1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Grammar vs. Spelling

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by The Great Snook, Jan 11, 2008.

?

So what type of lesson is it.

1. Grammar

22.7%
  2. Spelling

77.3%
  1. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm currently using

Grammar lesson of the day: You have to lose weight to make your pants loose.

as my signature.

Is my sig correct? Is this a grammar lesson or is it a spelling lesson. I admit to not knowing (it has been years since I was in an English class)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=34070&dict=CALD defines grammar as: (the study or use of) the rules about how words change their form and combine with other words to make sentences

I take that to mean conjugating verbs, etc., rather than whether you spell the opposite of tight as lose or loose.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've always thought about grammer as relating to sentence structure, whereas spelling is more about things like "to" vs. "too" vs. "two" vs "WTF".

In this case, spelling.

5. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Spelling as per everyone else. Although I think an argument could be made for grammar especially if English is your second language.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2008
  6. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Yeah, that's a spelling lesson. Grammar deals more with capitalization, comma usage, and the like. :rolling:

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Isn't that punctuation?

8. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, I've surprised myself, but I have to take an opposing opinion to the crowd here.

I'd call this a grammar lesson, since it involves similar, often-confused words and their meanings. The fact is, "You have to loose weight to make your pants lose." could still have each word spelled correctly, but merely placed in the wrong....er, place.

"You have to luse weight to make your pants loose." would be a much more obvious a spelling lesson.

...hmmm Okay, upon second thought, even my first 'example sentence' is completely ambiguous on the grammar vs. spelling front; it could be a case of the writer understands the purpose and usage of each word, but doesn't know how to spell the words, or it would also be plausible that the author of the sentence can spell the words, but is uncertain on the proper use of the words in a sentence...

And just to satisfy my nit-picking compulsion, we could say this is a "morphology lesson" :bad:

9. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

JE, good argument. And now that I've already voted maybe you've persuaded me otherwise. I said spelling, but one could certainly argue that it's grammar based on your definitions.
    Or you could add a third option, syntax: the ordering of and relationship between the words and other structural elements in phrases and sentences, according the Encarta dictionary installed on this computer.

10. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A lesson about lexical confusion caused by near-homophony. :p It's lexicology. :p Sorry, guys. :p

11. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Well, I was gonna cover both bases and suggest "English Lesson of the Day:..." :p

But yours works at least as well.

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It's a vocabulary lesson. English is full of these kinds of words: There and their, and know and no. These are generally referred to as homonyms, but as Chev points out, words that have different meanings and are spelled differently are referred to as "Homophones." (or words that can't get married, except in MA). Technically, words that have the same spelling but different meanings are homographs:The word "light" would be a good example. It could mean something "not heavy" or the "opposite of dark."

Edit - But in this instance - lose or loose - the spelling is different. But all these are generally referred to as homonyms. Actually, the words illustrated can sound slightly different in use...it is near-homophony. ;)

The Magister likes this.
  13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I find it very interesting just how many times "grammar" has been misspelled in this thread. ;) :roll:

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Must be all the :beer: :)

15. The Magister Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    I'd say spelling. It would be grammar if it we're a matter of two, too and to but these are two different words not one word with different spelling and meaning.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Hmmm...I still think that Chev has the right call. If we had to categorize it outside of the narrow parameters of spelling or grammar, then it would be vocabulary, which btw, would include spelling, meaning and usage. But as Chev has already pointed out, it is just a confusion of a near homophony.

17. Lord Domino Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Out of these choices, I would call it a spelling lesson: the confusion between the two words comes from not knowing how they should be spelled.

Of course, you could just write "Lesson of the day" in your sig :p

18. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    We have a winner. thanks Jaded Empath.

It goes against my standards to have a "homo" signature :)

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    And we thought it was just your New Year's Resolution.... :p

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Bah! I guess you don't drink homogenised milk either. :beer:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.