1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help the newbie!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by joacqin, Dec 21, 2006.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have finally caved in and gotten the game afte much hesitation but seeing as nothing was going on in World of Warcraft I decided to try NWN2 out while I wait for the Burning Crusade.

I must say that I am thouroughly underwhelmed, even with my low expectations. Everything is so cumbersome and slow. The camera angle is basically never right and when you try to switch it around it behaves like it was glued down. Slow and sloggy, just like the character movement. What is the best camera angle that is actually usuable and where the camera follows my character and swings around when I take a corner and not end up with my watching my character running towards the screen with no chance of seeing what is in front. As it is now I spend half my gaming time trying to make it possible to see what is in front of my character.

I am also wondering if there is a smooth way to use special attacks or it is the "shift-click" the mob thing which the manual speaks of?

Dont got many more questions for now, will keep this thread alive with more newbishness. As for my game I created a tiefling rogue with the aim for assassin but after looking at the assassin class I saw that it wasnt really all that good so my aim now is a good old fashioned dualwielding maximise amount of attacks, high dex, finessed rogue/fighter where I actually still might replace new rogue levels for assassin levels when it becomes available. Oh one more question before I go too far with my character are there really good daggers available? Because I want to specialize in daggers due to pure RP reasons but it would suck if there are no imba daggers laying around.

2. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You'll be able to create some even if you can't find anything good. :)

3. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I got another question, why cant I trade with anyone? When I ask a vendor to see his goods nothing happens, nothing at all. Only time I have been able to trade was the vendor in hte tutorial and after that nothing happens when I try. I have patched up the game and it is probably some small stupid thing I am missing but what? I got several unidentified items I would like to get identified and am carrying around way too much stuff.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    For me, the default top-down camera view was the best. It centers on your currently "possessed" party member and you can mouse to the sides of the screen to change the camera angle, and zoom in and out with the mouse wheel. I almost never switched from the top-down camera.

In the options you can change the rate at which the camera moves to what you like.

About the vendors, sounds like something isn't working right.

5. Deadman Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

If you mean Galen in west harbour he will only trade with you once and thats it. Should be okay after that though. May need to check if your inventory and merchant windows are not overlapping. Just drag the inventory window away and see if this is the case.

6. joacqin

Media:
    I dont have the inventory window open, should I? Nothing at all happens when I say: Let me see your goods. I get no trade window or nothing. It sounds like it is something obvious I am missing but I just cant figure out what it is. Sounds like a pretty funky bug if it is a bug. I am at Fort Locke. I cant for hte life of me figure out what is wrong, nothing happens when I try to trade with any vendor. Dialogue window just disapear and then nothing. Anyone experienced this?

[ December 21, 2006, 18:53: Message edited by: joacqin ]

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not me. After a dialog to look at goods, the store inventory and my inventory would come up...

8. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Do you have patch 1.03 installed? I heard about the merchant bug someplace else (so other people have it, too), but patch should fix it. You might benefit from checking the Bioware forums, (http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/index.html) I think they have one dedicated to technical support.

9. joacqin

Media:
    I patched it up fully with the autopatcher as soon as I installed it so I should have hte most recent patch.

10. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

That's a bug for sure.

My advice is take the time to mess around with all the settings: graphics, camera, interface. The defaults aren't very good and are a bit slow. Remember that you can hold down the middle mouse button (or wheel) and get a mouse-look type thing going.

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Okay, so are you sure that the autopatcher finished updating your game properly? Because it is possible that it failed.

Check your version number on the startup screen, in the upper left corner.

12. joacqin

Media:
    I have game version 1.03.788. Downloading some small patch now. Going to browse the techie forums a bit and see what I can find.

Bah, found out what problem was. I am a naughty boy and the game decided to punish me. Stupid dvd-protection. Apparently this "bug" is somekind of function in place to yank the tail of all pirates in the world. Yarr ...

[ December 22, 2006, 10:50: Message edited by: joacqin ]

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Oh? Better watch out for that myself, then. :happy:

** Edit**

Nevermind. Got too irritated to the clumsy camera, controls, nerfed spells, and louzy story/dialog. They basically raped my favorite class: summoner. :(

And what's up with the poor gamma? The module-creator looked interesting, but it's too bloody dark to see anything!

[ December 25, 2006, 23:48: Message edited by: Wordplay ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.