1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Gaming keyboards for professional writing?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Doods, I've recently taken a look at keyboards because I just can't keep using a normal keyboard any more - years of abuse of digital joints are kicking in. Between flat notebook-style keyboards and other choices, I've cast my eyes on err... other choices, looking at gaming keyboards. After all, if it's good for not failing the 10-key sequence after 8 hours of gaming at 200 actions-per-minute speed without taking your eyes off the monitor (supposing you don't actually play by ear :p), it must be good for professional writing.

So, gaming keyboards survive chords. They have the lowest reaction times around. Sounds like they can take 400 chars per second. Plus, they have some rubber membrane surfaces and whatnot to avoid sliding. And the tops of the keys are profiled so that fingers would fall in and you wouldn't miss. Shouldn't this kinda help when you're typing page after page?

Sure, at first glance they don't seem capable of the ease of notebook-style keyboards, but they can't be fingerkillers if Starcraft kids use them, nope?

Or am I getting something wrong?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Yea... most gaming keyboards look great, but are rather crap for writing. I own a G15 which gets wows from everyone seeing it, but for typing it's much worse than the previous $20 ordinary Logitech keyboard I had. The keys are too close to each other so there's a lot of errors (especially if you have big hands), the responsiveness leaves something to be desired, some of the odd-shaped buttons have serious problems detecting pressure, etc. And G15 is supposed to be the best there is as far as gaming keyboards go.

I found no use for the LCD display it has apart from the clock application and the USB ports on it are too weak/slow for anything but plugging the mouse in. The surface of the display is also incredibly scratch-prone, so after wiping it a few times it'll look like you've been at it with a knife. Also, the silver coating on the Logitech logo button at the bottom starts to come off in a matter of weeks, which looks really ugly.

From what I've seen, gaming keyboards are made to impress with great design, but definitely not something you'd want to use for professional writing. I've adapted to the G15 so I'm having fewer problems with it now than in the first few months, but still... if you want pro writing keyboards, don't look at gaming ones.

Incidentally, most gamers don't type that much and games are primarily played with the mouse, not the keyboard.

Edit: I see the G19 is now available, which is a new follow-up model to the G15... probably improved in most areas that I mentioned, but very expensive.

3. chevalier

Media:
    Bought this one:

http://www.natec-europe.com/index.php?mod=products&id=61&pid=8436&lang=en

Not sure what to think about it, really. It's probably a great keyboard and definitely great for its price, though I really don't know after all this crap with thinking and choosing. It seems I might just have got myself some wrist supporters instead. With the Logitech EX 110, I feel I'm in control, more or less, and I know what's going on. With the other one not so much. The X-Scissors bearing on the keys is great but not so great when it's keys that you would normally stroke with e.g. some odd part of your thumb when using a normal keyboard. There's definitely much less fingerwork involved and my fingers don't seem to complain so much, but I'd expected more of a difference. Besides, it feels like swapping a Logitech for a Natec.

A reviewer, however, said that this Medusa keyboard was even better than UltraX Flat from Logitech (not by a far margin, but apparently to an extent you could notice).

I'm getting a nagging feeling that the best for me might be an old soft keyboard with tall keys, like stuff that isn't even made any more. I suppose the cheapest of the cheap keyboards around (talking about 2.5 euro keyboards) might actually still use that old technology.

4. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  5. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

The best keyboard I've found is the Logitech Office Comfort. It's basically a wired, ergonomic PS/2 media keyboard.

It's very hard to get, however.

The Natural Ergonomic Keyboard is a good second, but decidedly a second.

6. chevalier

Media:
    Thanks, guys. Merlanni, I've considered that one too. Don't know why I didn't go for it in the end. Might even have been dislike of Microsoft on my part.

Taza, can it be this one or similar? http://www.ceneo.pl/2065376

BTW, got an A4-Tech X-748K mouse.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The best keyboards I know are from Cherry. My mother has my old comp, and still uses the old keyboard, the trusty Cherry G83, that I used before I got my Logitec G15. The keys on the old Cherry are still more responsive than on my 9 month old G15. I used the old Cherry when I posted yesterday, and it is still good, after a couple years of intense typing and gaming (and I am mocked about for really hitting the keys hard - blessings of having learned to type on a mechanical typewriter :shake: ). Besides, the Raptor K1 and K2 gaming keyboards are made by Cherry. The only reason why I didn't buy Cherry again was that I specifically wanted a backlit keyboard for gaming and they didn't have a decent backlit keyboard on offer, and that also ruled out the Raptors.

