1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Having massive trouble with the Iwdpatch106...

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by jakal, Apr 4, 2005.

1. jakal Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] After I installed the Iwdpatch106 on my computer, my IWD will not play now. The "create game screen comes up on the game mode screen. When I click on the "Load game" button the game automatically minimizes and freezes. AAHHHH...what am I to do???!!

[ April 05, 2005, 19:15: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Delete everything you have in your game's cache ;)

3. jakal Gems: 1/31

how do i do that??? i am a bit new to online computer games... is that under the configuration utility under cache size?? it says 175 MB...should I reduce that to the lowest level possible???

4. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

You have to locate the game cache folder and delete it manually... Something like:

Program Files\Black Isle\Icewind Dale\cache\

If that won't solve the problem, I suggest :eek: that you uninstall and reinstall again...

5. Veritech VF-11 Gems: 1/31

ok first uninstall the game via the "Uninstall" button on the opening dialogue box when you run the program.

ok THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART! now you need to delete the entire IWD folder from your computer manually as all the data files are left intact. just the exe file that runs loads the game and some registry entries are all that are unistalled through the uninstaller (Windows uninstaller will do the same thing).

ok so you need to know where XP put the IWD folder that you need to delete. it will be in one, or both, of two places. so be sure to read all of the points I through IV below:

I. first check to see if you even have a "Program Files" folder under the C:bad: directory with windows explorer. if you do, great! the folder will be here:

C:bad:Program Files\Black Isle\

go to that directory, find the folder named IWD and delete it.

II. but even if you do find the IWD folder un that path it may yet still exist under the following:

C:bad:Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Program Files\Black Isle\IWD

so make sure you look in both places before reinstalling.

ALSO IMPORTANT the folder may exist here even if you can not find it there!!! not to fret, we can fix that too...

If you do not see the Documents and Settings folder (or any of the subsequent folders) in the directory listing then:

1) click on Tools from the drop-down menu on the Windows Explorer menu-bar and select Folder Options.

2) in the box that pops up select the View tab and there will be a list of options.

3) checkmark the box for the option that says Display the contents of system folders

4) below that find the Hidden files and folders heading and select the option to Show hidden files and folders.

5) now close out the boxes (click "OK" and "OK" again) and refresh the view of your explorer window.

6) you should now see a whole bunch of folders that weren't there before and your "Documents and Settings" folder will be one of them. from there find the IWD folder as directed above and delete it.

III. after deleting the IWD folder(s), reboot your computer.

IV. once rebooted, you can now do a fresh install of the game and that should fix the problem.

though i would recomend you avoid re-installing the patch if you are able to get IWD running again without it. i certainly intend to keep that patch as far from my computer as i can if i get my IWD game working again...

all this is assuming you have administrative rights in your Windows XP user account but it's likely that you do if you are able to install programs at all so forget i mentioned it.

remember, though, i haven't tried this yet, myself, so i'm not entirely sure it will fix the problem but there's a good chance it will.

OH! and let me know you if you do try this theory out and whether it works. i will update you on my own results if i get to it first but i have found myself content with just going back to BG2, Tob, and IWDII games for now instead of... LOL... instead of having to eventually reboot my machine. don't know why i dread that so...

[ April 09, 2005, 03:54: Message edited by: Veritech VF-11 ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.