1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Favourite and ideal party ...

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by thetruth, Jun 12, 2005.

1. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I know there are many topics about which is your favourite party, NPCs you like most, strongest party etc...
    But is your favourite party the same with your ideal one?
    For me it's like this:

Favourite party -(NPCs you like the most,even if you know they are not the most powerful in the game,but you take them with you for reasons like funny dialogues,interesting character,a romance,alignment matter or just because it was your first BG2 party and you can't do without them):

1)PC (fighter)
    2)Minsc
    3)Keldorn-Sarevok (ToB)
    4)Imoen(Joshimo)
    5)Aerie (romance)
    6)Jaheira

Ideal party - (your most powerful party-the most powerful NPCs-the most complete and nothing else matters party):

1)PC (fighter)
    2)Korgan
    3)Keldorn-Sarevok (ToB)
    4)Edwin
    5)Viconia
    6)Haer'Dalis (or Jan)

2. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Favorite
    PC - kensai 13/ thief or just fighter
    Korgan
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Imoen (from Jan)
    Sarevok (ToB)

Ideal
    heck, why do you even need to make PARTY, go for F/M/T solo :grin:
    actually I don't know :confused:

3. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I personally like paladin as PC(kits. see my ID).
    and I usually always take at least one of the old BG1 chars.
    and I like spell-casting(I personally hate fighters. they get no spell) party.
    and also, I always put Jan in my party.
    one I like is:
    PC- one of paladin kits
    Minsc(not good at spellcasting. but he does get to cast spells. and also best fighter in SoA)
    Jaheira(good at both fighting and spellcasting)
    Imoen(third-best mage)
    Aerie(both Cleric and Mage spells)
    Jan(wizardry and thievery)
    I never care about personallaties. they just are nothing to do with winning the game.

4. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Chickavalier
    If Imoen is third best mage, who is the second best? (Edwin is obviously the best)

Favourite:
    PC - Undead Hunter (I hate level drain!!!)
    Sarevok
    Imoen
    Viconia
    Edwin
    Kaigen (why did they replace him with that lame korgan? :(

Most powerful:
    PC - Sorcerer
    Edwin
    Korgan
    Anomen
    Sarevok
    Second PC - some kind of thief

5. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Jan is the second best mage, unless you have Solaufein.

Favourite: dunno, all is good as long as it has Jan in it, and perhaps Minsc.

Ideal:
    PC
    Korgan
    Keldorn (or Sola)
    Viconia
    Jan
    Edwin

6. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    my fav party consists of:

cavalier
    archer
    cleric opr druid (perhaps Viccy)
    mage-thief (perhaps Jan)

... for a challenging and entertaining game.

As you see, NPCs don't really qualify, because the game isn't made for my playing preferences :shake:

:spin: My opening salvo is like a thunderstorm :roll:

7. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

First:Edwin(Int 18,kit)
    Second:Nalia(Int 17)
    Third:Imoen(Int 17)
    Fourth:Jan(Int 16,kit)
    Last:Aerie(Int 16)
    also, Nalia and Imoen is almost no difference(In mage stuff). but reason that people like Imoen more is Thievery stuff.

8. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

yep, also the game wouldn't let you be a hafling and cavalier (unless you use SK).

Well I just finished SoA with
    PC - ranger 9/cleric dual
    Chloe (mod)
    Saerilith (mod) - substituted with SKed Aerie
    Imoen

and it was no fun without Minsc's butt-kicking for goodness.

9. Chickavalier Gems: 9/31

I won't try halfling paladin. they get -1 to strength. but I'm thinking about hobbit ranger weiding two swords.

10. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

1x F/M/C...perfect AND ideal party.

:D :D :D

11. thetruth Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

@ Chickavalier

Minsc is my favourite NPC but unfortunately Korgan is by far the best fighter in SoA :( .

And others NPCs like Keldorn,Mazzy are better fighters than Minsc (with the help of some boost-stat items) :( :(

12. Jhonka

Jhonka This is the face of Justice Veteran

IMO, the ideal party is whichever one you have the most fun with. For me it's something like

PC - Monk (LN or LG)
    Minsc or Edwin
    Viconia (Jaheira's great, but IMO Viccy has much better banter)
    Yoshimo/Imoen
    Jan
    Korgan, or Keldorn if I take Jaheira instead of Viconia.

As you can see, I like personality in my party. Minsc is very rarely not in my party, but the rest changes quite a bit. If my PC is female, Kelsey (mod NPC) almost always ends up in the gang.

