1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Freemasons

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by tipperon, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tipperon Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Heres one for you
    I was surfing the web the other day and i came upon this site http://www.freedomdomain.com/freemason.html
    I found this very intresting
    But whats your opinion on all this Freemason stuff. Its well known that many US leaders were of the Freemasons, and the US one dollar bill is covered in Freemason symbols and logos.
    Any thoughts?

2. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

while i'm no expert on freemasonry, i've heard a lot of of stuff about them. It seems to me like there's a lot more to them than meets the eye. They have many obvious connections to people in power. For example, all but 1 of the signers of the constitution were masonic. My great great grandfather, who was for a brief time the president of bolivia, was a freemason. was this a coincidence?? It seems odd that so many known power figures are masonic. I've heard a lot of stuff from my brother's friend about how they have ties to the illuminati and stuff like that.
    that's an interesting website, by the way.
    -PT

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I don't understand all the Freemason stuff. What are they? A cult? What do they do? What do they stand for? What ARE they? I don't get it. I do know (as said above) that a lot of important leaders counted themselves amongst their number and the US dollar has symbols on it. I just don't get anything about them...

4. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Supposedly members of the Freemasons were also members of The Illuminati, which I for one, have trouble believing in their existence.

5. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

They rig every Oscar night. Oh, no, actually that was the "Stonecutters" from the Simpsons, not the "Freemasons". How could I have got them mixed up?

Everyone loves a secret society. I bet if you actually went in one, it would be really boring. Probably a bunch of rich old guys drinking tea.

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

Yes, I am with BA: what exactly are they? Can some one sum it up (that web page is long...). I know a freemason, but he won't tell me anything, because it is a secret. One of the things you have to do is to swear that you can't tell people too much about it.

All I really know is that the members are (or can be)of all different religions...

7. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Originally, guilds were set up so that people who practiced a specific craft (e.g. stone masonry) could keep their skills secret and therefore scarce so they could continue to command high charge out rates (which they wouldn't be able to do if just any old fool knew how to stick bricks together).

Some of the old guilds became quite powerful and some have even managed to survive into the present day, but no longer for the purpose for which they were originally formed, but more for the purpose of just being secretive.

I guess in many ways, this makes the Freemason like simply a more self consciously mysterious version of the Association of Chartered Accountants.

8. Saber

Righty, that makes more sense. But why is there so much mystery around them? Do they do things that are not looked upon highly, or...?

9. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Another long web page

Pretty much an 'old boys club' in my opinion.

10. Saber

Why must people make so many long webpages? Can't they make a nice summary paragraph in the beginning, so we can just use that, and if we need more details, then we go to the longer page?

*sigh* I guess I am just lazy...

11. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Like HB not-quite-said, the Simpsons did a spoof of them, and the basic idea of the mystique is a local version of the Illuminati. Controlling events in the US, etc. It's bull, but whatever floats their embarrassingly small boat.

12. tipperon Gems: 3/31

I don't think that many people really know what the Freemasons are. Their real influence in the world has deminished quite a bit. Heres an interesting bit on them though:

And if you wondering about the Illuminati:

Whoa :eek:

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Uh huh. And where did this info come from?

14. Phone_Tools Gems: 3/31

Hey, I might have my info wrong, but I thought the illuminati were much older than the 1700s. I don't think that information is very accurate. From what I know and have heard: the illuminati have been around for a really long time and it basically involves keeping people of a certain bloodline in power no matter what.

I've also heard stuff about how the illuminate/freemasons are working together in an ultimate conspiracy of world domination.
    While I don't know if these kinds of theories are 100% true, they certainly aren't outside of the realm of possibility. From what i've seen, there's many extremely intelligent people who advocate these kinds of theories. There are many rational arguements on both sides, so i don't think you can say it 'its bull' with that much certainty.

Hmm. This whole discussion is making me really nastolgic for some Deus Ex... :)

15. Susipaisti

Susipaisti Maybe if I just sleep... Veteran

Not out of the realm of possibility, but not awfully likely either. I know some people who are very critical towards any "official" and widely accepted information, but swallow every conspiracy theory whole without a trace of criticism. They see what they want to see, and to tell the truth I find it rather amusing.

One thing about conspiracy theories is that they're really handy to believe in - if there are sigs, "proof", of a conspiracy, you can say: "See? Conspiracy." If there is no such proof, you can say: "See? It's a big cover-up. It's a conspiracy." You get to be right either way. You get to feel all smart and complacent no matter what.

16. Undertaker Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Some morons in Poland (mostly from right wing) consider freemasons as source of all evil :lol: I guess they just need an enemy. And since most people (including me) don't know anything about this organization...

17. Eldular Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Ah, Freemasonry, something I've reading a bit about recently, considering I come from a place where Freemasons were common. I was born in Cuba, Placetas, from what I've been told there were many Freemasons and lodges in Cuba, and one Freemason I knew (Alas, he passed away) was my ex's grandfather. He has always been a kind and strong man, and all masons always have been (again, from what I've been told). Freemason lodges in Cuba are made so that it's members can converse secretly on topics the government normally wouldn't allow.

To be a freemason one needs to believe in 'a supreme being,' not mattering which religion your in, and follow their strict moral conducts. Freemasonry strives to make men better, teaching them tolerance of other people's views (especially when it comes to religion and politics), and to be good members of the community. Thus, Freemasons have been responsible for the building of schools, community buildings, and other events and projects that add to the good of the community.

Personally, I don't believe in the whole 'world domination and controlling the government' stuff, considering that Freemasons are good people who usually enjoy speaking on matters involving politics it does not surprise me that many good Americans and other men have served important roles in their country. Now don't get me wrong, I'm no Mason myself, nor would I ever be one, I have no reason to 'protect' their name. Nor am I a 'pro' at Freemasonry, I've read only a bit on them, the above might be all wrong. After all, it's a Secret Society, no? :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.