1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

fantastic rolls? bug? feature? actual d&d rule?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by ettercap, Sep 8, 2002.

1. ettercap Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

hail fellow adventurers,

i´ve been watching this vivid meeting point of yours for quite a while and i must say this is one the most inviting taverns that my weary feet have come across ever since i wander the enchanted forests and deep caverns of adventure. and, blimey! it´s been more than a decade now (funny how time flies) that i first took my sword and bow and left home for good.

ah...but nevertheless i don´t want to talk your ear of with the story of my life ;) the ale is good here, the prices reasonable, the girls pretty and the the inn-keeper could go for a wash...but show me a place where this is different i still wouldn´t trade it in for the cosy fire of the big oak branches in that fireplace we´re sitting next to.

and one more jug of the stuff i just had. thank you.

what i came here for? ah yes, sorry that i almost forgot, an old tale-teller like me usually wanders off a long way before getting to the point ;) what i came here for is a interesting circumstance, i encountered in the death-cold spine of the world.

i already traveled the monster-flooded mountains before in my life and i was really glad that i was with such trustworthy and reliable companions there. we fought some serious battles and kept an eye on each other, so we could finally ward off the demon and the great white snake of the sea.

well, peace was restored, the sages and bard had something to troll about, feastes were held, girls kissed; hardcore, you know the score...

now that i learned of a "new" challenge, set by the notorious luremaster, i called for my old companions, only to learn that they went for good and for some binary rest in the depths of my campaign controlling device.
    life sucks and so i took myself some time and money, to hang around in the usual places and wait for some new blood to come along and strengthen my force.

3 hours and some serious rolling business later, i came up with the following band of (uncheated)merry men:

dwarven fig

str 18/97
    dex 17
    con 19
    int 3
    wis 18
    cha 4

human fig (bound to be thf later on, or cleric? hum, suggestions welcome...)

str 18/00
    dex 18
    con 18
    int 4
    wis 18
    cha 3

human pal

str 18/72
    dex 16
    con 18
    int 3
    wis 15
    cha 17

human cle

str 18
    dex 18
    con 18
    int 3
    wis 18
    cha 4

human thf (bound to be mag later on)

str 18
    dex 18
    con 18
    int 18
    wis 3
    cha 9

human mag

str 18
    dex 18
    con 18
    int 18
    wis 3
    cha 4

so much for the average and well-balanced party, i confess, i was in a superhero-mood ;) but i wouldn´t want to brag with the stats here, dear interested reader, what really made me wonder was, where the fantastic base ac´s came from that nearly all of them offered.

as follows:

1. -6 (!!)
    2. -6 (!!)
    3. 5 (still pretty cool)
    4. 4 (!)
    5. 8 (ah, now we´re talking normal here)
    6. 0 (!!, got that patent of raistlins bronze skin, or what? i am not willing to pay any lawyer costs here, friend...just the usual food and robe expenses)

well, i was flipping my manual like crazy to find a hint in any direction, since my experiences with d&d are only computer based, but dex 18 should only give them a base ac of 6 (mistake with the algebraic sign?) and anyway, how were these rather "cross" 0, 4 and 5 accomplished?

does wis affect it any way? should only affect overcome of magic and priest spell stuff, right?

well, it´s more a question of curiosity or consider it a premium-crack-pro-rule-trivia, but i´d really love to find out, what made my peepz so sherman-tank-like and if the army´s gonna pay me some money for the patent. so far i´m saving the hell on armourplate and the usual starter monsters bounce off their chesthair like in a pinball machine. sight to see, though it makes it a bit dull...

hope to hear some advice soon, if my grammar, orthography or spelling should be whack, don´t wonder, me is german krautwurst ;)

[ September 08, 2002, 21:26: Message edited by: ettercap ]

2. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

LOL!!!

