1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

How can I convert protected audio files?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by BlckDeth, Jan 21, 2007.

1. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

[​IMG] Can anyone help me on this? My sister and I each have the same model of laptop, with the only difference being a graphics card accelerator on mine. All of my music runs in iTunes (.mp4), and hers in Windows Media Player (.wma). We both purchased iPod Nanos, and mine runs fine. However, whenever she tries to move all of her stored music from WMP to iTunes, and error message comes up saying that iTunes cannot convert the protected files. Because iPods only (officially) run on iTunes, this effectively makes her Nano worthless. If anyone can tell me how I can get around this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Also, if it helps, my music was originally in .wma format as well, and I had no problem converting it using iTunes v5 (I have since upgraded, and my sister is currently using v7.1). Could this have anything to do with it?

[ January 22, 2007, 06:27: Message edited by: BlckDeth ]

2. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31

Veteran

If it helps, I have already attempted to convert the files using Switch, but it won't convert to MP4, which is the file type iTunes runs on (?). Is there a program anyone knows of that can do this? If anyone can help it would save me many hours of re-importing and deleting around 15 gigs of music. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

It's against board rules to post two times in a row one the same topic without any other responders... one of the uses of the edit button.

I don't know why you're having this problem, I had .wma files on my computer and they were converted through iTunes to whatever format iTunes uses.

In other news, since my iPod has a hardware error, it is truly worthless.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Actually, there is no such rule. People have the ability to respond to their own posts after 24 hours have passed since the original post. BlckDeth has used this ability exactly as intended.

However, there is a rule that basically says that you shouldn't try to play a moderator. It was made exactly for this reason: people not quite getting the rules right and giving false instructions. So, in the future, please leave the moderating to the moderators.

5. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

This was more as a joke toward BlckDeth as we know each other very well...

I will try to avoid these comments in which the (ignorant to my intent) moderators may feel my comments are expressing 'moderation' over my fellow members.

6. BlckDeth Gems: 7/31

Veteran

Well, that's great and all, but is there anyone out there who actually can help me fix this?

@Chicken:
    I posted twice in an attempt to bring this topic back on the "active" board, hoping that someone might help me solve the problem. Thought the extra info might help, too. Attempt failed obviously :(

7. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I'm not too sure if this will work (I don't have any protected audio files or .wma's on my current machine) but I've always found CDex to be particually useful for encoding and converting audio files. It's about 2mb to download and I have found it gives a lot more flexabilty than itunes and windows media player (I really hate both these programs).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.