1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Filesharing not the enemy?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, May 16, 2004.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I remember that for a while I liked the old US tv series "Quincy", and the episode that made me stopped watching it. During a punk concert a young punk was stabbed to death with a screwdriver. Quincy goes forth to investigate and meets a Mrs. "I'm concerned" who tells him that the evil, agressive punk music was to blame, as it drives the kids insane and to violent acts. Quincy eagerly reiterated this credo.

Well, I haven't killed someone yet, despite my exposure to some *really* mean music. The obvious nonsense of Quincy's claim aside, that's what was propagandised for a long time.
    The record industry's well funded and lobbied attacks on filesharing IMO aren't much more convincing. So filesharing is responsible for dropping record sales?

The deeper secret reason why *I* rarely buy records anymore is that there simply isn't good new music I like around atm.
    For every new band making a successful debut in germany, and I think that's for the US as well, there are to some 6 more copycats to cash in on their success, sometimes at the trendsetter's own record company.
    To expect something new and authentic or interesting is futile, it was never part of the plan. With a record industry producing crap in megatons, they wonder about sales dropping. Bleh.

New bands in Germany consequently refuse to work for the "we tell you how you ought to be" industry that is sacrificing creativity for streamlined commerciality, that has no interest in allowing a band to develop a style (what well might take a few years) - their interest is shareholder value, not music.
    That is recognised by the newer bands in Germany who want to make money, but making it doing *their* thing. So they wander off, quit their contracts with the large record companies. There was the tale of an EMI manager calling a successful new band, getting "Satan begone!" as a reply before he could even make his offer. The new bands do make profit, but at smaller, more individual labels that grant them the freedom they seek. That's the trend in Germany.

Now the Harvard business school has made an analysis named "The effect of Filesharing on Record Sales - An empirical Analysis" on filesharing that came to the surprising result, that despite the public mourning of the record industry, p2p seems not to affect record sales, to the contrary actually.
    So, as it seems, the result of lobbying for harsher anti-filesharing laws primarily serves the lobbyists, not the public or the record business as a whole.
    When the large record companies succumb to their own business practices, or shrink, so be it.
    That's about how I think about it. The effect Darwin's law in economy isn't really news. When I see the record industry lobbying I always think about Dinosaurs trying to lobby the iceage away.
    More on that in this article here. Opinions anyone?

[ May 16, 2004, 18:05: Message edited by: Ragusa ]

2. Hugo Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

The article is too big dude.
    Still, I agree, harsh action on music dl'ders will just piss people off and you ain't gonna stop no-one.
    A short reply, but it's hard argueing when you agree with the piont made

3. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Isn't that what government sanctions have always been? ;) You know; one demands better protection from cheaper imports, and everyone pays more. I think that this is, basically, the same thing: RIAA and others are just trying to keep the money in their pockets -at very harsh methods at times, and against persons.

4. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    No surprise to me. Next thing after stopping the nonsense crusade against P2P should be lowering the retail prices of products.

Laws of the market suggest that lowering prices results in more issues of product sold. However, as power corrupts and the closer to absolute the power is, the closer to absolute is corruption, music and software publishers disregard the laws of the market apart from one: the strongest dictate the terms. Consequently, they are not willing to play by the standard rules. They are not interested in adjusting the end price so as to improve the sales figures. They want to maintain the current price and increase the sales by creating a necessity for the use of product and obtaining convenient legal provisions de facto forcing the end buyers to purchase the product and purchase it for the given price.

Needless to say, that is a travesty of both economy and law. As such, the practice needs to meet an end, the sooner the better. Even if this means bringing harm to music or software companies' interests and shareholder value. Abusive practice merits no protection from public authority, especially taking in consideration that any such protection is ultimately financed by tax payers. There is no such thing as a basic right to exploit economic circumstances, therefore there is no generic legal obstacle to limiting and removing existing protective measures in their current shape. Even more so in countries of which constitutions adhere to concepts of social justice.

In addition to this, it is also reasonable that adhesion contracts (such as End User License Agreements) that cannot be negotiated by the offeree necessitate a broader scope of judicial control and legislative regulation, especially with regard to artificial non-physical limitations such as the ones of copyrights and End User License Agreements.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.