1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Help Me Buy My First HDTV

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Death Rabbit, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yo.

So the soon-to-be-wife and I are going to buy ourselves a nice house-warming present in the coming months: our first HDTV. Since I'm sure some (most) of you are better-versed in the world of big-ass TV's than I, I thought I'd consult the braintrust here for some advice.

A few quick specs (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on any of these):
    • We think a 42-46" will probably be fine. 50" or above seems like overkill.
    • UPDATE: We'll definitely go for 1080p.
    • From what I've read, since we'll be doing a lot of gaming and we're energy-conscious, I believe an LCD is a better option than a Plasma.
    • We're apartment-dwellers atm, so wall-mounting isn't interesting to us.
    • We'd like a well-known brand (like Sharp or Sony) but we're certainly open to the little guys, like Westinghouse or VIZEO - we just need more info.
    • We'd like to stay under $1500 or so.

Any and all recommendations, horror-stories and general tips are greatly appreciated. We're certainly open to buying online (so providing a link that Tal can get a kickback from would be nice), but I'm also not dumb enough to buy something like this online I've never seen in person, so finding a store version for comparison before we buy would be nice (hence, no recommendations that are too esoteric, please).

Also - if any of you have read past similar threads from me, you know how anal and thorough a researcher I am before buying new electronics - so feel free to go crazy with the details. :)

Thanks a pantload.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The size you want depends on how close you'll be sitting to it. Remember, these TVs all have the same resolution (well each class has the same resolution; 1080p is higher reolution that 720p) so bigger TVs have bigger pixels and will look grainier the closer you get.

I have read the limit for 720p is ~40-42", so it looks like you're at that limit, so you may want to get 1080p. They're typically more expensive by a few hundred dollars. And remember, broadcast HDTV is only 720p as of now, but BluRay is 1080p. So again it depends on what you're going to want to use it for.

You also want to consider the inputs the TV has and supports vs. what you are going to be connecting to it. Are you going to have an AV receiver to handle HDMI switching etc. or are you going to want your TV to do it? If you want your TV to do it all, you will want to make sure the one you buy has all the connections you'll need.

I'd suggest looking online for reviews of ones you're interested in because from what I've seen there's significant variation even among different models from the same vendor.

I recently bought a VIZIO 42" 720p LCD and have been very happy with it (no BluRay player yet). I've got the sound through an older (i.e. no HDMI switching; only TOSLink) AV receiver, a component connection for my HD cable video, HDMI for my DVR extender video, and S-Video for an old DVD player. And it still has (I think) one free component and one free HDMI input (as well as other less useful connections like S-Video and composite).

You definitely want to take a look at what you want to buy, but I always wonder whether the top names get their sets adjusted to look better in the stores than the cheaper ones :)

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've got a panasonic hdtv and it's fab!

The only problem we have with ours is that my dear other half chose a piano black surround. It looks great but it attracts dust like a magnet so I have to dust it every day (instead of every month like the rest of the house) or it looks like a real mess

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I've updated above - we'll definitely be going for 1080p. We'll be getting a PS3 around the same time. Along those lines - thanks for the tip about HDMi connections. Eventually we'll have a PS3 and a Wii - so that should handle all Blue-Ray, DVD and gaming needs, and we'll likely get a decent (but not too fancy) audio system for it as well. So I don't think we'll need too many connections, but I'll make sure it's enough for at least those.

We'll be 6-10ft away. I think we're in the correct range for that size. I think maybe shooting for a 42" with more features than a 46" of the same price is a smart way to go.

I have to say the VIZIO brand intrigues me. They've been getting great reviews and I hear they're very popular, yet they're able to undercut the big-boys significantly on their pricepoints. It makes me wonder what the catch is...

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No catch as far as I'm aware. I'm happy with my VIZIO, and I bought it because it was cheap and got decent reviews. But maybe I'm not so picky as others which is why you'd want to take a gander at it before you buy.

7. Death Rabbit

Media:
    They certainly look great from what I've seen browsing in stores. Sam's Club usually has 1 or 2 for sale at any given time, and so does Best Buy - but they don't carry nearly as many of them as the big-name brands, it seems.

