1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Lord wish I had more time for reading :(

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by Melhisedek, Dec 20, 2005.

1. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Veteran

Well I'm almost finished with "Which book are you reading currently? #2" and have hefty nr of books that I need to read and lots of will to do so. But sadly no time :(

How do you folks manage?

2. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Personally, I take a train to and from work. It is about a 45 minute ride each way so that gives me a good hour and a half each day for reading right there. I also read during my lunch break if I am not too busy.

3. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Well I drive to and from work and I tried using audio books from library which work fairly nice I must say but they are all other but the ones I would like to read :/

4. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    You could go read instead of wasting your time posting on these boards :p :D

Seriously, I've noticed that you've got as much free time as you're willing to create. Do you really have something to do ALL the time, ALL year round? Don't think so. I've no doubt we all go through certain time periods during which we really have no time for leisure, but on a "regular" day you can always squeeze in an hour, or a half hour at least, to do something enjoyable. Let's say you go to sleep at 11 and wake up at 7. How about reading from 10 to 11? Once you dedicate a specific time slot to reading every day, you'll probably realise that you can do other things in less time than they're currently taking you. You'll be amazed at how inefficient we can be once we decide that whatever we're doing is open-ended and has no deadline.

5. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Henry N.Beard and Douglas C.Kenney - Bored of the Rings. Extremly funny parody of LotR :lol:

EDIT: wrong forum :o

[ December 21, 2005, 17:52: Message edited by: Undertaker ]

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That is an excellent question. I can never work out how some of the people here manage to read enormous books in a few days. It'll take me about two months to finish "A Feast for Crows".

Undertaker - is there something in Bored of the Rings about not having time to read?

[I think he's posted in the wrong thread. -Tal]

[ December 20, 2005, 22:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

If you're really desperate for some read time, catch up while you're in the bathroom. I have no life, so I can read around my gaming and SP time. I like getting quick reads while I'm cooking a meal.

Westlake has books that have really short chapters (1-2 pages long).

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    On the bus or train maybe? I'm considering cutting my computer and internet time down in favour of my book time. I need books to develop. To be myself. Sadly, there's only this much time.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I only get to read in the bathroom and on the bus. Any other time I'm too busy, or I'm spending time with the family.

10. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

Yeah I remeber lovely days when I used buss, now it is a car or I'm looking into 1:20 hours trips one way :/ And when you start at 5:00 AM you want to sleep those extra 30 min :)

I too feel a need to read and at least use my mind for someting else than copying stuff (what I do at work)

Well looks I'll need to optimize like someone mentioned :)

@JSBB

Judging from "Which book are you reading currently?" topics it looks like you read a lot more than train/lunch :) You don't sleep admit it :p
    Do you guys remember everything you have read. For me it is like few selected books are imprinted in my memory... Rest is like kind of sensation... I remember a few names and plot parts. Other than that it is like... good book/bad book :p

[ December 21, 2005, 10:57: Message edited by: Melhisedek ]

11. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Funnily enough, now that I have all the time I could want for reading books, I find myself reading less and less. No idea why :(

12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Well, i find time for reading due to my university timetable giving me only 2 hours of lctures a day, and i dont have much else to do other than eat or sleep or go out, and when i get reading a book thats very addictive i just cant put it down and read till 2-3 in the morning, which lets me get through books fairly fast. Now that im on my holidays i have so much free time i dont know what to do with it.

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

@Dalveen

lucky you :/ I've got so much crap to do and I'm already in my 3rd year and should be graduating a year from now

i'm an insomniac. even if 'm totally drained at the end of the day, i've got to read in order to tire my mind out and fall asleep.

except when i'm drunk, then i just pass out :p

14. Melhisedek Gems: 5/31

Veteran

you guys buy all your books or loan them ?

15. JSBB Gems: 31/31

To answer the questions that have been posed:

I really don't read all that much except for on the train and during lunch these days - it is just that I can generally read very quickly - somewhere in the 50-100 page per hour range depending upon content and print size.

I remember most of what I read - I can generally answer questions about most character or plot points in any of the books that I have read.

I buy all of my books. I will generally buy anything that sounds interesting that I see offered for a reasonable price - typically from a science fiction and fantasy book club that I belong to. This results in a fairly sizable stack of books that I have not read yet and I grab from it whenever I need another book.

16. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

I have to buy mine. in a thirld world country like mine, it's ludicrous to expect a public library to carry updated selections. I'm even unsure as to the existence of these libraries locally having found out about them only through fellow SPers in Europe and the U.S

17. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't get much time to read, which is why it can take me sometimes a fortnight or more to read just one book. I sometimes (shhh) read at work when there's little to do. And sometimes read at home, but not very often. I don't have a set time each day or whatever where I just get to read.

18. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

I buy - merely because I like the accumulation of books on my shelves :)

19. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

I read mostly after dinner while chatting. Insomnia sucks :grr:

I don't buy all the books I read.
    We have a system here whereby I can pay the book price and take the book home. If I like enough it I'll keep it. Or I can return it and they deduct about 30-50 euro cents and return the rest.
    This is from a shop, not a library or anything. Our public libraries, suck here in the suburbs. I'd have to go to south-bombay (an hours travel) if I wish decent a library.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.