1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Here's something I don't like Bush for...

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Hacken Slash, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Control of several major US ports will be turned over to a Dubai based company.

Here's a link...

I know you all may think I'm a Bushogist, but there are several things that I take strong objection to...his education plan is poor, he failed utterly on the privatization of Social Security...and this latest port deal...this is one of them, maybe the biggest. In truth, there's probably little that could really be done in our global economy world, but it burns my onion that operational control of major ports like New York and Philadelphia would be turned over to a middle eastern nation that's spawned terrorists. It seems such a shame that there's no domestic company that couldn't operate our own ports for pride and profit.

It is rather ironic in this case that the administration is calling Democrat opposition "bigots", while the Democrats are scrambling to draft protectionist legislation.

Anyone else bothered by this except me? Anyone else realize how significant this erosion of American Industry is? Anyone else want to still fixate on the vital topic of a few pellets of bird shot?

[edit] Sorry, the country is UAE, the company is Dubai ports

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, from what I understand the operations were already under the control of a London-based company (Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Co.), and UAE is simply buying that company.

It seems strange that we should object, but it's also interesting that Dubai Ports World is a state-owned company, so it is a little different.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'm concerned about it, but probably for different reasons (leaving any issues of patriotism aside, of course, since they don't apply to me in this case). I'm not as convinced about the "terrorists" argument as you, Hack - but Frist's concerns about the handover and sale being rushed are legitimate grievances, IMO (if accurate).

I don't agree with protectionism for its own sake, but a first reading suggests that the proposed legislation would be a delay for a review, not a brick wall. That people would oppose this on the sole grounds that two 9/11 hijackers were UAE citizens seems obscene - I haven't seen or heard of anyone in the US kicking up a stink about Australian businesses after having apprehended an Australian national fighting with the Taliban (except about his treatment in Guantanamo).

In short, while there's no such thing as absolute security, there's no reason for DPW to have lesser standards, and without evidence of their complicity in terrorist activities, no reason to suspect it. Indeed, with this matter being raised, they'll probably be assessed more stringently. Most of the dock employees will probably be exactly the same as they were under the old owners, and most new employees will probably be drawn from the local labour market. I can see why it concerns you, Hack - but I think that a "homeland security" worry is not supported by the evidence to hand thus far.

I'd have started on a rant about the evils of privatisation, but since it's been privately operated for years, that has no bearing on this matter.

Well, if there's nothing else to shoot the breeze about...

(NS ducks for cover after abhorrent pun)

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Heh, HS, now you know how the rest of us feel, hearing W justify questionable policy as not being bad for national security because he says so.

Yes, thanks!! Sure people are paying attention to Dubai, Libby, Iraq, massive budgets, etc, but Birdshotgate is durn funny for sure, kinda like poetic justice. Sure it doesn't have much to do with policy, but neither did Swift Boating, Internet-inventing, stained Gap dresses, aggressive rabbits, etc.

From the monday comedy shows:

5. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Mmm...

Being as "British" is the official term for citizenship of the United Kingdom, which includes Northern Island, we've spawned one or two terrorists ourselves. Of course the big difference is they aren't likely to operate on Amercian soil - except for fund-raising of course.

Although I'm generally strictly Anti-Bush (not even anti-republican), I probably agree with him on this one.

6. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I am not really sure if the worries about Dubai operating the big american ports are justified, but politically this move is creating a mess. Just look at all the stink raised by Bush's own party (the Democrats are piling on, sure). Bush is apparently talking tough so far (promising to veto any legislation trying to stop this hand-over), but I think is only a matter of time until he folds.

This is pretty funny in a way. After all this talk about Homeland Security and the war against terrorism... handing the administration of US biggest ports to a country in the Middle East really looks like a dumb move. IIRC, some time ago there was a lot of noise about US ceding control of some internet servers to an international body, by reason of them being important to US economy and security. OTOH, ports don't seem to matter so much :)

7. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Dubai run the port, they have no control over security. Besides I thought the UAE were US allies.

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I saw a bit about this on CSPAN last night, and DPW wouldn't have complete control over port operations to begin with; they will have management of operations of some terminals and cranes at each port.

