1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

help me backstab!

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Lord Balduran, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Ok, someone please help me out with this:

I can't figure out how to backstab!!
    I ge behind the enemy, have someone attacking from the front, and then have my thief attack from the rear. No extra damage.

Ok, I admit that I'm clueless here, but what am I doing wrong? Can you only backstab with certain weapons? what about armor (I think I have studded leather +2 and a longsword +2). Does the cursor change when you do a backstab? Do you have to be hiding in the shadows first? I have a halfling fighter/thief. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Just hide in the shadows, and everything will be okay

3. Wingfoot Guest

i always have my thief scout ahead while in stealth mode. i then sneak up behind an enemy still in stealth mode, and just attack. you really dont need to have someone attacking from the front, that reminds me of the 1st POR, you had to have someone in front.

if you land a backstab, you should see something like this in the dialogue window:
    backstab double damage, and then the amount of damage done.

you seem to be doing everything right. you can only use longswords, shortswords, and daggers to backstab. two-handed swords, and bastard swords wont work.

4. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

You seem to be doing allright, just make sure you are behind an enemy in a stealth mode (the status line will say Hide in Shadows Succeded). If your backstab is successful, you will see in a status window "Backstab Double, Triple or Quadruple Damage".

5. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] See replies to BobBK on 25th aug. It might be that even if you have someone else "in front' your sneak thief from behind attacks first - due to initiative roll/weapon speed /dex bonus etc. In this case the AI calls your attack 'in front' so when your fighter hits his/her attack is from behind for that round.
    Way round it - have lots of people 'in front' attacking with arrows. This increases the chances that one of those attacks occurs before yours.

6. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] My Fighter/Thief's backstab just went up to x4 last week, so I thought I'd give teh old backstab a try for the first time. (Never had attempted it before.) It's great! All I've had to do is be in successful stealth mode and attack with a melee (no bows) weapon. I think official D&D rules dictate a short sword, club, or dagger has to be used and nothing larger, but I don't know if that's true in IWD (I use the Short Sword of Days anyway, which often Slows the victim as well), and I haven't tried with a larger weapon - although I've read long swords work, too. Use the game option to display your to-hit rolls and damage amounts (if the default doesn't already show damage amounts - I don't recall), and you should see a "(triple damage)" or whatever line when you strike. I don't think you even need to be behind them to do it - you're hidden in shadows anyway, so they can't see you no matter where you are - but I'm not sure; I know I've successfully struck from the side, at least. You do not, however, need someone in front of the victim. I've taken out quite a few people with a single backstab. It's pretty damn cool. Just backstab them and run like hell back to your party.

7. Wingfoot Guest

i love to backstab. put on Boots of Speed and you can haul ass back to your party. you can only use Daggers, Shortswords, and Longswords to backstab. no Clubs, two-handedswords or bastard swords. wow i just swore twice in this post.

8. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Broad swords can be used to backstab too in case you all didn't know.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.