1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

For Faragon : Nightblood class

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Shadow Cougar, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Shadow Cougar Banned

There, I think that should somewhat fit. Personally I think its a little bit strong, but you can modify it anyway you want if you like the idea. I was not going over 20th level.

Nightblood

Not rarely, members of this class are outcasts, half-demons, those different than the cultural essence in which they are, planetouched creatures of anykind. One of most popluar races among these are Tieflings. They, Nightbloods, face their life from two different perspectives, their birth marks them, and they constantly fight between the light, and darkness. Though, they learned using both, and their magical abilities performed in a particular manner were those that named this class throughout centuries – Nightblood. Individuals or in troops, they recognize, ally, and respect each other as they all share excelling in dark and shadow powers regadless of their status, alignment and appereance. Their characteristics amalgamete into a combination of Barbarian's freedom, Ranger's lore and weapon skill, Cleric's oath, Fighters spirit and Shadowdancer's path. As such, Nightblood is a prestige and highly qualified class of dark circle.

Alignment : Any except lawful good and lawful neutral.

Hit Die : d10

Class Skills : Balance, Decipher Script, Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide, Innuendo, Move Silently, Listen, Read Lips, Ride, Sense Motive, Search, Spot, Tumble, Use Rope, Wilderness Lore.

Skill PTS at 1st Lvl : ( 7 + Int modifier ) x 4

Skill PTS at each additional level : 7+Int.Mod.

Class Features :

01) Armor and Weapon Proficiency ( Nightblood ) : Nightblood is proficient with all armor and shield types. Nightblood is proficient with all Dagger types, Sickle, Halfspear, all Crossbow types, Javelin, Sap, Short Sword, Light Flail, Rapier, Scimitar, Longspear, Scythe, all Bow types, Kama, Kukri, Bastard Sword/Katana, Longsword, Spiked Chain and Whip.

02) Uncanny Dodge : Starting at level 2, the Nighblood gains extraordinary ability to react to danger before its senses would normally allow it to do so. It retains its dex bonus to AC regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible stalker. At lv.4, Nightblood can no longer be flanked. This deines all abilites such as rogue's flank or sneak attack, unless the opponent is 5+ levels above Nightblood. At lv.8, Nightblood gains +1 reflex save bonus to avoid traps and +1 AC dodge bonus against attacks by trap. At lv.10 +2, at lv.14 +3, at lv.18+4, at lv.20 +5.

03) Woodland Stride : Starting at 5th level, a Nightblood may move through natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and similar terrain at its normal speed and without suffering damage or other impairment. Magically enchanted territory does not affects Nightblood as well, but it could alarm the Spellcaster, for example.

04) Trackless Step : At 6th level, Nightblood leaves no trail and cannot be tracked.

05) Bloodpin Mastery : At lv10, Nightblood can choose to gains weapon specialization to either Bows, Crossbows, or Throwing weapon. It gains +2 damage bonus while using such weapons. At lv.15, that increases to +4. At lv.20 Nightblood can choose another specialization of the three and has a bonus of +3, and old one increases to +6. If at lv.10 no specialization was chosen, treat the second one as the first. If the player refuses to take the specialization, it gains 2 free bonus feats. Nightbloods ranged specialization does not includes Special Weapons such as guns, futuristic ones, and so forth.

06) Deadly Eye : Starting at level 15, the Nighblood ( if having weapon specialization chosen ) within 30ft strikes with deadly accuracy and always hits a critical with weapons of weapon specialization. At lv.20, that increases to 50ft. 50ft range is 15 ft shorter if it strikes with weapons of second weapon specialization.

07) Sneak Attack : If Nightblood can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself from its attack Nightblood can strike a vital spot for an extra damage. A Nighblood can Sneak Attack only a living creature + Vampire race if the weapon is piercing wooden, silver or holy. This extra damage is at 1st lvl 1d4, at 3rd 1d6, at 6th 1d8, at 10th 2d8, at 12th 2d10, at 15th 2d12, at 20th 3d10. This extra damage is not affected by the eventual critical hit unless the target is a Vampire or Demon.

08) Bonus Feats : At lv.4, 8, 14 and 18 Nightblood gainst extra bonus feat.

09) Darkvision : At lv.3, Nightblood can see in the dark as though it were under the effect of a darkvision. This is a supernatural ability.

10) Hide In Plain Sight : Nightblood can use the Hide Skill even while being observed. As long as they are within 10 feet of some sort of shadow apart from their own, Nightblood can hide themselves from the view in the open whithout anything to actually hide behind.

11) Mirror Darkness : Upon passing under darkness, Nightblood instantly dissapears but is still there, like its form was sticked to the natural surface on which the darkness is. Nightblood, however, is not untouchable, just invisible. Nightblood can see itself, but cannot be detected by magic or physics unless there is another Nightblood, and it has no reflection against a mirroring surfaces, as long as under pure darkness, therefore – strongest shadow.

12) Shadow Path : Upon reaching level 8, Nighblood gains the ability Shadow Path that allows it to walk through shadow as if it is a hall of sort. The line is straight and there must be another shadow at the other end. Upon entering the shadow, Nightblood can see paths that allow him to exit out or simply return. At lv.8 the distance is 20ft, at 10 25, and +5 for each 2 levels until 20.