Also, apparently the transaction was publicly known about since October/November and has had the same review process done on it as every other foreign transaction. As well, DPW and P&O have known track records with the US and other parts of the world.

I really don't see why this is such a problem...

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I agree with BTA. OK, EAU has been known to harbor a few terrorists, but honestly, even in countries where terrorism is common, I would have to think that the vast majoirty of the population are still NOT TERRORISTS. I can see why people would like to see the ports controlled by an American company, but it seems the arguement is not that they are opposed to a foreign company managing the ports, but that they are opposed to this particular foreign company managing the ports, which seems silly to me.

10. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    While I do think it was a questionable act under the current situation, I don't think there's a real problem with what he's doing, its just something that makes people nervous and there are too many nervous people out there now.

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

What's ironic is that many people which call the opponents of this deal with Dubai anti-arab are also perfectly fine with the abrigement of privacy and civil rights imposed by such laws as the Patriot act.

So, illegal searches, wiretappings and so on directed against private persons are okay, because we fight terrorism (one could also add imprisonment and torture, for some unlucky fews). On the other hand, scrutinizing the deals made with arab companies with links to people in the administration is going too far.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Here's the really funny thing. The Dubai company that everyone's so worried about is only doing the exact same thing as the English company they bought out. They don't want to replace American officials or anything, just the English ones that are no longer employed.

13. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If a UAE company can do a better job of running some operations at the ports, then it behooves the US to give them the contract -- IIRC, this is a central tenet of free enterprise -- the person who does the best job for the lowest price gets the job without regard for other issues.

Now as for security, well, that's another security -- a nation should not sub-contract out the job of safeguarding its borders to foreigners of any stripe, be they closest ally or best qualified. but from what has been said here it would appear that port security is still in US hands, so no problem there.

If, however, the issue under discussion is American jobs, then of course there is every possibility that an American company should have gotten the contract to run the port, as it behooves the government to give jobs to Americans before giving those jobs to foreigners, as that keeps the $$ in the country and protects the interests of citizens before the interests of outsiders. Any opposition politician worth his salt is going to challenge this if he wants his constituants to take him seriously come next election when the issue of the unemployment rate comes up.

14. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

There is a critical difference between the Dubai Ports Company and the UK based company it's replacing. Dubai Ports, along with all other Corporations in UAE, is essentially owned by the government. In essence, we're turning control of critical, major US ports to a foreign nation.

I'm not all wigged out because two 9/11 hijackers were UAE citizens, that's merely an irony...but I think it's awful for the US to deliver control of strategic and vital assets to a foreign nation...a nation that served as the pivot point for illegal nuclear material flowing from Pakistan and India to Iran and Korea...a nation that was one of only 3 in the world to recognize the Taliban...a nation that led the charge 30 years ago to bring America to it's knees during the OPEC oil embargo.

Port security will still be overseen by the Coast Guard...but a great American Industry, Shipping and Portage, will be under control of a foreign power.

That's what's wrong with this deal and I think that Bush is just sucking up to a recent friend in the "War on Terror" with no thought to our future and the future of Longshoremen and dockworkers in the affected areas.

15. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

This deal is a perfect illustration of what Bush and his cronies are really all about: money.

Everything with Bush and Cheney et. al. is about handing over huge no-bid government contracts to their friends. That includes their old Yale buddies, their country club golfing pals, their hunting friends and of course their oil-rich Arab friends.

There's nothing "conservative" about these deals: they are just another form of big-government spending. Corporate welfare is all it really is. Of course they will pretend to actually care about things like the "gay agenda" and someone hippy burning a flag on the Supreme Court steps just to get the votes of the 40% or so of Americans who think these are important issues.

And then when a deal like this comes up it usually just slides right on by most of us without being noticed. Fox News certainly wasn't going out of its way to mention this deal... not until CNN started talking about it.

Similar deals have been inked with China. China, of course, hasn't given the world any terrorists (yet). Oh sure, they imprison, torture and execute people for their beliefs and force women to have abortions but hey look over there! There's a couple dudes getting married! *gasp*

And the fact that the a couple of the 9/11 hijackers happened to be UAE citizens shouldn't really be an issue. Imagine Canada cancelling a deal with the US because we spawned Tim McVee and the Unabomber.

