1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Hollywood Celebreties Protesting the War

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm sure most of the Americans in here, and maybe others, have heard about the multi-modem march on Washington a few weeks ago. A lot of celebreties are going public, protesting the pending war in Iraq and President Bush's actions. Well, I read this article, and quite frankly, it shows some of their true colors. I am sure there are some who are serios.
    The one I really love is regarding Janeane Garofalo. She's been pretty much out of the spotlight for the past few years. Until now protesting the war. Funny thing is I read somewhere that she has a movie or two coming out this summer. Hmmmmmmm. Makes you wonder.
    You can read a very interesting article here. http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110003188

2. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

This article makes one mistake: It compares the situation in Kosovo 1999 an in Iraq 2002/03.

To make the differences clear between the main military avtion since WWII , here is a part of a commentary from the "Berliner Tagesspiegel", my daily newspaper. I have to translate it, so be tolerant ;) :

"It(the war on iraq) would be an political war, caused by strategical calculation of an 'hyperpower nation'(Hypermacht). Neither have the USA been attacked(Pearl Habor), nor is the people's law in need of defense(Korea, 2. Gulf War).Neither is a hunger catastrophe looming(Somalia), nor is any 'ethnic cleansing' going on(Kosovo/Serbia). If everything is going well, the USA will have furthered democracy in the Middle East und gotten rid of an disliked regime, which may have distributed weapons of mass destruction to terrorists. To accomplish his goals, Bush risks the lifes of thousands of human beings, the hate of 1,2 billion muslims, an increase of terrorism, a worldwide economic recession and the split of the transatlantic 'community of virtues'."

3. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

You know, I always get a kick out of actors getting involved in politics. The textbook I use to teach rhetoric has a section where it discusses the virtues of using an authority to back up your stance, and warns about the dangers of improperly invoking authority. The example they use is someone quoting Ralph Nader in a theological debate -- he may be a recognized authority on consumer affairs, but he hardly is an authority on theology. The same thing goes with actors -- Just because someone is a skilled actor (another questionable point with some of these people) it does not mean they have any greater understanding of international politics. They might, but I need to see some more evidence of their credentials than a filmography.

4. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Can't say I'm against it. It seems to me that in a democracy, everyone should make an effort to be involved in politics. Actors and actresses simply have a greater platform for being heard. The only objection is that popularity might obscure rationality -- people might subscribe to certain views simply because Sheryl Crow or Kid Rock does.

5. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What Capstone said. One more caveat, and it might be a mistaken perception on my part but I don't think so, it seems that the view from hollywood is largely homogenous. There are a few notable exceptions but by in large hollywood seems to represent a single consistent view point.

What's the significance of this?

6. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I don't have a problem with someone having an opinion. I think it is great when someone is famous and uses that for a cause. What I have a problem with is when that famous person doesn't give a crap and is using the situation for their own gain, or because it is "hip"

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Don't misunderstand me -- I don't think actors should keep quiet. I just think that the credence we give them when it comes to politics should be limited unless they have something better than their fame to back them up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.