13) Shadow Ball : At lv.16, Nightblood gains a special magical gift, an evocation/destruction spell. Shadow Ball is a spell that is immune to any spell resistance or immunity. It deals 6d6 points of damage, and at lv.20, 10d6. Shadow Ball cannot cause a «Fatal Damage» effect. For each die, it deals +2 damage to each Lawful Good class, and +2 on maximal die hit to each Paladin. Shadow Ball has no effect on Shadow creatures, incorporeal, oozes, undeads, other Nightblood, Shadowdancer or any other class that has magical abilities of shadow. Upon maximal damage ( 36 or 60 ), if the target survives, it is paralyzed for one round, and furthermore shaken.

14) Clairaudience : Upon reaching lv.8, Nightblood gains this special spell as an ability. Enables spellcaster to concentrate upon some locale and hear almost as if it would be there. Distance is not a factor, but the locale must be just a little bit well known or at least properly searched/researched. The spell does not allow magically enhanced senses to work through it. The spell works only on the plane where the spellcaster currently is.

15) Darkness Fear : Evocation; Casting time: 1 small action; Range: Touch, Target : 1 object or subject; Duration: from 2 minute at 1st level to +2 for each additional level ( Max. 40 ). The spell causes the object or subject touched to shed absolute darkness in a 60-foot radius. Even creatures which can normally see in darkness, cannot see through this type. If the spell is cast on a small object or subject that is then placed inside or under lightproof covering, the spell's effects are blocked until the covering is removed. Any light brought into an area of Darkness Fear is temporarily negated, so that the otherwise prevailing light conditions exist in the overlapping areas of effect. Darkness Fear counters or dispels any light spell equally or less powerful as Darkness Fear is.

16) Arrow Foresight : Upon reaching level 12, Nightblood, if without all bow and crossbow weapons in hand, armor lighter than heavy armor, and with 50 or less % of total weight load, avoids all ranged attacks.

17) Mother Darkness : Upon reaching level 10, Nightblood gains +1 to total Dexterity. Upon reaching level 15, additional +1. Upon reaching level 20, additional +1 to Dexterity and +1 to Strength.

18) Shadow Disciple : Every 2nd level ( 2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20 ), Nightblood gains +1 on all its class skills.

Level/Basic Attack Bonus, Fort Save, Ref Save, Will Save

01st BAB +1, FS +2, RS +2, WS +0

02nd BAB +2, FS +3, RS +2, WS +0

03rd BAB +3, FS +3, RS +3, WS +1

04th BAB +4, FS +4, RS +3, WS +1

05th BAB +5, FS +5, RS +3, WS +2

06th BAB +6/+1, FS +5, RS +4, WS +2

07th BAB +7/+2, FS +5, RS +4, WS +2

08th BAB +8/+3, FS +6, RS +4, WS +2

09th BAB +9/+4, FS +6, RS +5, WS +2

10th BAB +10/+5, FS +7, RS +6, WS +3

11th BAB +11/+6/+1, FS +7, RS +6, WS +3

12th BAB +12/+7/+2, FS +8, RS +6, WS +3

13th BAB +13/+8/+3, FS +8, RS +6, WS +4

14th BAB +14/+9/+4, FS +9, RS +6, WS +4

15th BAB +15/+10/+5, FS +9, RS +7, WS +5

16th BAB +16/+11/+6/+1, FS +10, RS +7, WS +5

17th BAB +17/+12/+7/+2, FS +10, RS +7, WS +6

18th BAB +18/+13/+8/+3, FS +11, RS +8, WS +6

19th BAB +19/+14/+9/+3, FS +11, RS +9, WS +6

20th BAB +20/+15/+10/+5, FS +11, RS +10, WS +7

[ August 18, 2004, 20:36: Message edited by: Shadow Cougar ]

2. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Oooh, that's nice :) I'm definetely trying it out ;)

Still going for the other PRC with the tiefling ranger though, since I've been fitting her to it already. Going for this class now would be a waste of the past two levels. (Since I've been working towards the prereqs for the prc)

But I really like its flavour :D Thanks for investing time in this!

3. Shadow Cougar Banned

Yes, I understand, unless you ask DM to turn you two levels back so that you could fit things. ^.^ He/She should tolerate it. But, alas, lets not overreact. ^.^

I forgot something : Paladin & Antipaladin equally. ^.^

Well..I did took some time, but if you like it, hell, I don't give a damn how much time I wasted ( not ). ^.^

4. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

This class is overpowered. You are making a class with fighter hit die, fighter base attack bonus, better skills, better saving throws, same proficiencies, and class features that are better than having bonus feats every two levels.

I am also confused as to whether this is a core class or a prestige class.

This class is clearly designed to fill a certain niche that is way too specific (tiefling rangers skilled in ranged combat and stealth). Even prestige classes have some leeway in what you can be.

This one needs more work. If I were Faragon's DM, I would not use this prestige class until it is seriously redesigned to be a balanced prestige class.

5. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

It is indeed very specific, but that's what you get when you try to tailor a class to a character :) And I'm not suggesting this class to my DM as I said earlier. I'm still going the other way.

6. Shadow Cougar Banned

Like I said :

Personally I think its a little bit strong, but you can modify it anyway you want if you like the idea. I was not going over 20th level.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.