finally killed him with a finger of death (buuff...) ;)

Another time, I planted so many traps around him that he was killed in the moment he attacked me. But I didn't like that way :sleep: , just imagine: "excuse me, Sir Dragon, would you mind lifting your claw while I put this??". No :nono: , reload..

And probably the way I'm most proud of it is when Edwin shoot a spell sequency (the one with you can cast three spells at the same time) with a lower resistance, great malison and flesh to stone. Amazing (it's a pity we didn't have a photograph camera to make a party picture with the statue.. :D ). Later in game, Edwin did the same with Adalon; who said that he stinks?? he's kinda powerful!!. :evil:

7. Neeraj the Freak Paladin Gems: 8/31

[​IMG] Hey thanks alot Morsmordre!

Morsmordre, Daephon, Benanthalin, and Maincarast'e all of you had really impressive ways to kill him! Daephon really rocked it by killing him solo! I've never heard of a solo character killing such a creature!

Man! I wish we had a program wherein we can videotape (per say) the times where we kill strong creatures and trade them!! Like our own BG2 movies you know? I would have loved to have seen each way you guys killed the dude! :D

8. Errol Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

[​IMG] Some guy ages and ages ago killed Firkraag with a Monk. One hit = dead dragon. That was pretty heavy :)

9. Mr Writer Gems: 8/31

Sneak sneak sneak, quivering palm, kapow dead dragon. Remember reading about it somewhere. :p

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Here is how I did it with my solo sorceress. This plan does not depend on Firkraag failing a save, it will work everytime.

- Load Spell Trigger with three Lower Resistance (or two Lower Resistance and one Greater Malison if you can).

- If you have other triggers/sequencers load them with Magic Missiles. Use scrolls if you do not have these spells in your spell list.

- Always have Stoneskin on.

- Potion of Fire Resistance (50%) and Scroll of Resist Fire (50%) gives you a Fire resistance of 100%. This is a nice precaution to take.

- Resist Fear, Prot f Evil, summon five Mordenkainen's Sword and cast Haste on them. I do all this via a Project Image. (Plan the summons and Haste so that the Project Image ends just after you are done since the duration of Mord's Swords is only 1rd/level.)

- Surround Firkraag with the summons.

- Mirror Image.

- Start battle with the Spell Trigger containing the triple Lower Resistance.

- Next cast Breach because Firkraag always starts w Stoneskin and you want the Mord's Swords to do damage.

- After this keep pounding with Abi-Dalzim's (2-3 castings) until he is at least badly wounded.

- Now unleash any sequencers/triggers you have with Magic Missiles.

- Cast more MM's if needed.

I'm quite sure this always works on Core difficulty and IMHO it is a stand up fight without cheese. :)

It's important to have a very high damage output per round because Firkraag uses Heal and you don't want to do this all over. ;)

11. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Earl Grey - Do you really think that a dragon who is intelligent enough to plan the trickery on Garren Windspear and you is going to sit around and calmly watch you pull your image stunt, watch you summon your swords, etc. without blasting the crap out of you? Please. Much cheese.

12. Callidus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

There is a very easy way of killing furkaag - after you have spoke to him and tell him you will be back later, take all your characters wellout of sight excepr the mage then let the mage walk sloly away until Furkraag jusy disapeares out of sight, then when He can no longer dee you usy wand of cloud kill three blasts at were he is known to be, when they start disipating send another three blasts he wil soon fail a heal spell and you will of beathim without lousing a single life point by any of your team.

13. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @dmc
    First Firkraag allows you to "visit", so you can move freely into whatever position you like.
    Second all the preparations are made outside the visibility range.

What is not cheese by your criteria?
    Casting summoning spells before engaging in combat might be considered cheese, but I think that is taking the definition of cheese too far. :p

14. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Not cheesy: no preparations. IIRC, you can breach his defenses, then your mad warriors can kill him.
    It's better to take out dragons after the Underdark. Your chars then can do it without cheesy tactics. (But I take it that using health potions is not cheesy).

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ Earl Grey - My general definition of cheese is to ask yourself a simple question: Would a human DM let me do what the computer DM is letting me do? IMO, your concept of being in Firkraag's cavern and summoning things that are obviously meant only for battle would not be tolerated by a human DM. Doing something out of his "sight" only works if it is out of his cavern, as exploiting the fog of war is also cheese. Even if it were somehow legit, deploying those summons around Firkraag while he is "blue" would certainly not be allowed. However, having your mages set up sequencers and contingencies out of the cavern is perfectly fine. Also, if you normally walk around with summoned creatures (as differentiated from summoned objects -- we can assume that a nasty, wise old dragon that can cast his own spells is well aware of the Mordy Sword spell), then I don't find it cheesy to immediately cast your summons spells when you get to his cavern, as that makes up for the computer's inability to move summoned creatures from one area map to another.

(Sidenote - anything that could possibly show up on UserUnfriendly's guide to cheese is certainly cheese, and some version of your strategy showed up there, although that guide is so advanced now that maybe basic cheese like this is passe.)

16. Golden Avenger Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] When I faced the Evil Red Dragon I was playing a 15th level Archer. I had Jan cast haste on our party. After I shot arrows of piercing at him. I had 5 attacks per round due to my short bow . I had Minsc decked out in fire protection items and had him directly in front of the dragon. The red dragon followed Minsc around while I just applied accupuncture with my arrows. Didn't even take a hit point in damage

17. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Have your Cleric or Druid cast protection from fire on everyone, have someone cast a remove/protection from fear, and someone else to cast haste on all your party. Then go and smack the bad boy around.
    Then there's the option going solo. Play a fighter/mage and spell trigger stoneskin,tenser's transformation, and improved haste. Firkraag will fall with ease.

18. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Bane, lower resistance *2 (IIRC, depends on his magic resistance), Feeblemind and just hit him. He won't even notice.

Or get whatever protections you have of AC bonus or stoneskin kind, all buffs you can etc, and kiss him goodbye. He's not all that tough. 11 level is enough, IIRC he's 'doable' on level 9, too. As pointed out by people above, breach will get rid of his defences if they're troublesome.

19. Earl Grey

[​IMG] @dmc
    You point it out yourself.
    In a pnp campaign you wouldn't have the area transition limitations of BG2. The transition into Firkraag's cave is a stair. Thus you could do all the summons on the upper levels and walk down. This cannot be done in BG2. I believe that the tactic I described would work fine if I were allowed to summon upstairs and walk down with the summons.
    Surrounding Firkraag is not necessary for success.

So if we pretend that the summoning happen upstairs and that we do not surround Firkraag, you would consider my tactic not cheesy? :cool:

20. dmc

Media:
    @ Earl Grey - mostly not cheesy. There is still the fact that the Mordy Swords are combat spells that have a short duration. Most more traditional summons (i.e., monsters) have a greater duration and one could assume hypothetically that they would not raise the hackles of the dragon the way the swords would. As soon as Firkraag saw you come down the stairs with the swords, he would know you were looking for a fight. Thus, he would start the fight himself rather than wait for you to get the first blow. Aside from that, I think there's no problem.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.