1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Familiars - worth going for?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy, Jan 11, 2002.

1. [GoodFellaZ] Voodoo Daddy Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] I have almost finished SOA twice, but have never the "find familiar" spell, and now I wonder if that has been a mistake. I´m a mage (I dont actually know if your main caracter has to be that in order to use the spell???)

what are your thoughts about this particular spell, do you use it?

regards to all you good (and evil!!) people out there who make this forum the best place to be on the net.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A familiar is a must for any mage. Even if you don't use it throughout the game, you can still cast the spell, put the familiar into your backpack and enjoy the 10 extra HP.

3. Niobe Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I had a familiar, and he was quite cute. I didn't use him for anything, just carried him around, gave him a bit of affection every now and then. But then one day, he was gone... I didn't lose my point of constitution, so he must have run away. Very sad.

4. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Nah, there is a bug never totally mended with familiars: they disappear.

To be sure familiar won't vanish - always keep it in backpack and use only for a sort of special tasks (for example: trap detection).

[EDIT]
    Nice point below, but I talk about serious problems with familiars disappearance when you walk between areas. Whatever...

[This message has been edited by Extremist (edited January 11, 2002).]

5. bp Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

This happened to me once. My inventory was full, and an NPC gave me an item (arrows I think). I noticed that a message appeared that an item was left on the ground. To make room for the arrows, my familiar had been knocked out of my inventory and left on the ground!

If I hadn't noticed the message, I would have walked off and left him.

6. zaknafein Guest

i hate losing them. its realy anoying. just when you need it to cast invisibility you find its gone.
    for some reason my sister wants one when i showed her mine. the only problem is she's a fighter.

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

Any class can have a familiar...simply go into the inventory screen and drink a potion, then swap the slot that it was in with the scroll and go back to the main screen, your character should begin casting the spell. Of course this isn't legit but you asked. This should work with any version of the game since I tryed it with my ToB patched game and it did.

The Beastmaster Ranger kit can also cast the spell "Find Familiar" as soon as they are able to cast priest spells at level 8.

8. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Uhh... how do you put the scroll in a fighter slot?? Isn't it a mage spell?

9. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

You don't have to put in a quick-slot. Your inventory slot will do. Works for any class IIRC. And it's cheating, so please.

10. Berem Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] How do you put a familiar into your pack?

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Talk to it. One of the options will be to put it somewhere safe.

12. Anaris Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] you are supposed to give affection to familiars? I slapped my imp until it flew away.

13. Sandor the Irrelevant Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Does your familiar always have the same lame ass spells available?

14. Taluntain

Media:
  15. I believe a 'find familiar' spell can be found in the de'Arnise keep, bought, or just selected as an already known spell.

16. Lord Sarevok Guest

Hey, if his sister wants a pet familiar who am I to deny her it? ;)

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I hava a familiar on my current fighter-mage and I found the extra hitpoints extremely useful ... since my last one disappered sometime ago in an earlier game with the bladesinger chainmail (I kept it in my backpack all the time), I allowed it to be outside permanently. However, one day I wasn't able to make it move or to cas a spell any longer. Now, I can only talk to it, cuddle it and take it in my backpack ... and there it is, happily. :D

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 17, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.