1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Game Length?

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Oliverez, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Oliverez Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

So I played NWN long enough to get out of the first city... How much longer does the game go on? How does the game length compare to, say, the first Baulder's Gate?

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It took me about 5 months to get to halfway through Chapter 3 before I gave up (I tried really hard to carry on, but I just couldn't). It took me about 8 months to finish Baldur's Gate. But then again, some madmen manage to play BG in a few days so it's hard to compare.

3. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Who are you calling mad? Hoo ha ha ha ha ha!

EDIT: Seriously, though, Baldur's Gate will actually take 60 to 80 hours, not quite the 100+ that they promise. So if you play an hour a day, you could have it done in two months, maybe two and a half. (Although if you skip everything except what's absolutely necessary, you can do it in as little as four hours. I wouldn't recommend it, though, and you shouldn't expect to win. :o ) Of course, I've played the game so many times that it's gotten kind of stream-lined for me, so it could take you longer.

EDIT: :o I really need to read more closely, I thought you were asking about BG. :doh: I'll just shut up, now. :bang: :bang: :bang:

[ June 28, 2005, 23:49: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

4. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Chapter II is about twice as long as the first one (including Luskan). Maybe a little bit more, depending of how many of the side quests you do. Chapter III is about as long as the first one (I think there is more content in chap. III, but the action flows much faster). Finally, Chap. IV is a short one (maybe half as long as the first one).

It is not much shorter than the original BG, I would say. Also, it tends to run faster, since you do not have to control (cannot, actually) your companions. Then, of course, there are the two expansions (SoU and HotU), plus community created campaigns (I played - I am playing :) - the expansions and they are quite good, even more than the original campaign).

Have fun :)

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    You could do BG2 in two days if you really tried. I remember doing Fallout 2 in two days (with a one day break in the middle, so over three days total), not playing 24 hours or probably even 12 in a row. When I got IWD: HoW, I just sat down and did it.

Well, NWN took me some time but I did a lot of questing, errands, reloads and other such. Most of the running is done in the city of Neverwinter, but the game has something to offer yet. I suppose Neverwinter is about half the playing time.

6. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    @Chevalier: Fallout 2 can be done in a single day (I played a character once who didn't kill anyone at all -except Harrigan, with the turrets though- and reached level 19)

Let's face it NWN can be a bit boring compared to great games like BG 1&2, personally I can play NWN more than a few hours at a time whereas I get hooked on BG (thanks to the programmers for the reminder about eating).

7. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I think it took me about 10 whole hours to finish NWN, it felt really short compared to the likes of BG and BG2(first attempts obviously).

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

10 hours? I must be some sort of loser because it took me about 50 hours just to get to Chapter 3.

9. khaavern Gems: 14/31

10 hours... must be a record !

I guess it might be possible, if you know what to do. I think one can finish chap. II in 2-3 hours; all you need to do is to get 2 letters about the cult whereabouts;

( ...spoilers, maybe

one you can get in the caves, the other in charwood village - you don't even need to enter castle Jhareg, you can simply go in the village and pick it up. ...)

Of course you miss like 90% of stuff which can be done; probably you'd get into Luskan at lev 8 or 9; I wonder if you can survive there...

10. Caradhras

Media:
    @Sarevok: did you start the game with a level 1 PC?

With a high level character it would be like strolling through the park.

11. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

10 hours isn't hard for the NWN OC.

Playing it for a second time will be slow though, as it's BORING.

12. khaavern Gems: 14/31

AARGH! Dont's just say 10 hours is not hard, tell us how!

Caradhas has a good point. If you start with a high lever character, you can just run around, grab whatever you need, you don't even have to fight most of the game since the bad guys can't hurt you. But I see how that can be somewhat boring :)

Starting with a new character, though... Takes me almost 1 hour only to get through prelude. Also in the first chapter I have to be very careful, try to pick enemies one by one, backtrack constantly, spend lots of times trying to open chests, et. In peninsula district, if you get surrounded by a group of thugs, you are pretty much toast (since you are so low level, not much in terms of equipment, etc.) Plus, you have to do all this running to th etemple to get healed.
    I never had enough money in Chap one to use the portal stone as much as I liked.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Yes, 10 hours, maybe even less when I think about it.

14. erikhk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

less than 10 hours, if you just try enouth

15. Caradhras

Media:
    @Sarevok: so less than 10 hours, great, if you don't mind telling us: did you start the game with a level 1 PC?

I think that with a high level one anybody can storm through this game (though it would be very very very boring). It would be nice if you could explain how you manage to beat the game in a few hours starting with a level 1 PC (mods? custom classes?) if you have read Khaavern's post you could comment on his remarks. :)

I remember spending almost an hour being chased by a sword spider (or was it a huge one?) all around the docks before my 3rd level Rogue finished it with his crossbow.

16. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Never mind Sarevok•, he has a tendency to make posts that produce an emotional response in people. There's no way you can finish the game in 10 hours and also take the time to explore everything, do all the sidequests and actually read any text and in-game information provided. I'm sure it can be finished in 10 hours, but there's little point in driving-through a CRPG.

17. erikhk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

It's impossible to actually do all the side quests, finish as lvl 18 and to fully explore every map in 10 hours, but that's not the point either.
    One could decide to start a new char, and run through the entire game as fast as possible...
    Myself... i did it with a Fighter/Rogue/Monk.
    Using no mods, no custom things, just a plain install with the 1.65 patch.
    Quite a few reloads of course.

18. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31

Ahhh :toofar: As far as I am concerned, I finished the game in 10 hours or less, it sucked, I hated it, end of story.

19. Caradhras

Media:
    Well thanks, that was quite enlightening. :)

20. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

It took me way much more time than 10 hours the first time, it sucked, I hated it, end of story. :p

Then again multiplayer or, for example, Adam Miller's modules rock.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.