2/3's of your party can hardly even talk! ROFL!

you should really fix that int score, those dudes will be able to do absolutely nothing. They're hardly smarter than a domestic animal for crying out loud!

a cat and a dog got 2 int :)

In my humble opinion them stats stink, but they may be useable in the game. Should get something more overall

[ September 08, 2002, 21:35: Message edited by: Lokken ]

3. ettercap Gems: 2/31

hey, i know, it was on purpose. i went with those 11 something averages through the game last time and so far my pack of village boobies does pretty well. what does a fighter need the talking skill anyway *g*

okay, okay, if it comes to serious roleplaying these guys are as realistic as a floridean (?) election result, but as i said, i was going for that prime-stats-whooey-business on full purpose...

so no comments about their vital stats, but rather on that base ac stuff ;)

but wait a minute, does int affect their scripted behaviour in any way? so far i have all scripts off...

and i forgot, i use icewind dale w/ full add-on package (how and totlm), so i should be ver 1.43 or something. all german, game difficulty on avg. though they should be heart-of-fury-proof pretty soon.

well met anyway and looking forward for more advices.

4. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I don't know this, but I highly suspect. You will probably miss out on several "class-only" dialogues through the game. There's parts where your bard/cleric/druid/mage can get you a couple extra xp. Your paladin shouldn't suffer from this, but it's possible.

Not like there's all that much xp to miss like that anyways...

5. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

I thought that was charisma that affected those scores, not int. Anyway, in most of these games, anything that can be acquired with a high int can be done with a high wis, which all but that thief have.

Sounds like a possible bug with the skin, are they totally naked (no spells or anything)?

6. ettercap Gems: 2/31

yep, these are the base ac stats. maybe it was a bug while i rolled, the rest of the game seems to be stable and the other campaign i did with the same setup featured normal ac figures. ah, wait, i didn´t use the luremaster back then, maybe this one shook something up...

i was aiming on high wis in order to overcome mental spell effects. all those nuts-spelled pc´s during my last campaign gave me a hard time.

7. Harkle Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Your characters have low lore value, but that isn't really important (identify costs 100 gold in most shops) :rolleyes:

8. Ray192 Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

putting consitution of anything beyond 16 on any characters except warriors is purely a waste, since they won't get a HP bonus. on the other hand, a low wisdom isn't good for a mage, sicne if I remeber correctly, it causes spell faliures. besides, I'd rather have 2 mages and 2 warriors, 2 mages combo can do damn lots of damage in late game.

9. ettercap Gems: 2/31

i am going to dual my thief when he´s at lvl 7 or 8 since i usually don´t make such a use of the stealth tactics, or let´s say it so, my thiefs usually get spotted anyway, even with being hidden in shadows and a stealth value beyond 100%

thanks for the hint with the constitution, i wasn´t aware of that.

10. Harkle Gems: 16/31

I think that low wisdom doesn't cause spell failure to arcane(mage, bard) spells.

11. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

[​IMG] Hmmm ..., I'm mosty getting chars with better stats. The paladins and rangers are very easy to generate, as the rolls are improved to fit the class requirements. So I'm able to get in a very short time a character like :

Str 18/70+
    Dex 18
    Con 16
    Int 10
    Wis 16
    Char 17 (my current Paladin) :cool:

Anyway - with bit of patience you should be able to get char with summed stats > 88 (what should be taken as a decent 'minimum' for a char).

As for the strength - why should i bother getting 18/00 ? In the early game part you will surely be able to survive with 18/xx, and later there surely comes some Jade_Underwear_of_Some_Giant_Strength. :D

12. ettercap Gems: 2/31

are u sure bout the paladin rolls, this one took the longest time w/o ever coming close to your stats.

13. Harkle Gems: 16/31

Paladin minimum ability scores are: STR 12, DEX 3, CON 9, INT 3, WIS 13 and CHA 17, so it's quite easy to get good stats :)

14. Hassassin Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

To ettercap :

I have started a new game, and was able to generate the whole party in a hour. Surely it is boring to re-roll for a hour, but when you learn to judge the stats with one look, you are able to make it rapidly. As someone a long time ago suggested :

1 - forget any rolls, that have one or more attr value smaller than 10 - except that the other ones look REALLY interesting
    2 - the summed value is what interests you - so taking 10 as a 0, you are summing only the second digits - anything greater than 28 starts to be interesting.

I hope this helps to speed it up.

Of course, in case that you want to have 18/00 or something like that, it can take really long time.

Regards

Hassassin

[ September 16, 2002, 12:15: Message edited by: Hassassin ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.