1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

"Gals only" party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Jurts, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Jurts Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Hehe, I had to try it out, I just wonder has anyone tried it before... to be honest the protagonist is still a male (cavalier) but I simply wanted to romance Jaheira again this time with th flirt pack installed - woohoo, spicy!!! No more shy Jaheira...

ok, so down to the party layout and my logic behind it:

melee - protagonist / Jaheira / Mazzy
    It's actually proven a decent trio, where my char dishes out a huge damage with Carsomyr and Jaheira and Mazzy (both have the potential for great AC) are more for creating additional targets - thou they can kill stuff too.

One question is how to spend Mazzy's proficiency slots. She had +++++ in Short Bows and +++ in Short Swords. Short sword are not terribly great (I have a sword (Kundane?) that has no speed factor - can someone explain what that means?) - but iirc you get a good one at the end of chapter6 - pretty late. Would you recommend spending points in katana's for you know what...

the rest of the team are Aerie / Imoen / Viconia

Viconia is the main cleric, Imoen main mage and a good enough thief for me. Aerie is support mage/cleric.

A couple of problems here - obviously Immy is not available for chapters 2 and 3. Using Nalia would be logical however it means filling all second level mage spell slots with Knock.... Nalia is not a thief, if you choose her then you still have to pick either Jan or Yoshi. I went with Jan - he is not a lot worse thief than Yoshi + he can cast spells.

Now my main concern - I believe I made a mistake choosing Aerie in the first place. Why? Well, I don't really need a support cleric, Jaheira can take care of it, plus the main char is a paladin. And as mage Aerie is not very good because of her multi-class, iirc she cannot reach high enough level to cast lvl8 spells, correct? That makes me ponder - wouldn't Nalia have made a better support mage? She dualled over to mage very early so she should be able to reach high enough level to learn lvl8 spells. Plus she has higher INT and more HP than Aerie.

ok, waddya think on my plan? any feedback is welcome.

P.S. I yesterday got the Jan/Viconia dialogue revealing Jan's deafness. Boy, I felt a bit weird learning that and now feel a whole lot more symphatetic towards the little gnome and his silly stories. Vicky really is a bit**.

2. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In my own parties, all the longswords and such like good-to-have weapons have been used by others. And since there are a few pretty good shortswords in the game (which no-one else uses), I've let Mazzy specialize in using them with either shields or then doublewielding.

Those who've not played SoA through yet: **SPOIL**
    Wether or not you need Aerie really doesn't need to be asked. Take Yoshimo, he'll die by the time you can take Imoen with you. And from there on you can easily make it through SoA with the rings Imoen can use to enhance her thieving abilities. The double amount of spells through Imoen / Aerie combination will get you through the traps and doors that are too hard to be passed more subtly. When you do take Yoshimo with you, make note of the fact that the more quests you do with him, the more experience is wasted on a useless, dying character. So either dump Yoshimo every time you go on a journey or experience an event that will give a whole lot of exp. Or then just leave everything as it is and quickly gather the minimum amount of cash to make it to Imoen, and do the quests in Chapter 6 with her instead.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Amasing. I'm now playing a Cavallier PC too and Minsc is the only other man in our six. The first time I played the game I had the same staff only with Vally in Minsc's place. :)

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Our party has a male main char (wizard slayer), Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Imoen, and a home-made female NPC (skald). We've had this configuration for quite some time, and see no reason to change.

5. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Anyone tried with all 6 female NPCs that are already in the game? As in no mods... without the Main char?

6. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

YOu can't... you have to use a main char...

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Kick the main char - Ctrl + K :thumb:

8. Blog Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Why have your main character as a paladin? If thief, you won't have to deviate from the all girl thing at all.

9. Jurts Gems: 7/31

well, I chose my char to be a male as I wanted to play a out a romance (a normal romance I mean:) ), besides I never before played with a Carsomyr wielding paladin... uhuh what a powerhouse he is.

10. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

well Nalia does have thief skills, though she sucks as one, and you have to go through the hell hole call the D'Arnise keep.

11. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Oh, and by the way, Jan really isn't deaf, he's just pulling her leg...it's another one of his stories, like the flesh golem book, and the gnome adventurer that liked to bathe in milk...

12. The Irreligious Paladin Gems: 7/31

The D'Arenise Keep is one of the easier quests in the game, and a Carsomyr wielding Paladin is hardcore my friends. Having the main be a thief would be good since there aren't any good thief npc's as Yoshimo's trap-setting is useless, and all other thiefs are dual or multi-class, but also there aren't really any good fighter npc's aside from Valygar and Kheldorn, but all in all the npc's in the game are very weak, mostly strong on personality always weak on weapon proficiencies. My favorite party has been, a cavalier, an assassin, a swashbuckler, a monk, and two npc's to drag along for quests and dialouge, the cavalier with Holy Avenger doesn't really need back-up fighters, but the assassin, monk, and swashbuckler can all dish it out if need be. Keep dancin to your own tune though, i like mine thick on the bass and the power chords.

**EDIT** [wouldn't having Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconcia in the same party cause romancing problems, as they would be resorting to fisticuffs over the main car's sweet man-ass?] **EDIT**

[ January 11, 2003, 05:58: Message edited by: The Irreligious Paladin ]

13. Tayja Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Buy accident,I'm playing an almost entirely girl-power party except for Minsc/Yoshimo.

Me-protagonist, female paladin-kicking butt all over Faerun.

Aerie-primary mage/back up cleric. (I'm playing without XP cap so she'll get up there spell-wise. And I love having a mage that can reach a -8 armor class. With a shield of missile reflection, and a cloak of spell turning, I send her up front for everything to shoot at. Nothing hits her and she can cast spells all day.)

Viconia-primary cleric. (I could live without her in the party, but I like her 'tude).

Jaheira-back up fighter/back up cleric, with a couple of spells I adore like insect plague.(I could live without her too. But she gets so petulant at getting ditched)

Nalia/Yoshimo/Imoen- I use Nalia briefly, then Yoshimo as long as I have to. Then as someone mentioned earlier, I hurry up and get Imoen back.

Minsc- back up fighter. Not necessary, but I like having him around. Can you just see the visual? Minsc storming the countryside, butt kicking for goodness in an all-girl group?

Actually on a purely practical level I could get by with just Me-fighter, Aerie, and Imoen. But the others contribute fun and storylines.

14. ArrynMorgerim Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

(Nearly) all women party as I played it:
    Me - female fighter (from bg1, 19 in important stats and CHAR)
    Jaheira
    Viconia
    Aerie
    Imoen (You should see how I hurried to get Yoshimo killed in spellhold)
    + Keldorn, because I wanted to be pure fighter. Just be paladin and take Mazzy and you have it.

15. Spelladonna Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

My current "gals only" party consists of:

Me (CN) - Fighter/Thief
    Jaheira (TN) - Fighter/Druid
    Aerie (LG) - Cleric/Mage
    Viconia (NE) - Cleric
    Nalia (CG) - Mage/Thief

The banter between Jaheira, Aerie, & Viconia is priceless. I thought the romance dialogues were funny, but these are good, especially Viconia's.

The reason I didn't take Mazzy is I'm just not crazy about her. I'm not overly fond of Imoen (plus she's out of the picture for a while, so she's behind the curve by the time you do get her back) so that's why I didn't take her. Nalia, though not a great thief, is a much better mage and ranged fighter.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.