1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Foxblocker - Everybody Needs One!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Chandos the Red, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    [​IMG] Here's a niffty new device:

Good idea. :cool:

http://www.foxblocker.com:81/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=496&e=4&u=/ap/tv_fox_blocker

[ March 27, 2005, 14:42: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. toughluck Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Hello, freedom of speech!

IMHO, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, regardless of how stupid. They have all the right to be criticised, ridiculed or be considered insane for it. I think that this guy is a nutcase and has all the power to attract even more nutcases. At least he's the one making money, just like a good right-winger should.

Oh, and there is a simple way of not ever having to worry about fox news—simply don't program it into your TV set.

3. Celesialraven Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Ah, but accidents do happen and it would be tragic for a new TV set to be christened by Fox news by means of an accidentally tuned cable.

Yet frankly i dont see the point to this device. I've learned that Fox News provides better televised entertainment than the Fox channel... the key is to simply imagine that everything on Fox News is a sitcom :) . Ah, finally a replacement for Married with Children: Hannity and Colmes...

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

If you don't like it, don't watch it. I fail to see how people haven't discovered the wonders of the remote. It's called *dramatic pause* Changing the channel! *dun dun dun!*

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Who still watches TV when there is Internet -and Internet-TV. You could, by the way, also set the blocker to block 95% of everything else too. :spin:

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hell yea, the guy MUST be a nutcase wanting to block Fox, and he sure as hell deserves to die! Damn bastard, how dares he! :rolleyes:

I'm moving this to AoDA. The guy is probably in mortal danger by now.

7. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Hopefully it has an option to block out the Rather biased CBS news.

Hell, if it blocks out everything but C-Span, I'd buy it.

8. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I think it's funny. Everyone knows you could just change the channel, but it's just his way of expressing his opinion. And it turns out it is actually getting his opinion heard - how many faceless folks can say that?

9. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Oh man is it getting deep in here.

Why is it that only "cons" can be closed-minded?

Why is it that only Fox would broadcast biased news?

Why isn't there moral outrage that someone is trying to stifle free speech and political speech?

O.K. everyone repeat after me the the three laws of liberalism

1. I am right, therefore you must be wrong."

2. "My opinion is the only valid one, therefore you must be mean."

3. "Your opinion may have merit, so I must do everything in my power to squelch it for intereferes with the first two laws."

Wouldn't it be ironic if this bozo makes a fortune selling these things and then gets put in jail for tax evasion?

10. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I too would like a device that eliminates all news that challenges my ideas and only shows the news that reinforces them.

11. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I've often wondered that myself. Let me know if you find anything out.

Sorry, I thought you meant fair and balanced.

Really? Fox does have Alan Colms, so I guess they are not completely srifling free speech and political speech - at least not completely.

OK, GTS. But why do they sound so much like Bill O'Rielly's three laws?

Why would that be ironic?

1. Because he is a Bozo? (I guess you don't like his invention much.)

2. Because he might make a fortune? (I thought you liked the rich?)

3. Because you know he doesn't pay his taxes. Maybe you have inside info that his accountant has recommended that he does not report any earnings from his invention. (Perhaps you could give him some better advice here.)

Not really. This was never supposed to be all that serious of a topic. Sorry that you are taking any of this so seriously, my friend. There are much more serious issues that we can debate over than this, I'm sure. ;)

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    It has always troubled me that the left doesn't see this. I'll let you know if I find an answer

I make no claim that Fox is impartial (they obviously aren't). I just detest the hatred spewed against them. As if they are the only biased "news" station. Once again I'm troubled that the libs don't seem to be able to fathom this.

Huge difference. Fox broadcasts their version of the truth. You don't want to watch, you don't have to. This guy wants to prevent people from being able to. That my friend is a tremendous differnce.

Now I'm concerned. I don't know O'reilly's laws, I made mine up on the fly. Now I'm worried about getting sued for copyright/trademark infringement.

1. Correct, I find the entire concept of an invention that limits a person's choices offensive

2. I love the rich. I think everyone should try to be rich.

3. The inference was that he isn't taking this serious and is treating it like a gag, not realizing that if it makes a profit it will be treated as a business. No disrespect to his accountant, but I give awesome advice and charge a reasonable rate. See number 2 above. :)

Isn't that what "Whatnots" is for? My bad ;)

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I read that the guy got death threats (from yahoo most popular section). Why threaten death for someone that gives people the ability to block out the content they dislike?

14. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I read about this a few days ago -- pretty funny stuff. Good novelty gift.

I thought he might be exaggerating a bit with the death threats though. Unless he's using SPAM to get the word out....

I already have a great Fox blocker -- it's called the remote. I can also block CBS, ABC, NBC, and CNN. Although ESPN seems to stay on a lot in my house.

15. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Uh, no. He's only providing the option to those people who want to block Fox. He's not going around installing them in people's houses by force.

You do realize you just stated that you find someone's conscious choice to limit his choices offensive? Pray tell, how is another person's choice to block FOX offensive to you? Because this is apparently the opinion of all the people who'd like to kill this guy, but I for the life of me can't understand why.

16. Cryo Mantis Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

The only problem I see is wasting money on a device that you don't need to avoid watching FOX. It's been stated already as being a remote.

I wonder how much he's going to charge for it? $10? $20? $30? Eh... I won't even have spend that much replacing the batteries in my remote. My TV will burn out LONG before that ever happens. In fact, I've had the same remote - with the same batteries - for more than four years! Best $2 I ever spent.

17. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Tal,

I guess you are assuming that he and everyone who purchases his device are living alone.

Allow me to reverse the situation. Assume you as a young lad grew up in a household that had the anti-fox blocker and the only news you could watch was Fox. Wouldn't that count as limiting your choices? Just imagine what these boards would be like if you were on the side of "darkness" :rolleyes: as opposed to "enlightenment"? :aaa:

18. Chandos the Red

Media:
    The process of political indoctrination takes place on many levels: in our homes, schools, chruches, media, etc. To be sure, there are probably homes in which Fox is watched religiously, while from others - such as mine - it is almost completely excluded. I guess I'm having a hard time understanding your point here beyond an issue of parental control. Are you suggesting that a FOX blocker is too much parental censorship for young minds? If you are then that's just - :bs: But I may be reading you wrong here...

19. Taluntain

Media:
    Actually, that is not really reversing. Reversing would be having a blocker for, say, CNN. Which would still leave you what, several hundred other channels to watch? I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that. So neither do I see a problem with having one specific channel (FOX) blocked. You still have several hundred others at your disposal. And I hope you're not seriously suggesting that anyone would be deprived of anything for not being able to watch FOX's propaganda. :rolleyes:

Even if by some freak occurence there was someone in the household desperately yearning to watch FOX, they could always take the blocker off and do so. Or get another TV without a blocker. Then the orgy of FOX propaganda could go on all day long! Though the likelyhood of having children wanting to watch FOX news in a house where the parents are so much against it that they would get a blocker for it, is, I'd say, nil.

20. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

hehe :D

but he's right :)

anyways, foxkids used to put out some pretty good shows :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.