...Maybe one of these days I'll set up a party made for powergaming. Like a solo FMT ;)

13. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mênu! Veteran

Hey Faraaz, I know this is off-topic, but how do you handle traps when playing solo?

Anyway, I've had quite a few "favorite" parties over time, so I can't really nail down one in particular. My favorite protagonists have always been multiclassed guys: F/M/C (most recent) C/R, F/Ill. I had a great time with the F/Ill, because I think Gnomes are great. I also played a dwarven F/C, which was cool, but not nearly the power level of that C/R.

My favorite NPCs are: Keldorn, Minsc, Jaheira, and Imoen. Jan is great too, but is usually the victim of number crunching. If I'm not part Cleric, then I need to drag along one of the more annoying NPCs, which is pretty much why I enjoy playing Clerics so much. I don't really see the need to play a thief, because I enjoy Imoen.

Here's my ultimate power party (mind that reputation!):

Fighter/Mage/Cleric
    Jaheria
    Imoen
    Keldorn
    Edwin
    Korgan (or go with a 5-man party in SoA and add Sarevok in ToB).

14. Elwyn De'Liam Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@Klorox:
    When you play solo you either just walk on the traps and take the damage, or if you're a mage and short on hit points you turn on some spell protection (stoneskin, spell deflection etc.)

Also, you can go with Korgan in SOA and dump him for Sarevok in TOB...

15. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Chickavalier,
    the real advantage of a halfling pally, except for the demonstration of good taste in your choice, are his saves, which are astounding to say the least.

'Hard wired' strength is vastly overrated. Except for the ability to carry loot you only need it in combat and then you can generate it.

Strength can be achieved using the various gloves and belts the game offers, and before you get them, through potions or various spells.

And of course, you do only play a halfling pally, and a halfling pally always is a halfling cavalier, right and authentic -- that is: my way -- when you give him a shortsword and one handed fighting style.

16. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

@ Klorox: Two words...Mirror Image.

Except for an occasional trap which mazes you, this should get you through most traps. And if you DO get mazed, Power Word:Reload + Spell Immunity: Conjuration is your friend. :)

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Favorite party depends on when...

I always have a romance -- they're all good. If Aerie is romance of the day, I like to have HD along for the added dialogue.

I like the Minsc, Keldorn, Anomen, and Jan combination for a while -- what a hoot (but I always let Keldorn stay with his family).

When Edwin comes along I like to have Minsc -- just about everyone has good comments (Nalia's being the best).

With ToB installed, they're all insanely powerful by the time you get to Hell -- doesn't really matter who you have.

Halfling Paladin would be fun -- you don't need strength with that Girdle available so early in the game.

18. 14 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Hmmm here is my favourite party.

Jahera.
    Romancing my step father and my own dead fried's wife.

Solaufein.
    link to the Sola mod
    http://weidu.org/main.html
    we engage in homosexual activities. a drow no less. (haven't found a mod making Anoewhine homosexsual, otherwise he is OK too)

Viconia.
    er... romancing two drows... This one explicitly gives me a rep hit.

Imoen
    Who else. With yet another mod I can at the mean time romance my own sister...
    link to Imoen romance mod
    http://www.imoen.org/

Hmmm that leaves one last spot. I have three options:
    With yet ANOTHER mod I can romance Edwin or Edwina the bi-sexsual mage.
    link to Edwin romance mod
    http://forums.forgottenwars.net/index.php?showforum=69
    If I'm evil I could romance anther girl named Aerie. Show her the evil ways outside the circus. Or I could probably bring Haer'Dalis the demon to Amn... yeah... Plus he's a bard and can make songs and stories to immortalise the time I walked on the planes... with my controversial love slaves...

[ June 13, 2005, 17:42: Message edited by: 14 ]

19. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Favorite:

Protagonist - Sorcerer
    Imoen - Thief 7, Mage
    Minsc - Ranger
    Jaheira - Fighter/Druid
    Aerie - Mage/Cleric
    Viconia - Cleric (Sorcerer after SK)

Ideal:

Protagonist - Sorcerer (sling for ranged)
    Imoen - Thief 7, Mage (thief skills, spells, ranged)
    Keldorn - Cavalier or whatever (that ûber weapon)
    Korgan - Fighter (axes maxed for melee/ranged)
    Jaheira - Druid/Cleric (stone skin, sling for ranged)

Even though that ideal party would straighten some curves, I still go with my favorite party every time.

20. Western Paladin Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

This is an adventure game, not a teen sex romp! :p

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.