1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Getting owned

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by TrueBlueAussie, May 21, 2006.

1. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] I dont know if a topic like this has been posted before, i couldnt find any. i am goin thru HoF for the first time and i am currently in the orc cave where there are about 8-9 orc archers who just cuts me into ribbons. wat is the best way to get past them if i currently do not have any summoning spells?

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Why don't you try Sleep? I believe there is a sleep scroll in Pomab's appartement

3. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

I have tried sleep, doesnt work that well, i prefer using chromatic orb to stun even though it only works on 1 critter

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Charm person (mage level 1, druid level 2)
    Hold person (cleric level2)
    Entangle, sunscorch (druid level1)

I'm surprised that sleep works in HoF mode, the orcs should be considered level 11 monsters then.
    For getting the 4,800 quest XP from Hrothgar you just have to see the description displayed over the stolen goods (a stealthed ranger or thief can do without taking a risk). You can do the supply scroll quest then for extra 2,400 XP. You can even leave for Kuldahar afterwards.

But I would try to do the caves again then for the fighting XP. If you are desperate, you can at least have a stealthed character or cleric in sanctuary plunder a few chests and run away afterwards.

For more specific advice about fighting tactics in the cave you should post your party.

5. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

hehe, nevermind, i finally got through it. but my party is as follows:

1: Elf fighter
    2: HE C/R
    3: Human Pal
    4: HE Bard
    5: HE F/D
    6: M/T

i trying to make it through with all 8 classes involved.
    are there any suggestions for tactics with the given party?

6. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

There are many possible tactics to defeat your enemies with your party. But I fear telling some of them might spoil your game.
    The fun part is developing tactics yourself. :)

If you want an easier game you can start HoW once you have reached level9, use invisibility there and return with many newly gained XP, mage spells and equipment. You can return for fighting the barrow wights and other monsters you have sneaked by later.

7. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Assuming your own characters are relatively low level, your best bet is to charm one (or more) of the orcs. The charmed orc may or may not fight for you, but the other orcs will certainly attack him, to your advantage. Should the charm fail, re-load and try again. The early fights in HoF, when you're very low level, and the monsters are very high level, are among the toughest in the game. Good luck.

8. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Indeed, HoF is very hard at the beginning, and definitely not for a newbie player. I am flinched to try it for the moment. I am scared!

9. TrueBlueAussie Gems: 17/31

It took me a while to get past it, but once i did make it through and gained animate dead and insect summoning (best summoning spell) the game has become much easier. and with the addition of haste in the first level of Kresselacks tomb it only takes a few minutes to clear out a level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.