1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

High wisdom for rangers

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by kuemper, Aug 8, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Rangers don't get extra spells for having a high wisdom, do they? I know it helps with some saving throws, so would it be good to have high (15+), right?

2. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

According to pure AD&D rules, wisdom of 15 or higher gives a bonus to save vs spell against MIND effects only, like charm person, hold, confusion etc. And a low wis gives penalties. I dp not know if it is implemented on the game correctly though. Perhaps this can explain why Minsc(with his horrible wis) tends to fail his saves a lot.

Plus high dex also gives bonus to save vs spells that require fast moving and balance, such as firaball, lightning bolt etc. I do not know if it is implemented too. The game does not say ANYTHING about this.

Can somebody shed light on this mystery?

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

They're not supposed to. Paladins either. The WIS bonus is only for priests, while rangers and paladins are warriors. Only clerics and druids get the WIS bonus spells.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Good. I gave him a 15 wisdom and shoved the extra points in charisma. I know a lot of things aren't implemented from PnP to CRPGs. Thanks, people. :)

5. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

So there's really no game mechanics benefit to Will save from a high Wisdom?

(See, I actually played Icewind Dale II before Baldur's Gate II, and that does have benefits to Will saves from high Wisdom. It still confuses me how exactly it works in Baldur's Gate II.)

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@Western Paladin: IWD II follows the very excellent 3rd Edition DnD rule system whereas Baldurs Gate II being older, follows the 2nd Edition DnD rule system.

In 3rd Ed. all the ability scores have a direct affect on the character in some way, regardless of class...I realise that this is true of 2nd ed. also, but it is to a much lesser extent.

I hope that explains it... :p

7. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Unfortunately WIS doesn't seem to help with saves in BG2.

Basically:

STR: weight, damage and To Hit rolls (also % for bashing locks)

DEX: AC and To Hit (ranged) + thief %s (and ranger's stealth, and bard's pickpocket)

CON: hitpoints.

INT: % to learn spells, number of spells known per level for a wizard, max spell level, lore.

WIS: bonus spells for a divine spellcaster, lore + conditions the use of the Wish spell.

CHA: NPC reactions (along with reputation), barter prices.

High scores in INT, WIS and CHA can trigger certain dialogue options (for instance the "chest" dialogue with the beholder in the Underdark requires high WIS).

What is not implemented (Pnp rules):

STR: bend bars. ;)

CON: system shock survival, resurrection survival.

INT: languages known.

WIS: magical attack adjustment, spell failure.

CHA: number of henchmen, loyalty adjustment.

8. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Caradhras, I think the bend bars would be the same roll for bashing locks in PnP.

9. Felinoid

@Klorox:
    Actually, there are two different values: Open Doors (rolled on a d20), and Bend Bars / Lift Gates (rolled on percentile dice).

10. Klorox

And Felinoid gets me again! (I really need to look at books before posting!)

11. hedron Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

"CON: ..., resurrection survival."

that's in the manual, did it not make it to the game?

12. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I thought that locks cannot be bashed in BG2? This has never worked for me.

13. Caradhras

Media:
    @Cúchulainn: You can force some of them, Draw Upon Holy Might helps, I guess nobody does it, except when soloing because you get no XP.

@Hedron: sometimes characters can die permanently (depending on your difficulty setting), but when they're not hacked into pieces you can always resurrect them (even Viconia who has the lowest CON among NPCs can always be revived) there are no limits to the number of times they can be brought back, neither do they lose CON. The fact that it is not implemented in the game makes Khalid's death even more pathetic.

14. krunchyfrogg Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

In characrter creation, you are best putting that wisdom waaay low. Or 10 if you expect to use lore. Or 18 is you plan on casting wish.

this is of course, if youre not a cleric or druid.

SPOILERS

btw: are there any ill effects if you choose to lose a point of wisdom in spellhold for a ranger or paladin with wisdom as low as possible?

15. Felinoid

@krunchyfrogg:
    By Minsc's stats, I'd say no. :rolleyes: IMO, they should though.

16. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I'm playing a paladin now with a WIS of 15. Does this affect my spellcasting abillity at all?

17. Caradhras

Media:
    @krunchyfrogg: It doesn't matter, you won't lose your status. Btw if you dual classed before losing a point which would bring you below the requirements for dual classing there would be no consequences.

@Drugar: it doesn't.

18. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    @Caradhras: thank you for the reply. I think I will build another paladin than and redistribute the points.

19. Klorox

Drugar: Shadowkeeper is your friend!

Felinoid: That's interesting. In P&P, you can lose your Ranger or Paladin status.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

IIRC, the minimum wisdom for a pally is 13 and for a ranger is 14. I played a pally with a 17 wisdom and got no addition spells. Sometimes, we old folks forget these things. :p

@Fel - You aren't alone about Minsc.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.