1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

HoW -- Burial Isle

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Spellbound, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm having tremendous difficulties trying to clear out Burial Isle. I've imported my characters from IWD; they're currently at or around level 14 with excellent armor ( a couple with full plate +1, one with Bathed in Blood Ac of -1 and one with Plate +1). The fighters have good weapons -- The Defender +2, the Static 2-Handed Sword +4, The Backbiter +4, The Alamion Sword +3 and the Spinesheath Dagger +5. I don't understand why these battles are so difficult--at a MINIMUM, someone has to be regenerated for EVERY battle, sometimes 2 or 3 members of the team. These were the same characters that finished IWD with no trouble. Has anyone had a similar experience, and if so, how did you resolve it?

I'm currently in the polar bear battle and I've had to do 8 reloads so far, with half my team dying every time. Can anyone help?

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Buy 'The three white doves' weapon. It is very effective against any undead. You can find it in the temple of (what is that town again - you know the main town in HoW - Lonleywood?). I think it's not very cheap but hey you make short work of undead scum in seconds. And yes you can also kill the bear with one blow :grin: ;) .

3. Spellbound

Very cool...thanks! I only hope I can afford it. :heh:

Edit -- Keneth: As I suspected, not anywhere near enough money in the coffers for that kind of weapon. Any other ideas?

[ August 26, 2002, 00:13: Message edited by: Spellbound ]

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Here's my $.02...

Don't go downstairs under any circumstances until you clear out the topside. Those Wailing Chits will own you very quickly. If you have a tough time topside, bottomside isn't any easier.

So, move a little and backtrack. The bears are a little tough cause you don't really get the chance to open up on them with ranged weapons. Loadup for melee, and keep your party together. If someone gets split off, pull everyone back. You probably want to play this area at 30aiu, rather than 60aiu (ai updates per second).

As far as weapons go, yeah; everything is undead. But if you don't really have any undead stuff, load up on the highest thac0 stuff you have. Whether it's a dagger or a quarterstaff, these things are hard to hit.

You'll run into a whole slew of undead shaman there too; about 8 of them. He'll talk to you, and just tell him you'll leave. Then chuck in a couple of area effect spells and move in to start whacking.

When you finally do go underground, you might think about just getting the talisman and getting out. You'll enter closest to the talisman if you enter the upper left most cave. I think it bring you in just south-southeast of where the talisman is. There several virgins you have to whack as soon as you find the talisman, so rest before hand and load up on instant damage magic. The longer those virgins are around, the more damage you'll take and the higher chance you'll catch some instant kill stuff so you don't want to do anything long term or attrition. Drill them *down*.

Cash is always hard to come by. You'll get out of Trials of the Luremaster with some decent gold, but it's even tougher than burial isle. Since the bottomside of the isle has respawning monsters, you can level up a whole bunch there and pickup a lot of gold in the process. Overall, Burial isle is tough to start but very good for your final party. Stick with it, because it's your best area right now.

If you are fed up, and frustrated, I *do* have an alternate solution for you. It *will* work, and you *will* take out whatever you care to, the first time without reloads or any kind of strategy.

5. Spellbound

Thanks very much! I've actually done a restart now and dumped my imported bard for a newly created thief, in the hopes of being able to get into some of those elusive chests and acquire more coin or at least items I can sell.

I agree that the inside is far more difficult than the perimeter, with the exception of the polar bear battle....that was the worst. 3 of my party were dead within about 10 seconds. I have absolutely zero undead stuff to fight with...that appears to be the problem. I'll keep trying....what's one more reload? :bang: Thanks all!

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Of course if all else fails, look up the cheats on SP and at least create a couple hundred gold pieces for yourself. It's a very light form of cheating, and at least you could buy all the fancy weapons and equip yourself properly for those hard battles. Let's face it, it's no fun playing if you can't make any progress, and reloading gets boring after a while.

