1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Goodbye to all

Discussion in 'Sorcerous Sundries' started by Jack Funk, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

After nearly 3 years at SP, it is time for me to go. I have had much fun here, however, that is no longer the case.
    With comments being made to me like
    "you and Bin Laden are brothers in heart", and
    "you suggest the "Beat your children every day, if you don't know what they did, sure they do!" approach to foreign policy". The first one is obviously outrageous, the second is shocking to me, a victim of serious child abuse while growing up. Both were made, surprise, by Ragusa.

Life is too short, too precious, to waste absorbing those kinds of sentiments.

So I will do the right thing for me. Recognize when it is time to move on, and do so. This is not easy for me, but it is something that I need to do for my own emotional well being.

To some of the people who have touched me positively:

@Master of Nuhn - Keep on funkin! I love your outlook and your attitude. Don't let the world slow you down.

@8people - Your courage and perseverance are inspirational. I look forward to reading your book someday.

@Ara - I don't really know you, yet I feel that we are kindred spirits in suffering. Good luck. The world can be great for you.

@Laches - We frequently agree on the issues. You are much better at conveying your thoughts than I. Someday, perhaps I will have enough inner peace to emulate your way.

@Shralp - Am I following you out the door? Don't know if you are still around, or if you still visit. Either way, thanks for the insight and the laughs. Your wit is wonderful.

@Sprite - You made me think more about the environment and being more efficient and careful about how I interact with it. Thank you.

To everyone else, a fond good luck. I hope that all of your dreams come true and that your lives are one joyful day after another.

Funk out.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Well, haven't seen you too much outside AoDA -surprised to see you still here, in fact. :o Guess every board gets 'boring' after a time...

C'ya, and is Sprite still "on-board?" :hmm:

3. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Damn, even though I didn't really understand that last comment, that was plain mean by Rag. But if that is the only reason that you don't wanna stay, stay and avoid the AoDA and/or join some of the more non-political threads.

Please don't leave, we've already lost too many oldtimers and other cool people, and there is still lost of people here that don't think that you and Laden's son hang out, I know I am one of them.

Godspeed!!

4. Loerand

Loerand My heart holds no fear for death

That's indeed touching.
    Goodbye, and good wishes for the future :)

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, this blows. I hope you reconsider. I'd hate to think the wrong person in this particular situation is the one leaving (hint hint, Ragusa). Regardless, I wish you the best and hope you poke around and visit once in a while (at least via PM).

Oh yeah, one more thing: You're my favorite right winger! :D

Don't let the man getcha down, Funkie. :wave: You'll be missed greatly.

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    While you and I have not had much to do with each other, what interaction we did have often had us on opposite sides of the fence. Having said that, I have always respected your opinion, and I will miss reading your outlook on various issues.

Take care, and good luck.

PS: you shouldn't take Rags so seriously; a lot of the rest of us don't.

7. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Man, this sucks.

But it's also a very good example of why I tend to avoid the AoDA.

I hope I'll cya around Funk. *tips hat*

8. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Jack - Don't let one person's opinions force you away. Opinions aren't truth, and are very often far off the mark.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Comments are always only comments. When in discussions, especially political ones one should never take things personally. The quotes you stated as reasons for leaving were taken quite out of context and was not even really personal attacks but as far as I understood it a clarification and comparisons made of Ragusa out of how he understands those situations.

It would be sad to see you leave for such trivial reasons, you are a valued member of the community I think we all appreciate. Leaving like this for so silly reasons is no way for someone like you to end something.

10. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Opinions are like your bootie ... everyone has got them, most people have the taste not to show them off.

Sorry to see you go! Didn't always agree with you, but always respected ya! :thumb:

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Huh? How boring would this place be if nobody shared their opinions??

12. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Sad to see you go JF.

All too often you and I agreed on the issues. I hope you reconsider and stick around...we need more conservative voices around here.

First Shralp...now JF...what's next? Grey Magistrate marries some condiment heiress and marches for socialized healthcare?

If you are gone, best to you JF.

13. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think what Mat was going for was a more polite variation of the following:

Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has one, it usually stinks, and in this case it was offensive enough to drive someone away.

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    I think you'll find it to be rather hard to tear youself away from SP.

Whatever you do: good luck, have fun. :)

15. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Jack, I'll miss your contributions. I hope this isn't permanent, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Best of luck, and I hope you find the inner tranquility you need to be able to come back and let this crap roll off your back without sinking in.

16. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Aw man! Too bad you leave! ;(

Though I haven't spoken with you that much lately:
    Thanks for funkin' with me and many thanks for the music you recommended me. :)

And if I ever get the chance to get 5 people with me me to that remoted island, you're still one of them.

Hehe, I won't. Already singing ToP's 'Attitude Dance' :D
    I'll still miss you, ol'buddy. I sure will...

*what you're gonna play now?
    -I don't know Bobbin, but what-so-ever I'm gonna play, it's got to be funky! - From 'Make it funky' by J 'Funk' Brown. ;)

17. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

It would be unfair for me to leave blaming Ragusa like I did. While I think his comments were way over the top, the board tolerates that kind of posting. If I can't take it, that is my problem.

I continue to struggle to get my head together and deal with the past. Enough of you know what I am talking about. Maybe when I am a little more on track, I will stop by.

Thank you all for your kindness and patience.

With apologies to Ragusa.

18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] While the first of Ragusa's quotes is somewhat insulting, the second one was clearly not aimed at your personality, or your treating of children (if you have any). Both were taken out of context, and while the first one would have been sanctioned if you had brought it to my or BTA's attention as being particularly offensive to you (as per AoDA rules; we really don't have time to read everything posted there), the second one isn't really offensive if you read it in the spirit it was written. You perceive it as such, but Ragusa certainly didn't and couldn't know what your childhood conditions were like, and neither was the post meant as anything reflecting that. It's just an unlucky comparsion used in the heat of political discussion in AoDA, and certainly not an attack on your person. Judging by your posts, however, you don't seem to realize that, which is unfortunate. Comments like "the board tolerates that kind of posting" are insulting to me, however. As I said above, if you had reported the first quote, it would have been sanctioned. And the second one would most likely also have been removed, had you explained to me why you perceive it as insulting. You did neither. I don't know if you read the rules sticky in AoDA, but how AoDA works is explained there at length. If you had read and followed the guidelines there, this post would have been completely unnecessary.

Of course, it goes without saying that you leaving over something like this would really be a shame. I hope you will reconsider and stay.

19. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    I, too, hope Jack would reconsider and stay, but I don't know his past and so I won't say it is a shame leaving over 'such a thing'.

Seemingly, things were said that offended Dr.Funk or confronted him with happenings from the past. Wise choice to stay away from the stench of opinions if you can't take it. Like Jack said.

I was personally touched a few times by comments of other members who gave their opinions, because I, too, think that some things are over the top. But these opinions are what AoDA is about (not for being over the top, but for being an opinion). And so, Tal, you don't need to feel insulted. Rags doesn't need to feel guilty for giving an unwillingly offending opinion.

Nothing happened, Jack just thinks he needs to be on track before he comes possibly comes back. No SP-rule could do anything about that.

Just giving my opinion... (I think I might need to make myself clear on some things though.)

20. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Later Hater.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.