1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Holy Avenger vs Crom Faeyr

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by War Nerve, Nov 20, 2001.

1. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

One of these beauties will go into the hands of my cavalier, and the other in Keldorn's. I want my pal to use the best weapon, of course, so which do you think I should be using on my cavalier?

2. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Cavalier with Holy Avenger, he rocks! and be more realistic.

As for Crom, why not cut it and the whole party can benefit all or let your single mate equip it.

[EDIT] missing note here: why don't you ditch Keldorn, pal?:D

[This message has been edited by Laksol (edited November 20, 2001).]

3. saukoon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Of course you leave the best for urself.

For Crom Fayer, I give it to Minsc to dual weild with another long sword.

4. Skull Mage Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

dual wielding that thing with flail of ages ooooh yeah

5. FoolioBuddumz Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

crom faeyr... it r0x!

6. Skull Mage Gems: 1/31

indeed it does the str bonus gives +7 to hit and +14 to damage plus it can be dual weilded!

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :hmm: Saukoon :hmm:

:confused: Is there another longsword like crom ??! :whoa: that'd be scary .... :grin:

I think the best choice is the holy avenger. It deals out 1d12 +5 damage, +5 vs chaotic evil, dispells magic at hit and gives 50% magic resistance - neat. And finally: When using draw-upon-holy-might, potions and girdles you'll be perfectly able to deal with even the worst of all enemies in BG-2 SoA and ToB.

I don't like crom. IMO it is better for a party to use the strength enhancers crom consumes separately. I don't need the instant kill crap on harmless creatures like golems and trolls. The worst char to equip with crom is Viconia (or any other cleric) - yeah, the THACO improvement will be awesome but she has just one attack per round - this is the ultimatate waste.

Mind that finally crom has just the same rate of attacks like carsomyr. A comparison:

-Considering the 1d12+5 of Carsomyr and adding + 4 THACO/ +9 damage(due to str-21 girdle of stonegiant strength) you'll get :
    + 9 on THACO and about 15 to 26 damage, 20 to 31 when the opponent is ce.

-Crom will give you +5 on THACO and 2d4+3 damage, and str-25 will add +7 on THACO and + 14 on damage so you'll end up with:
    +12 on THACO and 19 to 25 damage, that's IMO overpowered. The instant death thing is ridiculous (why not instant kill on goblins as well ?! )
    Mathematically you'll be indeed best when using crom when dualwielding, for example with C'Fury, true, but I don't like that particular combo - IMO no one needs that much offensive punch.

I think that Carsomyr is pretty much overpowered, however, Carsomyr is a two-handed sword - and it deals out just as much damage as a one-handed super-hammer .... :rolleyes:
    My str-21 chars with just *one* weapon have always been more than sufficient for me in BG-2 SoA and ToB.

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited November 21, 2001).]

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

In idiots terms: Carsomyr, bec. Crom takes too much stuff up. all those damn wasted str. modifiers... besides, ogres aren't as dangerous as they were in bg1 anyway. In intellectual terms: --> What Ragusa said

9. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I would use Carsomyr definetely!

I don't like Crom Faeyr because it is overpowered...blah...blah..blah.

And...why use two plaldins in the game(your cavalier and Keldorn)? One of them is more than enough...I think.

10. Watcher Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Casomyr...
    at the very least you can easly get 20 str with a gridle (21 if you dont create CF at all,22 in ToB).So the difference is 5 str, not a big deal if you consider Casomyr's advatages(despel per hit,5 dmg vs CE,3 despels per day,more damage than CF).Also,you get Casomyr much earlyer and you can make it even more powerful if you have ToB....besides it looks far cooler in my opinion,and more realistc(it is a holy sword and you are a holy warrior).
    Unless you want to use dial weapons...

Ack!my name is the same as my title...:(

[This message has been edited by Watcher (edited November 21, 2001).]

11. JDR1000 Gems: 1/31

Wait...Crom Faeyr is a hammer right? Why are some of you refering to it as a long sword?

[This message has been edited by JDR1000 (edited November 21, 2001).]

12. Brightblade Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Carsomyr, I have it now, and without other str modifyers, I am doing about 40-50 damage a hit. :)

13. War Nerve

War Nerve And it took me back to something that I'd lost

Well, yes, but I've gotten criticals in the 60's with crom...

PS. After a lot of thought, I've decided to use the Holy Avenger most of the time, and crom for golems. BTW Watcher, how do make the sword more powerful in TOB? (hope I'm not banned for this).

[This message has been edited by War Nerve (edited November 22, 2001).]

14. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Yep its a hammer. Carsomyr is a 2handed sword. Musta been a typo or grammatical error. Just find the eye of tyr and ask cespenar to fuse em.

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    :D Of course crom is a hamer, I cannot understand how there can be a doubt about that :evil:

Brightblade,

your char deals out 40 to 50 damage with carsomyr *each hit* ??! How that ? What are your game settings ? How strong is your char ? Please explain !
    And: What str-modifiers other than carsomyr does he use ? :p :evil:

16. Extremist Gems: 31/31

:rolleyes:

Sell Carsomyr.
    Give Crom Faeyr to Viccy.

That's it.

The ToB questions, please post in ToB forum. Or try the search option - I'm pretty sure the overpowering already overpowered weapon was mentioned there more than 100 times...:toofar:

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited November 22, 2001).]

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

[​IMG] Sell Carsomyr?! Bah! You only do that when you don't have keldorn with you. Crom... not worth it ;p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.