1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gotta Love Those Yanks ;-)

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Lord Bane, May 15, 2001.

1. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] This is the actual radio conversation of a US navalship with
    Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October1995. Radio conversation released by the chief ofnavaloperations, 10-10-95.

CANADIANS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
    AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the north to avoid a collision.
    CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your
    course 15 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.
    AMERICANS: This is the captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.
    CANADIANS: No, I say again, you divert YOUR course.
    AMERICANS: This is the Aircraft Carrier US LINCOLN,the second largest ship in the United States Atlantic Fleet. We are accompanied with three
    Destroyers, three Cruisers and numerous support vessels. I DEMAND that you change your course 15 degrees north. I say again, that's one-five
    degrees north, or counter-measures will be undertaken to ensure the safety of this ship.
    CANADIANS: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

Just thought I'd share this with you :D :p :D

2. Avooch Dar Guest

Do you think God was having a laughwhen he made the Americans?

3. Lord Bane Gems: 10/31

[​IMG] At least while making most of them :D

For some, however, he spared his very best efforts ;)

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I suppose we take ourselves a bit seriously sometimes...But you've got to be a little cocky when your country is comprised of the best people from all over the world that decided to come together to build a better place!

We have our problems of that I am definitely aware. But I've travelled enough to know that despite all the knuckleheaded things I see on TV in the US - there is nowhere else I would rather live!

One sad note...Although we are powerful technologically, militarily, and economically...I'm beginning to think we are paying for that power at the cost of our sense of community and overall societal integrity.

Hopefully we'll work that out soon. I'd hate to think that the reality of America are the people I see on Springer...That scares the hell out of me.

Thus ends the Sunday morning rant.

5. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31

Hah! When God made Americans? I believe Americans made Americans by whipping your line-marching, arrogant British asses. Where do you think we got our imperialist, cavalier attitude? Don't hate us because we can actually back it up.

:D

Amon-Ra

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Hehe. The US is weird. Bush makes it weirder.

7. Elessar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Don't hate us because we can actually back it up.

Before you get too cocky don't forget you have the entire Canadian Forces poised within easy striking distance if you get out of hand. :D

8. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

LOL!!!

I have no doubt that Canada's forces are "poised" for an American invasion. *snort* I would certainly enjoy seeing that battle. Who on earth but a Canadian would seriously think Canada has a snowball's chance in hell against the US?

Sorry if that burned you, don't mean to be inflammatory. I thot it was funny.

9. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

You all wernt privledged like americans to see the South Park Movie. :p

10. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Um, Europeans made Americans. Now whether it was the best getting away while they could, or the unwanted ones being dumped somewhere convenient, is not for me to say.

11. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] "What's the difference between an American and God?"

God doesn't think he's American.

J/K - I know plenty of great Yanks. They may be a wee bit self centered, but that is a generally a stereotypical analysis. Americans are proud of themselves and proud of their country, there is nothing wrong with that. I've heard it said that the only good things coming out of America are hamburgers and Hollywood. I disagree. There is also the roads into Canada! :D

12. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Moeken - Is that why all your hockey teams are moving here? ;) :D

13. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

um as a PURE canadian,.. i must say, That i would never ever ever move to the states! Not only are there tooo many guns, crack, rednecks and politics. But their pot laws suck!

14. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] As a gun toting, crack using, political redneck...I resemble that remark! ;)

But seriously...Don't forget Kit, you get to pay a 52% income tax too! Lucky you.

O Canada!

:D

[This message has been edited by Sir Belisarius (edited May 23, 2001).]

15. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31

Oh, I'll make my stand in dixie land hooray, hooray...

Stick it to the man Sir Bel.

16. Lord Moeken Gems: 13/31

[​IMG] Actually, in a recent report I read, the difference between living in Canada and living in the US from a finacial point of view, is not really that different. When you take into account income tax, wages, cost of living, they are surprisingly close. You also have to remember how much bullet proof vests cost - those babies aren't cheap. :D
    I think if an opportunity came up I would probably work in the States, but I am, and always will be, a true Canadian! I treat americans as that distant relative who you like to visit with, but you just wouldn't want to spend all of your time with. ;)

17. Mendanbar Gems: 3/31

You only need bullet proof vests if you live in La. I live in texas. Here you are more likey to die in a car crash, or be put to death on deathrow. Still the highest capital punishment state. :p

ROTFL

[This message has been edited by Mendanbar (edited May 23, 2001).]

18. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Bel, don't make funnies with the canadian tax rate. Here in Denmark it is even higher! And I just love not having to pay for my education, and also love recieving money from the state while doing so! :D

19. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Getting paid to go to school would be pretty nice! But unfortunately, my tax money goes 3rd generation welfare recipients, botched FBI investigations, keeping 6 carrier task forces circling the globe.

Plus, I don't think they'd give me money for going to law school...Knowing how popular the lawyer population is in the US.

P.S. Go Avalanche!

Since the Flyers are out, and there is absolutely NO way I would cheer for the hated New Jersey Devils. Not to mention the fact that the AV's are technically a Canadian team (See Quebec Nordiques)!

20. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Bel;

I'm a proud US citizen who is paying for his wife's BA, saving for his daughter's college (by my estimate it will be $50,000/year by 2018).

I'm an avid "JAG" fan, so I have a warm place in my heart for those carriers! (As should you since 1) JAG's producer is named after you, and 2) the strongest navy in the World keeps the servers this site runs on safe!)

However, I'm paying 49% in federal taxes and don't expect to get a dime of my social security $$$$ back when I retire.
    Can someone say "broken contract?"

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.