1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help vs Planar Sphere Demon

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by nataben1314, Apr 3, 2007.

1. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I am currently playing a solo 12/13 Gnome Illusitionist/Thief in an unmodded game (well at least no difficulty adding mods), and am having problems with the demon who's heart I need for the Planar Sphere quest (I believe it is a Tanari). It is him and six or so mephits/quasits/imps.

The problem is that I dont have any saves from outside the sphere, so I need to beat this guy with what I currently have.

The best I can do is kill his mephit/quasit/imp friends by using deathfog+cloudkill+web and running around, getting them to pass through it, but then I am left alone with the Tanari and I can only get it down to injured with Melf's Minute Meteors before he kills me!

Any general tips? If you need more specific info on what equipment/spells I have just lemme know.

2. Truper Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I am probably not a good source of advice here, as I have never soloed, but I can throw out a couple of ideas - although a lot depends on what equipment and spells you have.

If you have a +3 weapon, you could try maximum buffing, and beating it to death. A spell sequencer with Blur/Mirror Image and Tensor's Transformation might do the trick.

Can you summon allies? If so, you might be able to summon enough to distract it for a couple casting of Melf's to bring it down.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are three Tanari in the area -- all three are basically the same. They have about 100 hit points and are immune to fire and electricity, take only 50% damage from cold, have a 50% magic resistance (lower resistance would help), and an AC of -5. And as you found out they hit often and hard.

But they are quite susceptable to acid damage. Melf's Acid Arrow, acid arrows and other such things should help (blackblood club could come in handy if you can hit it -- Tensor's Transformation). Give yourself all the buffs and be sure you are hasted so it never gets near you. If you go the lower resistance route you should have quite a few spells that will damage it (I happen to like skull traps).

Ring of the Ram should cause it damage (you did pickpocket the first one from Tolgeras in the Government Building when you first got this quest like a good little thief didn't you?).

4. Elfen Lied

Elfen Lied The Bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to

i usually just pound on they with everything ive got.

they arent the toughest demons in the game, least not when i fight them.

Tensers Tranformation, buffs and summonables are good.

i think you can use cloudkill on them too, im not sure, i havent tried it, but if it can a dragon it should be able to at least do some damage to a demon.

you only need one to get out of the sphere.

5. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

Interesting, thanks guys. Unfortunately I do not have access to Tensor's Transformations, but I do have a crap-load of acid arrows, melf's acid arrow, and a wand of monster summoning, so I'll just try acid hit and run with summons keeping him busy.

6. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

They are not the most difficult boss around, that is sure. You need good defense nevertheless or they will shred you into pieces.

If you have free action (ring or potion would help) they can not hold you with their death gaze. And if you have stoneskins and pro from magical weapons and mirror images, they can not touch you. Now blast away with anything you have, although you may want to lower their resistance at first. I used wands of frost, blast it, run away, blast it again, and run away. It takes some time but they fall eventually.

7. Aegor Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Or you can just shoot him down with arrows :D , his not really that tough. Just stoneskin/mirror image for protection, haste, equip Tuigan's Bow with acid arrows and then shoot and run. I just tried it and it took me about 12 hits to bring him down. The Death Gaze/Vampiric Touch could be a problem so the ring of free action that Silverstar recommended with a Spell Immunity (vs Necromancy) might come in handy.

8. nataben1314 Gems: 10/31

I beat him :D

The key was the acid vulnerability, I didn't know about that!

I just used the death fog + cloudkill to rid the place of little winged things, then occupied him with summoned stuff (the little summoned dogs actually damaged him a few times!) and shot acid arrows, melf's acid, and magic missles at him. It was really easy once I knew the right tactic! One crucial thing was to not try using MMM's. The reason was that I had no other means of gaining free action besides Arbane's Sword, which I couldn't switch to if I was using MMM. So I just stuck with arrows and if he threw out a death gaze I'd quickly pause and switch to Arbane's.

9. Bombur

Bombur I'm always last and I don't like it

You can always use the staff of fire (found in the elemental room of fire) to summon fire elementals to kill the demons. Summon 5 of them, send them in to do their thing, then summon more as they die. The first demon (to the left) is the hardest. If I recall correctly, at least one of the others is not powerful enough to damage fire elementals -- maybe the one at the top of the screen when you go in from the right (go around the edge of the screen counter-clockwise to get to him).

10. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

Oh I thought they were all the same? First time I got stuck on this plane I got creamed and badly! After you know how to deal with the fool it's pretty easy though :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.