7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    You can't tell me you went through whole IWD and don't have any money. I mean by the time I finished IWD I was literally rolling in money. And yes reloading can get boring but using cheats can be even more boring so try without them first.

8. Spellbound

I had about 11,000 GP when I arrived on the scene in Lonelywood, which is not destitute, but certainly not enough to buy the 80,000 GP weapons (give or take) that the temple offers.

As for IWD, I remember having to leave many trapped chests unopened because of my party make-up and dropping alot of inventory items to avoid having to run back to Kuldahar to sell them. Had I known that I would need the coin later....heh.

9. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    Hmmm...11000GP? That's not even enough for a decent meal ;) . Then your choices are:

• Use cheats
    • Steal and sell things
    • Turn evil and kill everyone in the city
    • Stop playing
    • Is there another option?
    And that's about all I can remember now. I never used cheats myself though in my IWD version they didn't work and in HoW it just said 'Nice try cheater!' so I never bothered using them.

10. Spellbound

LOL. I may have to use the cheats to get more money, but not until I've exhausted every other conceivable option. If I made it through IWD, I should be able to, somehow, get through this. There's got to be a way....

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    GETYOURCHEATON:EnableCheatKeys()

the cheat keys are very useful, (Ctrl +R (heal) is good as with Ctrl + Y (kill) and Ctrl + J to jump to places)

GETYOURCHEATON:SetCurrentXP(No.) Level up quickly

Using these too often is V. Bad though use them at certain, crucial moments and they are helpful :cool:

12. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

The Burial Isle is very hard. I had to rest after every battle, but after finding the right strategy I seldom died (can't remember anything of that strategy now though. There was probably some haste in it). My party hadn't finished IWD either, so I suppose they were lower levels than yours. All I can say is find the right spells to cast.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Get a lvl 30 Cleric and walk around with turn undead on :cool: I'm currently there with a F/M/T and a F/C/M (I had to have 2 chars instead of 1 :p ) and one walked around killing them all while the other guy picked up the treasure.

warning - methingythingy the Banshee at Wolfys' grave can't be killed with turn undead :mad:

14. Keraptisdm Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Burial Isle was tough (but you already knew that). :) My party was about 11/12 level when I arrived at that pleasant place. Your description of the "Battle of the Bears" made me chuckle as it was very familiar. :rolleyes: Anyhow my tactic involved: Fighting, summoning monsters, turning undead, healing, fighting, turning undead and resting. Repeat as necessary. Good Luck. :D

15. Spellbound

Well, I've about had it...I'm opting for the gold cheat. However, when I type in the cheat, I'm getting the wonderful message "Nice try, cheater." Here's what I've done:

1. Enabled "cheat mode" in the IWD config table.
    2. "Cheats=1" was already in the iwd.ini file under Game Options.
    3. Once the game was loaded, pressed Ctrl Tab and typed "GETYOURCHEATON:AddGold(80000);"

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    I wrote that a few posts higher if you look there. I think that the command was changed but I'm not sure about it. There is also a script that you can give to a char and then pres a button to give you money. It's faster than enabling the cheats.

17. Spellbound

I checked out the script for adding gold and it appears that it's for 5,000 GP max. That won't even come close to what I need to buy an undead sword. Looks like I either get the cheat to work, or go back to my original plan....whatever that was. Oh, yea....reloading. :bang: :heh:

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  19. Keneth Gems: 29/31

Media:
    That looks completely the same as she did. And there is no limit to the gold you give yourself it just says that it gives you 5000GP for each time you press the button. If you have all six characters with this script and press the button it will give you 30000GP each time.

20. Spellbound

Thanks everyone for helping on this....I never could get the "AddGold" cheat to work, but did load the script and successfully increased the GP for the party. Was able to get The Three White Doves and Amaunator's Legacy, but still having no effect on the polar bears. I'll have to go back to the drawing board and come up with another strategy. Thanks all!! :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.