So if you want a durable keyboard that will last and is great for typing and gaming, get a Cherry keyboard. They're great, and iirc most of them are cheaper than the average Logitec. I say that being somewhat of a Logitec fan boy - I like my Logitec G15 keyboard, my trackball is from Logitec and, my set of boxes is from Logitec.

That said, I can't quite confirm Tal's somewhat bad experiences with the G15. Actually I'm a rather happy user, and particularly like the backlit keys as I can't really write blind, and occasionally have to reorient myself. It is also nice when gaming in semi darkness. The only thing I really dislike is the position of the macro keys. G5 in particular is easy to hit accidentally because it is so close to <shift>. When Firefox is on, the G5 key does trigger 'reload page' by default. I lost a couple of more or less elaborated posts through that :mad: That said, except for that there is little else to complain about. I'd wished more games would make use of the display. Amusingly, NWN2 char stats are display in the display, which is nice, but sort of useless for playing the game. You can set it to report if you got mail and so forth. The LCD isn't exactly useless - rather it is underutilised.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  8. chevalier

Media:
    In reality, you know, I just have the same problem as you - I'm a child of the mechanical typewriter era and while I could learn to type on a touchscreen even, as a rule I'd prefer something you can pound on hard and squeeze 400 chars per minute out of, without having to worry about typos occurring as a result of malorientation, and without being slowed down.

The stuff I now have, the Medusa, apparently counts as a hard one, but there's less fingerwork to be done. Still, I can very much tell that fingers will be hurting at the end of the day... And I can't quite unwind the same speed as on a cheap keyboard they use e.g. at internet cafes (woe be to one that gets under my fingers). The way I type when I can isn't even hammering, it's mashing. And I can't mash this one. Well, we'll see in a couple of months. The keyboard's going to start giving in a bit and I'm going to have more experience with it.

What's great is I don't have to learn the layout. Stuff works normally even though it's flat and actually my first flat keyobard ever.

Oh, and the mouse works great too. Perhaps I'll be able to do some of the GOSU micromanaging in Warcraft III.

9. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Logitech and Microsoft business keyboards are designed to last. I have been using a Microsoft USB keyboard and mouse setup at work now for over 5 years. They are fantastic and are durable, etc... I am actually considering buying the updated package which uses a laser 800dpi mouse instead of the optical mouse I use now at work for my home PC.

10. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

we had an old white ergonomic keyboard that was split down the middle and the back wass lifted and it was good for typing long reports and stuff. dont remember what happened to it. the one im currently using is a logitech office pro keyboard thats starting to break down after about 3 years. wish i has something else sence its a pain to type on. Im trying to work on a novel so if the keyboard doesnt work to well then i cant do much with my novel cuase my hands start hurtign after a while. the 2 clips on the bottom thats sopose tyo lift it are both broken and the wristguard is breaking apart as well oneside is completly broken si it slides on me at times

11. chevalier

Media:
    If you're dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (RSI), it might be a good idea to have two or more keyboards to switch among from time to time, just to allow some muscles to take rest and others to take over. Some guy somewhere said that's what a therapist told him. It kinda worked for me the last week or so.

12. Topken

latelyt ive been keeping my hands off the keyboard when im playing games on an emulator sence i use a game pad foir that and when im browsing the web one hand is n the mouse and the other ohne is just idle like in my lap or playing with something lol not that something perverts.

13. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Those stands to lift the keyboard break pretty fast with me too. I tried to find one once which had stronger studs but for some reason even expensive boards have weak studs.

14. chevalier

Media:
    Speaking of, it seems I type faster when it's lying flat, but more comfortably when the back is lifted.

15. Topken

i honestly think i need a new keyboard myself. i just dont have the money to go out and try to find one that would suite me.

edit: ok im hanging up the towel for now onj my novel but i will come back to it after i do a few short fanfics first about harry potter of all things. its one of the closest types of world thats clostest to what im going for in my novel but some major differences but it will allow me to flush out some of my character ideas and flaws. i just wihs i had abetter keyboard to type it up on as this one is starting to hurt my wrists.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.