What should be a concern is that Osama bin Laden had a secret meeting a few years ago with the crown princes of the UAE. How do we know this? Because we were considering an attempt to take him out while this meeting was taking place but decided against it since it would also take out most of the UAE royal family. And we certainly wouldn't want to get our dear friends in the UAE angry with us...

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I don't agree with this at all. UAE is investing in the ports and will only manage some terminals and cranes. The actual longshoremen are going to be the same people as before. That's hardly turning over control of the ports to UAE: what are they going to do, order their American workers to stop loading and unloading freight? Scary!

17. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    As I said before, this is not control of the whole ports, but only of a portion of the ports that were already controlled by a foreign business, and the security is only for that section of the port, the warehouses and ships and stuff, not for the port in general or for importation/exportation. This is the not letting Green Peace bomb our ships stuff.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    The one problem I have is that we are already "rolling the dice" so to speak when it comes to our ports, with only about 5% of all containers being inspected. By allowing EAU control of the port, even in a limited capacity, it seems like we are upping the ante yet again.

It is true that this particular area was in control of a foreign nation anyway - Great Britain - but I really can't say that switiching out Great Britain for EAU is an even exchange - it's not like we draw names out of a hat and all countries are functionally equivalent. Furthermore, I still question why we are allowing ANY foriegn nation to have control over ANY portion of our ports, with homeland security being such a hot topic since 9/11. I don't even like the fact that Great Britain was involved in port management, and they've been our biggest ally in the war on terror.

I guess the fundamental issue I have here is "Why aren't US companies taking care of this?" and "Why are we trusting any form of port security to another nation - regardless of their track record?"

And I'm amazed at Bush's response to this. I believe him when he says that he didn't know this was going on until after the story broke - it's not the first time Bush has been asleep at the wheel - but that he claims it will be a slap in the face to Arabs if we don't allow them to do this. That seems so inconsistent to where he has been over the past few years. Whatever happened to, "We have to be right all the time, but they only have to be right once?" I mean, even if there is only a 1% greater chance that EAU turns over some critical piece of information to a terrorist organazation - isn't that too big of a chance to take?

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Saying that 5% are inspected is misleading. All containers are inspected as to where they came from, where they are going and what they contain, and are scored vs. risk. High risk containers are scrutinized further all the way up to opening them up and taking a look.

Security is most effective prior to the container arriving in a US port; once it has arrived, it's kinda too late isn't it? So why the concern over who's managing the loading and unloading?

Besides, as I said, the day-to-day operation is in the hands of Americans; it is the overall management that is handled by the company, and they must meet the security standards and procedures as set forth by the Coast Guard and the Customs and Border Patrol who will be making sure that they are being followed.

For the six ports that are part of the deal, there are between 800 and 900 terminals. The deal would give management of 24 terminals to UAE.

And DPW is not the only state owned company to have leased port facilities; Singapore has leases in LA and elsewhere.

As to why US companies aren't taking care of it: Obviously, the commercial aspects aren't desireable enough.

I really don't understand this sentiment. We're not trusting any security to another nation. All workers must be citizens or permanent residents, and as I said, the security standards and procedures are not set up by the companies leasing the terminals.

What are you talking about? You think the President follows every single minutia in this country? That's what all the various departments of the government and laws are for. This was a simple transaction of DPW wanting to buy assets of P&O, and they went through all the proper channels to get the deal done, including a security review by many departments of the government. The controversy over this is astounding to me.

[ February 27, 2006, 22:39: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    But BTA, indirectly we ARE trusting security to another nation. If they are managing the ports, then they are giving orders to American workers - like what packages do and don't get opened up to have a looksie inside. And if there is a way that they get certain packages not looked into, then they have some measure of control of US security.

If there is one thing we've learned over the years is that an organization like al Queda is very patient. It took years to plan the 1993 bombing of the WTC, and years to plan the 9/11 hijacking. You can't tell me someone isn't thinking, "If this goes through we have an opportunity. It may take five years, but we can get to SOMEBODY in management." Call me a racist, but I do believe that the chance of "getting to somebody" is much higher if we're talking about someone from EAU than someone who is American or British. I will grant that it's possible that someone from any given country can be bought off, but why take chances?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.