1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"High-XP, low-combat" quests for dualing

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Black Rose, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Black Rose Guest

I can think of a couple quests that would be useful for a DCed character working on his second class.. ie ones with big chunks of XP gained with little to no combat.

1. If you dual right before leaving the opening dungeon, you'll get a big chunk of XP after the fiasco with the thieves and cowls.
    2. The bridge murders give a lot of XP too for a little detective work.

Any other quests of that nature which would be useful in getting a fresh DCed character 'over the hump'?

2. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

The circus tent quest is an easy one, and the Harpers quest too. And if you make a mage, then learn all the spells you can!

3. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Be careful with a Mage learning spells. You can fill up you spell book at the lower levels with just SoA installed and not be able to erase them to get other spells. I believe you need ToB installed in order to erase spells out of your spell book. I'm not possitive about this though.

4. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Why have to erase spells? If quaffing enough genius potions, you can learn all spells!

5. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

the reason that you would have to erase spell out of your book is because there are more spells in each level than there is space on each page of your spellbook. If you load up a page of your spellbook with some useless spells , you won't be able to write anymore on that page. For example, there are at least 21 different 1st level spells. You can't physically put all of them in your spell book. There isn't enough space to write them. ToB added the option to be able to erase spells out of your book in order to put different ones in it. This is my point.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

IIRC you can put them all in the spellbook - including cheaters' (Summon Cow).

The ToB munchkinism is only about to get more XP and to keep only those spells you use mostly - if your INT is low.

7. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Here are some quests that give good XP with little or no fighting:
    * I will name quests below and that might be considered spoilerish *
    - "The Gate Riddle" - early on in the Unseeing Eye quest (42,250 xp).
    - "Madulf quest" in the Umar Hills (27,500 xp).
    Both the above give a fixed xp award, so are good when taken with few party members.

The next two give party xp awards (every member gets this amount) so are best taken with a full group.
    - "Sewer quest" below Copper Coronet.
    - "Druid" quest in Trademeet can be done with minimal fighting.

8. Lord Sarevok Guest

-Mae'Var's guildhall

-Killing that guy in the Copper Coronet(I only added this since the fight is so easy)

-Aran Linvail's quests(the first two require almost no combat)

-The Sculptor Quest(this requires a little cash however, which you might not have in abundance early on)

-All Graveyard Quests(littleman, the paladin and the orphan, Uncle Lester, the man that was Buried Alive)

Hope these help.

I myself did all of these when I dualed, and they helped a lot. If you dualed to mage, buy as many scrolls as you can, along with a few potions of genious. Problem is I'm lacking a theif(I dual classed my Assassin to a Mage at 13th level), since Nalia is crap, and I killed Yoshimo.

[This message has been edited by Lord Sarevok (edited December 25, 2001).]

9. Mirkwood Guest

The first job working for Maevar is easy (you just have to go steal an amulet), the second is taking on Rayic Gethras... not easy!

You could go detrap some things, the place where you find the Horn of Valhalla is a good place, also Galen Bayle's house is full of trapped chests. Each one will give you ~3K XP I think.

10. Alith Anar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This question depends HEAVILY upon which class you're dualling to, since the stronghold quests typically give very good XP for little effort.

Mae'Var Guildhall, at least the first quest is definitely an easy way to go. Rayic Gethras is okay, you just have to watch out for his Finger of Death and make sure that you take out his defences. Alternatively, create lots of monsters and run downstairs so he has to fight them first, and probably waste most of his powerful spells ;)

If you dual-classed to a CLERIC, the stronghold quests (if you select the appropriate response to the church) each yield about 20000 XP each, although they are 3 days (game-time) apart. There are three, if I remember correctly.

If you're LATER in the game, with a high-level Cleric (I think over level 14???) you can also get a LOT of cheap XP by blowing up Undead through "Turning." I believe my record is a lich, 5 skeleton warriors and three zombies in ONE GO. That's about 40000XP for 10 seconds' work.

Hope this helps..... or else as a last resort you could (DANGEROUS) drop one party member until you've surpassed the first level, since all other characters level up MUCH faster.

Cheers...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.