1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Finally, a politician with a pair of bollocks...

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Barmy Army, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    ... Even if it is Jack Straw. I applaud his comments and agree with them completely.

I fully support Muslim womens right to wear religious gear or whatever else they want. But a public ban should be placed on the full face mask that some Muslim women wear. For reasons of security mainly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/5410472.stm

2. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Considering how it's often considered illegal for anyone to cover their face in public unless situation warrents it (motorbike helmet, dealing with chemicals, in a cold climate) I don't see why Muslim women should be exempt from the law simply due to their religion...

I might as well claim it's my religious obligation to slaughter an animal every day at 1:00pm and call it targetting discrimination if someone tries to stop me.

3. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

If there is a law banning the covering of one's face without justification, then it's only fair to require that they comply.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

You've got to live by the laws of the country you choose to live in. If you go to an Islamic country and it turns out that it is illegal to drink alcohol, then it's fair enough that you should not be allowed to drink it, even if you might declare that dark ales are a religious requirement for you. If you want to drink beer, you go live in a country that allows it.

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Um - from my reading of that no-one is calling for a ban on them - he's only suggesting that it makes communication difficult. I agree with him on that. Banning it would lead to even less communication...

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

My sentiments exactly...

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Harbs: When they make you give up alcohol, which is something you like but they disallow, and which is just putting a restriction on you. When you make them disobey religious regulations because of secular law, it's different.

However, it's not like islam absolutely requires all those burkhas. Show me the queen of Jordan in one.

I will tell you (plural you, not the singular Harbs ;) ) in all honesty that, while I'm actually quite the fan of exotic travels, exotic cultures, history, whatever, and I don't mind tourists or individual immigrants either, I felt somehow endangered the last time I visited the richer parts of Europe (and generally closer to the former colonial metropolies) and saw a lot of burkhas all around me, some turbans and banners in Arabic. Wonder when we're going to have street signs in Arabic in Western Europe.

Now you can roll your eyes at my fear of us all being islamicised etc etc, but just see what kind of reaction you get if you step on the wrong toe when dealing with Islam and many of the Muslim people. Just recall those idiotic satirical drawings of Muhammad in Danish press and what happened later. Those people are not lambs by far.

Perhaps it's the price the West pays for colonialism.

8. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Are you off your rocker Barmy? Jack Straw? If he had bollocks he would be standing up to the US not vunerable minorities.

Ken Livingstone is someone that I would admire.

Chev, I can only speak for N.Ireland, but we have tons of Arabs and Pakistanis and there are no street signs in Urdu or Arabic. The big advantage we have is that we don't allow foreigners to have their own areas as we have learned by our mistakes of dividing districts into Catholic/Protestant estates... Muslims seem to get on well with the beer drinking/pork eating locals.

Harbs/Gnarf - there are no laws in the UK regarding the wearing of headscarves. No-one has a problem with Ultra Orthodox Jews dress sense so why should we have a problem with Muslim women's headscarves?

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    But it's also quite dangerous. When there's somebody who has all their features covered up, you don't have a clue who you're talking to. Just like chavs wearing hoodies and caps are asked to remove them. Any situation in public where a person covers up their face are frowned upon. Why should Muslims be treated differently?

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

The best way to tackle the problem would be to abolish faith schools. Most Muslim women in the UK don't cover up so keeping them away from a strict Islamic enviroment (such as faith schools) will lessen the number of ninjas (as we call fully covered women). If N.Ireland had abolished faith schools decades ago, things would have been very different.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    @Cúchulainn: Yeah, another thing we don't have here yet. We have a several centuries old Muslim minority, but you won't tell those folks in the crowd. The self-formed ghettos are scary. It's one thing when they are being reached to in their own language (and generally communication "code") to help them integrate, but it's completely different when islands form.

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    From a security point of view, I understand this, but he was complaining because it serves to mark them as seperate. If anything, I encourage this. We are different and people need to accept that John Allen Muhamed over there doesn't do things the same way you do. We should mark ourselves as seperate in areas that matter to us. I frequently wear christian paraphenalia, not because I want to cause trouble, or even directly because I want to start a discussion, though such are nice, but because I want everyone to know what I stand for. I have no problem with muslims wearing face-coverings, or jews wearing those hat things (can't think of their name atm), or gays wearing gay-pride stuff. I like to know where people stand on an issue. I may not agree with them, but they should feel perfectly comfortable marking themselves as different.

