1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Good Console RPGs...

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Faraaz, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Well, recently, I finished FFXa and FFX-2. I've got BG:DA and BG:DA2,but they're absolute nonsense, and frankly, for a console environment, I had something more turn-based ala Final Fantasy in mind.

Can you guys recommend some noteworthy RPGs which I could pick up for my PS2?

I wish I could get Fable, but no Xbox, so... :(

2. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Star Ocean 3: Til the end of time. I'm going to pick it up myself right after I get tired of Burnout3 (gonna be a while though ;) ). You could also try Demon Stone, it hasn't hit my shores yet so I don't know how it is, but the people on the boards say it's pretty cool.

3. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Recommendations from an obnoxiously picky gamer:

Star Wars: KoToR is probably one of the best RPG's I've ever played, on any platform. You'll love it. Not sure if it's available on PS2 though...

If you like Final Fantasy-style games, Shadow Hearts is pretty good. The combat system is a little goofy at first, but you get used to it. The sequel, which comes out soon, looks even better.

Arc the Lad is a great game...if you're 8 years old. Avoid.

My friends loved Kingdom Hearts, which is essentially Final Fantasy meets Zelda meets Disneyland. I thought it was way too kid-friendly for my tastes and couldn't get past the first few areas. But then the 'friends' I mentioned are all older than I and hardly children, so it's probably just my tastes. If you like Disney stuff and Final Fantasy, you'll probably love it.

Everquest: Champions of Norrath is beautifully made and pretty fun, but gets boring eventually. If you hated the BG:DA games, you won't like this one much either, though. They're pretty similar.

I highly, highly recommend any of the Onimusha games, especially Onimusha 3: Demon Seige. It's a little more "survival action" than it is RPG, but still one of the most enjoyable games I've ever played on a console. That said, they are relatively short, and the first 2 don't offer much in the way of replay value. They can be rented and beaten over a weekend. So can Onimusha 3, but there are enough goodies to unlock and the action is so fun that it's worth owning.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

It's not. I think it's only out on pc and xbox :(

They are pretty similar but Everquest: CoN was MUCH better than BG: DA1&2. Aside from better graphics, character generation and areas, the story was FAR more engaging than the pieces of crap that were the DA series.

I also played Onimusha3: Demon Siege and agree that it's pretty fun. Never got around to finishing it though :eek:

5. Faraaz Gems: 26/31

My PS2 blew up! :flaming:

It just made this really loud clicking noises last night, and all of a sudden, I smelt something burning, and then switched off the PS2 to find it smoking!!

This sucks! :flaming:

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Sorry to here that, did you remember to clean it? it happened to one of my friends to, and he had never cleaned it, so all the dust had caught fire and melted the interior.

of rpgs I will recommend

Starocean 3: till the end of time
    Wild arms 3:
    .hack: infection (and mutation and outbreak)
    Dark chronicles
    Unlimited saga, most poeple don't like it, but I find it to be quit good.

there where some more but there names escape me, so I will post them later :)

7. Kam Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Gladius is one of the coolest console rpgs I've played in a long time. Gladiators abd all, but a surprisingly large supply of bugs. (And I'm not just talking about the scorpions)

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Looks like you'll have to wait for FFXII :p

9. Elios Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Definitely Champions of Norrath. There is a sequal coming out, not sure when though. I like how dungeons aren't always the same for every time you play. A lot of above ground maps differ too. Plus, if you have broadband, the online play is pretty good.
    If you are looking for something a little more futuristic, but still RPG, give X-men:Legends a shot. Its basically the same format as BG and CON, but its with super heros. You can control up to four characters at once. Switch on the fly between the four. And, you can play with up to four other friends!
    If you want to try Demon Stone, rent it first. I lasted a few days on it. Got bored really fast. I got the impression they focused more oin graphics then game play. I bought it and got burned. The trade in value was only $16.

10. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I like RPG's and am willing to give X-men Legends a shot. Also on all 4 systems is 'Gladius'. It's a TBS (turn-based strategy) but it's fun nontheless. A hint if you're into Roman stuff. Gamecube unfortunately has no RPG's, but it's about to change. Try 'Harvest Moon: A wonderful Life', it's a great game.

11. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I like Wild Arms 3, but I can't do anything with that indian bloke. I keep getting gubbed by anything other than a balloon!

12. Kam Gems: 15/31

Actually, the Gamecube does have several rpgs. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, Hunter: The Reckoning, X-Men: Legends (all hack n slash). Gladius, the upcoming Paper Mario (Mario, GAG) Some cool looking rpg I saw on a comercial and can't remember the name of. Skies of Arcadia, Tales of Symphonia.

Granted, not exactly the greatest selection, but there are a few.

13. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

And of course Legend of Zelda: The windwaker and Remakes of Ocarina of time and Majores(sp?) mask. which are all classic.

And to the ps2 there is also

Arc the lad: Twilight of the spirits
    Legaia 2: Dual saga
    Disgaia 2 (sort of a FF tactics game)
    Grandia 2

And probably more :)

14. Kam Gems: 15/31

Wind Waker was junk. The remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were great, as were the original Legend of Zelda and Zelda 2 rereleased on Gamecube. I just don't hink of them as rpgs. If you do though, there's also the new one in development. Looks absolutely great. None of that cell-shading crap.

15. Lawless Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

i dont think you can go wrong with Star Wars:KOTOR although its on XBOX.

16. Son of Bhaal Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

seeing as you can play PS1 games on your PS2 you could always give "Breath of Fire" 3 and 4 a shot.

17. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

Breath of Fire 5 any good? iirc its out for PS2?

18. Abomination Gems: 26/31

Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter is NOT good. The new combat system is fun but the dragon system is crap. It's game over if you use it too much and it's possible to get into a situation where you can't complete the game.

19. Jesper898 Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Kingdom Hearts

FF VII
    FF VIII
    FF IX

'nuff said.

20. Kam Gems: 15/31

Avoid Final Fantasy games like the plague. They're utter wastes of time.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.