1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help with HoW's Burial Isle!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Luz, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Luz Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I just finished beating IWD1 a few weeks ago and hopped immediately to playing HOW, importing all my characters for it. Only two of my chars actually came with their equip. because the mass of them died in the final battle in IWD. I have been steadily restocking all members who are without armor or weapons. I did all the quests within Lonelywood and moved onto and won the fight at the barbarian camp, then went to Burial Isle. Once I was finally able to get into the cave, I quickly discovered that my group, no matter what, cannot seem to beat these creatures. My group is made up of this:
    human fighter, level 13
    dwarven fighter, level 13
    human thief, level 16
    half-elf ranger, level 12
    human cleric, level 13
    half-elf mage, level 13
    I have cast every single spell I have and drunk every potion possible, to no avail. I cannot beat these creatures. I have fought the drowned dead and their wailing virgins over 100 times, and have never once come out with any members of my party still living. I want to keep playing, but I can't get through burial isle! Please help!

[ March 04, 2003, 02:00: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

2. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Yeah, Burial Isle is *tough*.

Keep your party together; do not spread out at all.

Move forward, inch by inch until you see *one* enemy. Rest assured that all the other ones in that entire group know where you are, now. Backoff quite a bit. This makes that group of enemies (figure, it's usually 6 or 7) trail out. They play follow-the-leader, all the way to you.

Have your cleric using "turn undead".

And bear this in mind. One you clear out the entire topside of the island, it says cleared out. But the underground section regenerates enemies. There are "set" groups that are down there, and once you clear them out, that particular group stays cleared out. But wailing virgins and a couple of barbarian-undeads will spawn in kind of random places every few minutes of gametime.

So, the first thing to do is clear out then entire topside. That is the first task. The whole topside.

Once that's done, entire a cave. Any cave. And attack at full blast with everything you can possibly muster. Area effect spells, turn undead, summoned weapons.

Do as much damage as possible, and retreat aboveground. Rest.

Do that until you have ALL of the caves entrances cleared out. There tends to be a set group of enemies guarding each entrance.

After you get that done (and that's no easy task, either), now you have a choice to make. Burial Isle is an EXCELLENT place to level up at, simply because the enemies keep spawning. And it's normally a single wailing virgin, that you can gang up on (that sounds really bad, but I didn't mean it like that).

Anytime you encounter a single virgin, all alone, that's usually a "spawned" one. Any time you encounter 2 or 3, with some skeletons and bone blades or barbarians, that's usually a set group that will stay whacked.

There is really only one thing you have to get done there, and that's recover a single item. And talk to someone. You can focus on that if you want, but I strongly suggest you use that area to level up.

Remember:

Clear out the topside, first. Because you can always retreat topside, and rest near the boat.

Enter each cave, and don't move from the immediate area around the entrance; just clear out that little area, and go back topside.

Hit with everything you possibly can, full blast. Use potions if you need to, but try your best to rely on spells instead.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.