1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth - Interview

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by RPGWatch, Nov 22, 2023.

1. RPGWatch

RPGWatch Watching... ★ SPS Account Holder

[​IMG]Destructoid talked with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Director Naoki Hamaguchi:

[​IMG]

Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth director talks action combat and getting wrangled by Zack

Go ahead, start speculating.

Based on what we've seen so far, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth looks similar to Final Fantasy 7 Remake. However, it also appears to hide subtle refinements underneath the surface that may make it a substantially different experience. And according to game director Naoki Hamaguchi, it seems this vibe is, indeed, by design.

Last month, I had the opportunity to play Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth for myself. While I gave my honest thoughts about what I saw during that demo, the experience left me deeply curious about Rebirth's adherence to the original formula and what pieces would deviate. Fortunately, I didn't have to leave every curiosity unfulfilled, and I was provided the opportunity to email a few questions directly to the game's development team, which Hamaguchi himself kindly answered.

Below, you'll find our full exchange, which includes insight into how the game will approach both its evolved combat system as well as its new story. Also, there's a line about Zack that I can't get out of my head. Enjoy!

Interview with Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Director Naoki Hamaguchi

Greetings! I'm Timothy Monbleau, Guide Editor for Destructoid. I've followed the Final Fantasy series since before I could even read, so it is a privilege to ask you about Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth. Thank you for your time.

Now, for my questions.

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth offers a bit of a new beginning. While it continues the story of Final Fantasy VII Remake, players will have to level up their characters and Materia all over again. Was it a challenge to make Final Fantasy VII Rebirth feel fresh for those who mastered Final Fantasy VII Remake?

Naoki Hamaguchi: It was a significant decision not to carry over the growth element while keeping this installment format. However, I would like to explain that this decision was made with clear intention. The FINAL FANTASY VII remake project is planned to be a trilogy, but we don't intend to develop the second game to fit the first game's format, only with different content. The second title has evolved based on feedback from the first title, and naturally, the third title will evolve even further based on the feedback from the second title.

This has an impact on the battle system and the entire game experience in the field, so even if elements appear similar to the previous game, they have been adjusted, expanded, and are therefore not the same. Rather than forcing the game to be carried over and creating discrepancies in the gameplay experience for each player, we decided that it would be better for all users to be able to enjoy the game in the same state, which would result in a new and fresh experience for everyone. Of course, we've heard a wide range of opinions and feedback from users, but we've also put tremendous effort into creating an experience that will satisfy many fans, and hope those decisions will be received well.

[...]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2023
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.