Honestly, unless I can find a compelling reason to steer clear, we'll likely pick up a 42" 1080p VIZIO. I think the difference between a 42" and a 46" is so negligible it doesn't really justify the extra money, myself. Also - I'm going to aim for as high a contrast ratio and mHz rate as I can possibly get. Any idea what my minimum for quality should be? Say, is 20,000:1 a good baseline?

I'm not super-picky or a brand fan-boy, so I'm pretty much like you in that regard. I just want to know it works, it'll last a good long while, there are no major manufacturer defects and it'll handle gaming and hi-def movies well. I don't need top of the line, really.

8. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    If you want high contrast ratio, you want plasma. But again, don't overthink the specs; buy what looks good to you. I've heard that the 120Hz stuff is a gimmick, but what do I know?

9. Death Rabbit

Media:
    A lot more than me, usually! :p

I do want high contrast, but not enough to jump to plasma. So many LCD's have high enough contrast ratios now that I don't think it's necessary. Especially on the 2008 Samsung models - 20,000:1 seems pretty standard.

Update: this one looks pretty dope.

10. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    120Hz is no gimmick. Our TV has the ability to switch from 60Hz to 120Hz in the settings, and the difference is astounding. 60Hz has *way* too much ghosting. If we ever get a new TV in a few years, we're defiantly getting a 240Hz (or possibly 480Hz if that speed is out by then).

VIZIO is supposed to be a very good brand. Costco is touting the brand like it's the king of all HDTVs. :rolleyes:

11. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Hmmm...I keep forgetting about CostCo...

12. Kitrax

Media:
    We love Costco...they're not affiliated with Wal Mart in any way, shape, or form, and we get 2% cash back on all purchases! :love:

I just wish they offered our TV when we were ready to buy...they offer their own tech support, and have one of the best return policies...not that we're having any problems with our TV.

13. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

14. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The 100 and 200 herz is different than in the previous types of tv's.

It corrects the image by adding missing frames to smooth the overall view. Like the running text during financial programs. Take at least 100 herz. It is available only in the top models. When you have a blu ray player you will notice.

At least 3 hdmi ports. The gold plated hdmi cable is only better at long distances.

The best brands at this moment are Samsung and Sony. Be carefull, different series vary in quality.

15. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Since you look like you have a good idea about which TV you want, suggestion about HDMI: Get more than one HDMI port... it is frustrating having to get behind my TV everytime I want to switch between the PS3 and watching television.

And for HDMI cables... they are all pretty much equal. I bought an expensive one only to find out later that a ten dollar one works just as well.

16. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I went for a Samsung, and couldn't be happier with it.

17. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Which Samsung, Cap'n?

18. Kitrax

Media:
    We have a Samsung 52" 71 Series LCD and we're very happy with it. It might not have the LED backlight like the 81 Series does, but the picture is amazing.

For 46" Samsungs, there are the LN46A550, LN46A650, and the LN46A750....I wouldn’t recommend anything lower than the 550 Series, and you really don't need anything higher than the 750 Series, unless you have a lot of money to burn. ;)

Here are some prices right now on Newegg:
    46" LN46A550 = $1,150.00
    46" LN46A650 = $1,600.00
    40" LN40A750 = $1,600.00

19. Death Rabbit

Media:
    Unless there's a significant difference between the 46" 550 and the 650, we'll be putting the 550 in our top list.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The 6 serie has the 100 herz feat from 37 inch and higher. It also has a newer type of panel. : www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/...type=lcdtv&model_cd=LN46A650A1FXZA&fullspec=F

You must decide for yourself is the extra features are worth the money. I cannot tell is the 5 has hdmi at the back. Only one hdmi is not enough. 3 is minimal. (settopbox/ blu ray/ console). Seems unlikely.

At the last moment i went for sony kw 40w400. It scored as high as the Samsung 40 656 but looked better. Until then I had a small 4/3 television. A last note. I read 120 herz, here in The Netherlands it is 100 herz. Odd.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.