1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Games Vs. Life?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by FenixStrife, May 10, 2001.

1. FenixStrife Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I was just wondering, do games interfere with the rest of your life? (or vice-versa :) ) Im finding it hard to do all my work, go to rowing practice and talk to a certain girl... (/me snaps back to reality) and still have time for games. Does this happen to anyone else?

--FenixStrife

2. Grovflab Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I forget to do my assignments to school. It's difficult to write fifteen pages about WWI, when you are only two clicks away from playing BG2! :rolleyes:

3. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I'm supposed to be spending my work day cold calling and writing orders. Forunately I'm at quota for the month, so the urgency just isn't there. This is a good "Default" for me. It's nice to relax and get away from the high-stress levels that surround me 24x7.

On the downside, there are opportunities that I've missed, so I need to crack down on myself again.

"All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable!"

4. Avooch Dar Guest

i dont have a problem......i am in the game and it does not intefere with anything because i am Dorgon the thief and i AM one of the children of Bhaal. i don't have a problem.........hehehehehe.......i am fine...........i am better than you............i don't have a problem..........i am the son of a god.............i am fine...........you have the problem..............now leave me be i must go hunt down my brothers and sisters and send them screaming into the Abyss...........................well.................i think i'll have tea first.

5. Slappy Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Unfortunatley I have no life so thank God for the games is what I say. Of course it could be argued that they take too much time and that is why I don't get a life......

error error error does not compute error

6. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] Are you kidding??!! WWI is one of my favourite subjects!

7. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Watching really old movies about the war tactics in the two world wars is the best thing to with television.

8. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

[​IMG] life? is this some kind of secret area? I've heard that if you click on the button in the menu marked "quit game" you get taken to a strange secret world, which is rendered in full 3D and first person, you're stripped of your abilities, your race is set to human, you lose all your equipment but gain a crude set of clothes offering no AC bonus, there's no magic, no dwarves, elves, or monsters? Is this life? Seems pretty boring to me. Sigh..... better add the exams to my quest log and do a bit of questing in this new area.

9. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Interferes with sleep mostly...and this board interferes with my job.

10. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

You sure are on to something, Ironbeard. But I've heard that allthough the 3D in that world sometimes is awesome, you don't have to buy a new display card to keep up. But the saving is even more lame than Diablo 2. If you die, you die and cannot load back and start over. Kind of like playing Diablo 2 hardcore in awesome, laggfree 3D and no monsters.

11. Parvini Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Gaming rarely interferes with my life as I only play after 12.00am, being an insomniac helps. I live a rather varied life, most of the people I know do not know of the secret world that I retreat to when they're all sleeping. Although my girlfriend mocks and when she found out about this board attempted to sabotage it using my name - on a side note... why is my password constantly already typed in?? I'm useless with computers therefore I daren't touch it.

12. Bateluer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

What is this life thing you speak of? ;)

13. Dudette Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

games vs. life....
    i pick games...
    who needs a life anyway?

14. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Games are fair, life isn't

case closed.

15. herf Guest

hmmm, both have their good points and bad points-

GAME WORLD-
    GOOD-magic,elminster,huge swords at everyday prices,real life gods,funny potions,gore option,difficulty setting,giberlings :)

BAD-no toilets,when you go to sleep it just goes black unless youve went up a chapter in which case u dream :),no sex(with harlots the screen goes black,damn)

REAL LIFE-
    GOOD-sex,food,chocolate,fights,proper conversations,internet,tv

BAD-problems that cant be sorted out by going to (insert strange name) and giving him/her/it a potion of (insert equally strange name),no save option,no giberlings,no hats of pointiness+(insert number of your likeing)

make the decision urself!

16. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

Your list of bad points in the game can be countered in most cases.
    - no toilets - there is a far greater advantage in NEVER having to go to the toilet, and therefore never uncomfortably dashing about trying to find one, or a discreet bush.

- going to sleep - you get to sleep every time, no wandering about at midnight drinking hot chocolate and Ovaltine, going "Oh, (insert name of diety here) I'm never going to get to sleep and I've got a big quest tomorrow"

- no sex - sex is hardly guaranteed in real life

and the fights thing in "good bits about real life" - for non-boxers, at least in games you can win some fights and losing doesn't hurt.

games win hands down

17. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Rewards for "winning" and completing "quests" in real life can be awesome. No game has come close to that.

18. herf Guest

ironbeard, if you dont go to the toilet then your ass wil explode! i mean bg has sewers and stuff, but there are no friggin toilets! its like having an unmbrella in world where water doesnt exist!

19. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31

herf, what I meant to say in that post is that in real life that happens, in BG you can go months without ever having to go to the toilet once. Therefore no having to find a bush/stinky puplic toilet which hasn't been cleaned for years or face severe internal damage from ruptured bladder and bowels. But I see the point about sewers being pointless without toilets. Maybe you should tell Kaiso. Oh, and I've just remembered there are toilets. In Durlag's Tower (and the place where you find Haer D'Aleis, which uses the same interior), and Nalia's keep, there are little stone toilets behind screens.

20. shadow_thief Guest

games is way awesomer!!!!!!!
    games, u can like be wat u wanna be and theres swords that can kill AND talk and u can kill anybody u hate without being arrested cuz u can kill the guards too!!!so games is so much better(especially if ur considered a dork, geek, loser etc...)not that im one anyway(althoe i used to be!)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.