1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Guild Wars

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Enagonios, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I've heard good stuff about this game, but I really don't like MMORPGs, so my question is: Does this game have a single-player component that is good emough and long enough to justify buying it even if I don't play online?

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

You could say that it IS looong enough for anyone, but about the quality I'm not so sure. :shake:

Anyway, it's some time since I played it, but I still have some screenshots with comments HERE. Scroll down a little, right after Planescape: Torment.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There is no single-player game per se - it's 100% online. That said, you can easily go through the game by yourself, without ever running into another online player (outside of the city centers, that is). You can also hire henchmen to fight with you, who are game-generated and AI.

I bought the game at the insistance of my boss, who wanted to play online with me. Bearing in mind that I'd never played an MMORPG before, I was skeptical, but excited by the whole "revolutionary play for free" idea. The graphics are very impressive and efficient (meaning you don't need a monster rig to play and have it still look nice). The biggest piece of the puzzle, however, is a fast internet connection. If you have a choppy internet connection, you'll want to kill yourself after an hour.

My verdict on the game is: it's ok. I never got past the second area. It's repetative and uninteresting. The quests are almost 100% Fed-Ex or extermination. There are NO unique or cool items. There are plenty of magical items, but nothing you actually feel proud of owning because they're all so common. The action looks great, but again - it's little more than hack-spell-hack-rinse-repeat. Every battle is a contest of who has the most hit points, as every attack hits (even missiles).

Basically, if you didn't like Dungeon Seige, you won't like Guild Wars. It's for all intents and purposes the same game with a few cool features. The style to substance ratio is about 5 to 1. I felt like I wasted 50 bucks. Your mileage may vary.

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That's about right, although it wasn't complete waste of money in my case; I felt like I had wasted only half of it. :square:

5. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well it has a few nice twists like only 8 special/magical powers. That gives it a more tactical way of play than basic hack and slash. It has classes similair to fighter, ranger, cleric and different mages.

the real power lies in the teamplay over the internet with strangers or buddies from guilds. It is so easy to form groups or play wiht computerhelp. The leveling is not so good as in D&D games but better than most skilltree's.

the bad points are the powergamers that spoil the party's and the repetitive gameplay. the story is standard.

yes it is worth the money, and does things a bit different. but it is still hack and slash

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

ah, thanks guys. I think I'll pass because I have a crappy connection speed :rolleyes:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.