1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"History of Blah Blah Blah"

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Neverworlder, Jan 1, 2001.

1. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] Am I the only one who completely and utterly ignores all the "histories" in the game? You come across so many "Histories of" books and scrolls that it just bogs down the game having to stop and read each individual one - especially when they drone on and on about this town or that king (yawn, getting sleepy just thinking about them). The Forgotten Realms just does not interest me, as far as its history. So about a third of the way through Icewind Dale, I just started ignoring them, and I haven't looked back. I haven't read a single one in BG2. Am I the only one bored by these little texts in the game? I feel guilty and bad and wrong and ungrateful for not reading them, like I'm hurting the game designers' feelings or something. Like they care. God, I'm such a dork.

And will this have any consequences for me later on (i.e., is there important, quest-relevant info in these histories that my characters need to know)? Or are they the filler and fluff they appear to be?

2. Zorac Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Yes, they are fillers to add some history to the setting. You don't have to read them, they are there for those who want some depth in the game.

3. Elenias Nal'nair Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

In CRPGs they're useless, unless you WANT to read them. In P&P it's quite necessary and important to read books about the region you're traveling in or about to travel. Each piece of information COULD be useful and your mage normally just freaks out finding a library od some sort.

4. Nylson Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Ya know, ever since BG1 I have never read one of those books. I recall a few in BG1 having entertaining stories, but more often than not, its just boring filler.

5. Elite Knight Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

BTW
    BG2 is based on books right? can someone direct me to some information about it?

6. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well I for one know little about the forgotten realms, so I look at each story at least once. My only gripe is that there are sooo many duplicate copies in the game, and really none of the stories have any meaning in the game world as I remember it. Anyway, (plug for sorcerer) it's a lot more convenient to read forgotten realms history on this site as Taluntain has a large section of info on the subject. I don't know, I guess I feel it allows the player to get into the game world more if he knows something about it.

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Well I read some of the and found them reasonably interesting, because they give the story a wee bit more `depth´ (I´m a Tolkien freak and I read even the Silmarillion several times, so I´m battle hardened).

Playing BG-2 the second time time they started to be really tedious so I ignored them.
    I still do so.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks Crawl. I was just about to plug that. :D
    Anyone, FYI, at http://www.sorcerers.net/Worlds/FR/index.php you can find ALL of the histories that are in the game (yup, that listing contains all of the books you can find in the game), all neatly sorted for you to read. Beats reading them in the game any time.
    A bonus is the history of Myth Drannor which I added recently.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 02, 2001).]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  9. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Cool, very good! Just read the History of Myth Drannor. Tal may I ask where you got that info? I've grown a bit leery of all info about Myth Drannor due to the fact that there are so many versions of what happened. :(

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] It's from a campaign guide to Myth Drannor, i.e. official.

Check this out if you're interested in more info: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/FR_Downloads/tsr9558.zip

You'll find a lot more interesting details there.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 05, 2001).]

11. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Holy cow Taluntain! How did you get that? They actually gave it for free? Most companies would not do that!

Are there any other like products? I'm looking for Hellbound: The Blood War right now but am out of luck. :(

12. Taluntain

Media:
    Hellbound isn't one of them, sorry.
    Of course, they only released the Myth Drannor one online because it was out of print and pretty obsolete now.
    Still an excellent history book though.

13. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31

[​IMG] Hmmm, I tried to surf the site but couldn't get anything else. Is there some kind of "trick" to it?

14. Taluntain

Media:
  15. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I believe the books add a little role-playing aspect to the game. I haven't read all of the history books, but I have read many of them. I do have to agree that they aren't action packed or entirely well written, but that is realistic. They are just kind of F.Y.I. (If you care)

16. Drakron Du´Dark Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The books are a nice adicion to the game,but its nothing there to help you in the game. You just get to know more about the world of BG II, I use Shadow keep the read the books in the game, they are the same of BG I but the Book about Thetir was remove and that is a good thing since that country have now a new King and Queen.
    Besides not everthing in there is to help you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.