At the same time, I also have no problem with him asking, ASKING, that they do remove the coverings. That's his perogative.

13. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

The problem is that Muslim people aren't living in the UK with us, the majority, white and C of E, they are living in their own little country inside of our country, there is barely any integration, and all of their kids are going to Muslim schools.

On a smaller scale, it wouldn't really matter, but because there are so many Muslims here, there must be proper integration, and these faith schools have to go if we are all to live together, because if nothing changes, there will be enormous race riots within out major cities. It really is a crisis issue in this country, hate is brewing big time between muslims and non-muslims, and things have to change.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

Last time I was in London, I seen many white men with Pakistani girlfriends, like it was almost a legal requirement so I think the majority are quite integrated. True there are areas where you almost doubt that you are still in the UK, but I think its nice, and you are made to feel welcome. Thats probably one of the main reasons why I like the south of England - because there is so much variety.

If you look at the average woman in the UK, you will notice that very few of them wear any type of burka or headscarf. Around Belfast its mostly Malysian woman that wear headscarves, not the Pakistanis, Indians, Turks or Arabs, but then again its no big deal.

15. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

How could you tell they were Pakistani? Why not from India, Bangladesh or the Punjab?

I agree that the only lass I know who wears the headscarf is Malaysian.

16. Argohir Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I agree with him. And those radical Muslims are inclined to anger at every little thing which doesn't support them. They think everybody is trying to steal their religion from them. And there are some women with face coverings here in Turkey and it is disturbing. Even there can be a male murderer under this thing!

And another interesting thing: some of my friends say they saw women with face coverings in a beach. Then these women took out their wearing and started to swim with bikini! But that is another topic.

17. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

We in little old Danmark (us with the drawings) had a problem with burkas, in the wake of all this muhammed stuff (and i cant stress how far this was blown out), some officials tried to be ekstra nice to muslims, so in airport checks etc, muslim women where not required to remove thier burka. which is just stupid.

Secondly we have a law which forbid face-covering public, unless needed, as with biker helms.
    I asume the police and state let the muslims keep them on not to cause trouble, but imho it seems wrong that you can bypass a law with religous reasons.
    I dont mind people wearing religius symbols or that stuff. but being allowed to break a law do to religion seems a bit over the top.

18. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31

I met more Pakistanis so I am assuming they are in the majority (in regards to Asian Muslims). Its easy to tell the difference between Sikhs and Muslims.

Argohir - I have a similar story to yours. A friend in Turkey said she seen an Iranian woman completely covered head-to-toe buying sexy lingerie!

Funny link

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/111997.html

19. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

I don't know where you've been going, but I live in Birmingham, and I've never seen an asian/white couple in my life, and I spend every day in the city centre. Trust me when I tell you that the majority are not quite integrated at all. Have you seen the news lately? It's an issue every politician is taking about.

20. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

I admit that my experience is limited to girls I met at University in London, and their friends (also from around London, mostly Slough) - plus more recent work-colleagues. However they are/were a mixed collection of Sikh, Muslim, Hindu and, although all born in England, would trace their routes back to one of the aforementioned countries. I had absolutely no way of telling what country or what religion they were from just by looking at them.

Intergration wise it is a bit difficult to describe. There is no doubt they have a different culture, differing goals, different taste in music (Bangra is terrible imo). But I've found this to be the case (to differing degrees) with almost every group of different nationalities - be them French, German or Chinese. However, I was always made to feel welcome in their sense of "normal" and they never had an problem joining my sense of "normal". However, neither of us would want to live the other way and nor should we have to.

Actually, the English are propbably worse than anyone else. If you look at the situation in France and Spain, or further afield in the UAE and Dubai, the English (as a whole) make very little effort to even learn the language, never mind intergrating into the local culture.

I think the issue is that too often, people stick with what they know and therefore don't get to mingle with other cultures. In England, people from a non-english culture can feel unwelcome, ostracised and out of their depth if they try and just "join in" which puts them off doing it in future. I've found it best to experience other peoples cultures if you want them to join in yours. It's amazing how much fun you can have trying to sing Cantonese Kareoke on a drunken New Years evening, and would hope they had as much fun joining in our party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.