1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

G. I. Joe: Rise of Cobra

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Death Rabbit, May 12, 2009.

1. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    ...just looks awful to me. Snake Eyes (played by Ray Park, aka Darth Maul) and Sienna Miller in tight leather appear to be its only redeeming qualities at this point, but I could be pleasantly surprised.

The whole 'Delta-6 super robot suits' thing is what ruins it for me. They're inventing an entirely new concept to shoehorn a treasured set of characters into a soulless special-effects-o-rama and call it an 'update.' Bleh. They did the same with Transformers, though not nearly to this ghastly extent. Watching this I can't help but be reminded of "Street Fighter" with Van Damme. And we all know how well that turned out. No wonder it killed Raul Julia. I hope Dennis Quaid has a good life insurance policy...

I think it's gonna blow. Call me a Negative Nancy. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
  2. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    It's the summer of super extra dumb tentpole movies. Wolverine, Trek, GI Joe, Transformers 2...

However, they all look like fun. In a really dumb way.

3. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Have you seen the Gi Joe : Resolute 11 episode video DR?
    It's pretty good as each is ~ 5 min.s with the last being about ~ 10 mins.
    Aside from a few plotholes, i think the story would have worked much better than what we have seen of the new gi joe movie plot.

4. Déise

Déise Both happy and miserable, without the happy part!

Man those suits looked terrible. I know action man was always high tech but it was about real soldiers. I doubt I'll be going to see this unless it gets great reviews.

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I know I will probably see it with my son. The wife will wisely decide to stay home.

6. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I watched G.I. Joe as a kid, what a great cartoon. Especially when they added Sgt. Slaughter. But the ads for this movie are so atrocious, I didn't know it was for a G.I. Joe film until the end. (Sigh) Hopefully we will see a good rendition of a Voltron or a Star Blazers movie. Wishful thinking. Star Blazers was my favorite cartoon as a wee little lad....

The Great Snook likes this.
  7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It looks ****, will probably still go and see it which is what they count on. Us almost 30/just over 30 who had the toys, watched the cartoon and read the comics just have to check it out. The first Transformers film also looked pretty crappy though and it ended up quite decent.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

It's a reboot so it'll be quite different but I don't think it'll be that bad -- for what it is. I mean, it's not like anyone is expecting it to be the next "Dr. Zhivago" or "All Quiet on the Western Front"

9. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well all I can say is I'm going in with rock-bottom expectations. Hopefully I can't help but enjoy it. Still, there's a Wayans brother in it, so...

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh my lord, they put a Wayans in it?

11. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I was watching Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and Channing Tatum was on, and he explained the high tech stuff by saying that with each new generation of G.I. Joe, the technology was upgraded. Like, the original G.I. Joes were just soldiers with guns. Then the cartoon added some cooler high tech stuff, and now with the movie, they are just upgrading the technology one more step.

Plus, there are enough war movies; no one wants to see the original G.I. Joe figurines fighting - that would just be some army men busting caps with M-16s.

That being said, I am only seeing it for Rachel Nichols, who is fine as wine.

12. nior Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

There's really only two things that I liked in this movie... Rachel Nichols and the trike Brendan Fraser rode. The rest is crap.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.