1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fast Spell Casting (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by ObLiViOn, Nov 29, 2000.

1. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] What is this one piece of equipment that like allows u to cast a spell really fast? I know boots of speed will do that, but i remember hearing something else that can give u the ability to cast spells fast....any ideas?

2. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't believe the Boots of Speed will increase spell casting speed; you are essentially Hasted and Haste doesn't improve spell casting speed...

The item you're looking for is the Robe of Vecna (I think that's right) and it can be purchased from the "extra" vendor that's in the Adventurer's Mart (the one who sells Planescape stuff IIRC).

3. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Actually, the boots of speed do not increase casting time, give extra attacks or anything else other than movement rate, it just looks like you are casting faster. To answer your question, the Robe of Vecna and Amulet of Power both reduce casting time. The first by 4 i believe and the second by 1.

Together you can cast spells and have the affect before you finish the incantation! Works great and allows the casting of defensive spells while actually IN combat.

Amon-Ra

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Um... I could be wrong, but I think the Boots of Speed do indeed give you an extra attack since the icon on your picture shows you Hasted while wearing them...

It's true that in previous games (BG1 and IWD) that Boots of Speed were movement rate increasing only, but I believe they changed that for BG2...

5. Amon-Ra Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I know it gives you the haste symbol, but it does not allot extra attacks, not even to classes that normally receive multiple attacks. It is strictly movement rate. Try putting them on a character, check attacks per round, then take it off. Nothing changes. I know because my 'hasted' character would swing about 5 times before he would make an attack roll.

Amon-Ra

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Fair enough... Do the attacks per round under the profile go up under the effects of a Haste spell?

I never actually checked the effects of the boots to be honest, so you may very well be right. If so, they sure had ME fooled :)

7. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Seems like my main fighter makes a lot more attacks with the boots of speed as well, but they do not apear to decrease casting time. The robe and amulet combo work great and allow you to fire off spells(even high level) like crazy. Plus the amulet gives permanent vocalization, protection from level drain, and magic resistance. My Kensai Mage is a vampire killing machine!!

8. EternalPaladin Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I definately agree, plus the boots do make a character attack faster. My first time around I had 2 sets and it was awesome being able to to that much damage that quickly

9. ObLiViOn Gems: 2/31

aite everyone thanx, so im out to go set for the Vecna (i think thats how u spell it) and the Amulet of power. thanx

10. Vile Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Amon-Ra is right, the boots don't increase the # of attacks per round; they only increase your speed. Your character looks like he attacks faster, but he makes the same # of attack rolls as before.

11. Septic Yogurt Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

sounds good, where are the boots of speed anyway, my NPCs need to keep up with my monk.

12. Crawl Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

One pair is in the planar prison, and another can be obtained in the assylum dungeon.

13. Cancerman Gems: 2/31

-just want to add that it takes 15 mithill tokens to get the boots of speed in spellhold...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.