1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For those who call football a girls sport...

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Barmy Army, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    FOOTY FIGHTS

All I can say is "ow".

Some really, really horrendous stuff here. Any who played football a lot will know that studs bloody hurt!
    Especially the two footed stamp on head AND bollocks, the kick in the face, the rake down the legs, anything with S Gerrard or R Keane involved, Cantona, Deigo The Legend, reffing biting, Edmundo smacking... you get the picture.

And I will never tire of Paul Alcock going, going, going, gone.........

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Seen this one? Ouch

As the host on the start of the video says, "it's not my choice, and I am not going to watch it either", yeah I thought it was pretty sickening as well.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Why are you even trying to prove it's not a girlysport ? The only ones who think like that are the ones who don't know jack about the game, and have never ever played on a regular basis. People in that category are not worthy of any explaination whatsoever. :D

4. Barmy Army

Media:
    Morgoth, I've seen that clip before, but DAMN, that guys leg must have broken in about 3 places with that beast of a tackle. Sickening.

5. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

A gentleman's sport played by barbarians...

6. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

That day, i was taking a dump and i was thinking about Eric Cantona and his two legged charge and how i think i am going to download the clip on the internet and there i have it. hahaha. Cantona and Keane are so classic, classic man u barbarianism.

7. Fly2tHeSkY

Fly2tHeSkY Southern Comfort Veteran

People can say it's a girly spot yet the whole world loves to play it and it's their favourite game AND the maybe we should add it to the record that football playas get paid ALOT! :D

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

It's a girls sport because more often than not players are faking injuries, diving and screaming like little girls. When a Rugby player get's hurt they don't scream and whine, the assess the injury. For a soccer player it's all about opening your mouth, scrunching up your face in a pain-like expression the MOMENT you think you've been fouled. No pain registers that quickly and no 'man' screams about something like that.

9. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You have hit the nail on the hit on the thing that annoys me most about soccer. I have never worked out why that sport seems to have the most petulance and Hollywood play-acting of any sport. Why don't they just get on with the bloody game instead of making a damned fuss all the time?

10. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Because it could help your team to victory. Behaviour like that is usually not appreciated in these parts of the world, but in South America and Mediterranean Europe, it has almost become an art to fake an injury, and get your opponent a yellow, or even a red card in the process. If it works, the opponent will have to play on with one man less, and if it fails....well, better luck next time.

11. Fly2tHeSkY

You see, I play soccer and i HATE it when people do that. Most of the people that do that couldn't last in a fight more than 10 seconds and because of their easily identifiable weakness, they fake gettin fouled. Pathetic.

But if you look beyond that, beyond the acting that so many pathetic players do these days, you'd see that football is really an art and not a sport.

12. Barmy Army

Media:
    Diving and play-acting is cheating, and as such, all part of the game. Participants in all sports cheat in some way or other. Nobody likes it, but it's been around forever. It's a snide little game is football, full of ways of bending the rules to try and win the match.

13. Pac man Gems: 25/31

And Luis Figo is the biggest cheat of them all.

14. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I've only just stopped wincing! Those are some painful injuries.
    These players don't bear in mind that they are being watched by thousands of people, children included, and then they wonder why soccer violence is escalating. What really annoys me is violence against the ref. He's just doing his job! If they have an issue with him they should take it up after the match, not set upon him like a bunch of dogs.

:toofar: at the Neil Lennon one, ouch

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Shell, I know for a fact that you haven;'t just called football 'soccer'...

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I don't mind if people attempt to cheat (good on them if they get away with it) but all that Hollywooding and whining and tantrums just makes the people who do it look like petulant little toddlers.

17. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    Lol BA

It's a phenomenon. Nobody calls football 'Soccer' in England, but everybody calls Football violence 'soccer violence' :)

18. Fly2tHeSkY

Seriously when people BARELY get touched and they go down holding their heads like they were shot or something it REALLY pisses me off. Especially when over fify thousand or so people see it ...

19. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    It's not significantly different than when some 6'3" guard barely grazes a 6'9" power forward who outweighs him by 60 pounds, but who promptly flops to the ground looking for a charge in the NBA. (That being said, watching Vlade jump 15 feet backwards to skid on his butt, even before Shaq lowered his shoulder into Vlade's sternum, was high comedy :p .)

20. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

I'll appease Barmy and refer to soccer as football, and if I want to refer to NFL I'll call it American Football. ;)

I've tried watching football. I've tried getting into it...probably never more so than when my kids were playing a few years ago and they wanted to follow the World Cup. I've tried to be more global in my sports appreciation of late and have tried to understand and enjoy rugby, Australian football, cricket...even curling...but in spite of my best efforts, I still can't get into football, for the very reasons others are mentioning here.

I've never seen more whining, flopping, complaining, histrionics, griping and feigning as I've seen in football. I watch sports to see physical performances not false drama. The only other sport that I think even comes close to the hissy dramatics I saw in football was NBA basketball...before they tightened the rules and started charging players with technical fouls if they didn't keep their mouths shut. The NBA still lets the superstars get away with too much, but at least their trying to make them "shut up and play"...I see no provisions to do that in football.

I guess for football fans, this is all just part of the game, but it's the part of the game that makes me keep turning it off. Possibly if I lived somewhere where I could see major football events live, I might get swept up into the emotion and not be bothered by it, but with my only access to world class football via television, I don't see myself jumping onto the band wagon any time soon.

[edit: I see dmc was already calling out the NBA for un-needed dramatics]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.