1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Glacius - the super annoying idiot

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by 8people, Apr 28, 2002.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    In the De'Arnise keep there is Glacius with the flail head of acid (yes?)

It says he is dominating and that you can counter charm him.

after casting charm/domination on him he turns blue for a split second, I try talking to him and it puts up 'Glacius appears busy' and this only works the FIRST time you do it so you have to keep reloading

does this only happen to me? is it a bug? or just bloody annoying?

2. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You're right!

There is something strange with the scripts, Glaicas should one second after you charm him become neutral and start talking to you - automatically!

So, it's not you who should start the talk, you should wait for him to start it himself. One thing though, if you're invisible, then no talk!

If you still can't get him talking, do please zip your saved game with the encounter and mail it to me.

This is definetly odd, after all this time this is the first time I've even heard that Glaicas actually can be dealt without fight. Where did you find that info/tip anyway?

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 28, 2002).]

3. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is in the official walkthrough it says:

"The secret is Glacius has been charmed, so your best bet is to counter-charm him with a domination spell. As soon as it is cast click the talk icon and speak to him quickly to make him come to his senses."

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31

No, it won't work that way. It's made that he starts the talk.

Now go check it up if it works. Don't force the talk unless he doesn't speak nothing for 5 or more seconds!

Remember, the valid spell to cast on him is not only Domination but also a Charm.

5. 8people

Media:
    Tried it, failed it, damn

he turns blue for one second then turns green again! I had tried before on a different character but *someone* decided to kill him so I don't know if it just my one game or not

6. ArchAngel Guest

Do you have ToB installed? If you do, make sure you install the official patch which corrects "appears busy" problems in general.
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/index_misc.php

Edit; Just read your response Extremist. Never heard of Glacius charm? You are kidding, right? The tip/trick is here on SP forum in several posts... It has never "bugged" for me to charm him. no split second precision needed or what the Walkthrough says.

[This message has been edited by ArchAngel (edited April 28, 2002).]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  7. 8people

Media:
    I have got that patch though!

I got it the same day I got the game

:(

What now?

8. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I'm not kidding. I've never seen a post about it. I really always thought he must be killed so I've always killed him.

Well, you never know what you may learn new... ;)

What "what now"? Zip the game and mail it already!

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 28, 2002).]

9. ArchAngel Guest

Try and reinstalled the patch... Anyway you peaked my curiousity now. In a game, not bugged, there is plenty of time to cast charm. (try charm person and not domination) and he'll come around just fine and talk himself. No save or anything.

10. 8people

Media:
    Right, I reckon I've just about tried everything now, waiting, talking, fake talking, wacking the screen, attacking, dispelling magic, holding him, letting him kill my whole party

none worked, especially that last one, and could the message Galcius appears busy refere to him wanting to kill me?

I may have a problem sending the game, my game is on a different computer, my laptop, and I can't burn CDs or link it to this computer, I could try a floppy but this system seems to chew them up so to speak

[This message has been edited by 8people (edited April 28, 2002).]

11. B20 Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] have you tried the ring of human influence..?

[This message has been edited by B20 (edited April 28, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by B20 (edited April 28, 2002).]

12. 8people

Media:
    Yes, but, alas, to no result other than me hitting my head against the door when I forgot to open it because I am getting ANNOYED with it, and my character is supposed to be a pacififst:confused:

13. Extremist Gems: 31/31

I've received the saved game.

8people is totally right - the script is screwed and the damn game fails in two things:

1. It doesn't change Glaicas to NEUTRAL so you can't talk to him when charm/domination expires.

2. Dispel Magic from the script used on Glaicas FAILS (I've tried to load the game more than 5 times, it always failed)! So Glaicas never wanted to talk because he was still in dominated state which couldn't be dispelled, and after it expired, due to cause #1, Glaicas was returned to enemy state instead of into neutral.

I've reedited the script with Dispel Magic version that will bypass any protection Glaicas probably uses to dispose of ordinary Dispel Magic and mailed the file to 8people.
    I haven't changed the erroneus command that is supposed to turn Glaicas to neutral though. It's not needed to be changed.
    And it will be included in SPfixpack definetly.

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited April 29, 2002).]

14. 8people

Media:
    EXTREMIST!

I put the patch-thing into the override folder and now something has gone terribly wrong, I don't know wether it was the thing you sent or something else but the right side of my keyboard isn't working anymore

This isn't the keyboard i'm using at the moment either, my game is on my laptop, and as far as I know it is just the keys
    8,9,0,-,=,i,o,p,u,j,k,l and m.

I don't know what the hell is going on, and my mother is gonna FREAK if she finds out

15. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Calm down. That has nothing to do with that file I've sent you.

Restart the machine and see if the keyboard is working then.

16. 8people

Media:
    Sorry

It works now

I was just worried about what my mother would say, her nickname is Jaheira - she nags like hell and is likely to blow.

I panik easily :p

Sorry

17. Extremist Gems: 31/31

Right, right, what's bothering me more is if that edited script works for you?

Man, test it, post it - I'm of unpatient nature ;)

18. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    What spells have you tried besides domination, and charm. Have you tried Dire Charm, or if you have the cheat keys enabled, put your pointer over him and press (Ctrl + R) its a long shot but it might work... Tell me what happens...:rolling:

19. Dralend Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Before I had TOB installed I used the ring of human influence to charm Glaicus, then dispelled magic which made him neutral blue. Glaicus has high saving throws so it did involve a number of reloads, but the ring works far better than a domination spell, charm or dire charm. Two or three characters generally had dispel magic on them so one of them was likely to work.

The xp for making Glaicus neutral is much better than for killing him(I think it's 22,500). When neutral I found he tended to initiate talk, give the flail head then walk off and disappear. It is just possible to kill him for his stuff before he does that (and worthwhile for the equipment and xp).

With TOB installed it works just the same.

20. Extremist Gems: 31/31

That is not true.

Charm from that ring and Level 1 (cleric and mage) Charm Person provides bonus +3 to creature's saving throw.

Dire Charm does not provide any saving throw bonus or penalty.

Domination (no matter if it's wizard's or priest's) affects the creature with penalty -2 to saving throw.

All saves are vs. spells. Also, all of these spells test person's magical resistance and will fail if it's high.

Conclusion: Domination works best.

And as I've said, the game script is bugged and dispel magic that is contained within the script doesn't work. Anyone who downloads next version of SPfixpack won't have dispel magic problem any more, because I've replaced the original one that fails with one that NEVER fails.

And I'm not sure how did you manage to get Glaicas neutral after the dispel. Glaicas' script actually rejects this command from area script if it is performed while Glacias' script is running:
    ChangeEnemyAlly("kpglai01",NEUTRAL)

The correct command which would always work should be set as:
    ActionOverride("kpglai01",ChangeEnemyAlly(Myself,NEUTRAL))

However this command is actually totally obsolete - if dispel works as it should, Glaicas turns on neutral while talking to you.

Anyway, that's so called Bioware Quality Assurance.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.