1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Fahrenheit 9/11

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Sir Belisarius, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I saw this movie over the weekend, in New York City. I'm glad I saw it there...It seemed like a lot of people there remembered events of a few years ago that gave the film more impact.

Overall, I thought it was a great movie! I enjoyed it from both an entertainment and political standpoint. And if half of what is shown in the movie is true, Bush needs to go! And amazingly, I voted for the jackass 4 years ago!

I won't give away any spoilers, but before I saw this film, I was still wrestling with my choice for President in this upcoming election. Now, although still not a supporter of Kerry, I will take up the rallying cry: "Anyone But Bush!"

There just seem to be too many coincidences to dismiss, and the film left me feeling as if I had been hoodwinked by the politics and media slant of greed. As I've said many times before, the U.S. needs a strong, viable third party to compete in national elections...We'll never truly be a free, democratic nation without one!

My advice on seeing this film: If you're voting in this years' presidential election, this film is a must see. At the very least, it'll give you a few things to mull over.

If you're not planning to vote this year...You suck!

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It was the number one movie at the US box office last weekend, taking approximately US$21.8m to make it already the highest grossing documentary in US history (after only 1 week!). This is despite only showing on 868 screens. This gave it a per-screen average of about $25,115 (compare this to the opening weekend of Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban which made $24,303 per screen).

Clearly, all the pre-release controversy has translated firmly into box-office dollars for the film-makers and distributors, just as it did for Passion of the Christ earlier in the year.

3. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I just got back from seeing it. I'm somewhat speechless on it, I recommend any U.S. citizen to go see it, even if you are a Bush supporter.

I can't even describe how I feel about it because watching made me feel a mix of sadness, horror, intense (really intense) anger and actual real sickness.

It also made me tired.

My girlfriend cried a bunch of times.

Unbelievable.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I haevn't seen it, but I was under the impression that it didn't actually reveal much that everybody didn't already know, especially those who follow politics in any way (like regulars in the Alley of Dangerous Angles). I had been told that it just skimmed the surface of the same old accusations but without providing any further insight.

From browsing the AoDA it seems that most of you already have a fairly strong idea of GWB's intelligence, level of corruption, agenda etc....

What does this film have to add?

5. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Um...maybe y'all should read this review by Christopher Hitchens, who ain't a rightwinger by any stretch - he once dedicated a whole column to why the Ten Commandments were ridiculous, and he's directed about a dozen documentaries himself, including one calling for the head of Henry Kissinger.

Not to leave you in any suspense as to Hitchens' utter contempt for the movie, but here are two quick sentences:

and

6. Harbourboy

So there you have it. Who do you believe?

For the makers of this film, it probably doesn't matter because both believers and un-believers pay the same price for their tickets.

7. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Yeah, well, Hitchens has also staked his famous break with the left on his support for the Iraq war (following his support for NATO's action in Bosnia, etc.), so he's not exactly an unbiased observer here.

And if you're interested in "Al Jazeera propaganda," you might want to check out "Control Room," an interesting documentary of Al Jazeera (and CentCom) during the start of Iraq II.

My verdict on F9/11: I enjoyed it, and am glad it's come out to the reception it has. It wasn't a *great* work of art, nor did it really deserve the Palme D'Or, but then again Moore never set out to be a great artist or filmic craftsman. Its value was in its provocation, and in this way it works as a nice corrective to the political spin of Bush and Iraq II at Fox, etc. Sure, Moore is biased against Bush, and F9/11 is quite heavy-handed at times, but it's great to see a re-contextualization of all of these now iconic post-9/11 images and events in a way that doesn't so reflexively equate being pro-American with being pro-war and pro-Bush. In short, F9/11 is IMO good for America, and I hope lots of people see it.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Since we've discussed Bowling for Columbine in AoDA previously, I'm moving this one there as well.

9. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

GM, that review is unbiased? What qualifies as biased to you?

@Harbourboy, even if you knew all of the corporate connections, and the other miscellaneous things (the Bush sponsored Taliban tour of the U.S?), the movie still has enourmous impact from just watching the U.S. "precision bombing" and the unbelievable horror that comes from it. Children ripped to shreds, etc.

Its stomach turning, but at least its not the watered down made-for-tv war that we get in the States.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Well, I haven't seen it yet. I did see Bowling for Columbine, so I know what to expect from Moore. I'm not exactly a fan of how Bush has handled things, but I'm afraid to watch this documentary and not have anything to balance it out after it. What I'd like to see is a documentary made in response to it. Then I could sit down and watch them both back to back. That would be cool. Sidenote: the whole "precision bomb" thing is exactly why I got out of Air Force ROTC back in 2000 (before all the craziness of Sept. 11 and such). After the visit to the local Air Force base I decided that wasn't for me. Civilians should not be killed...period. No matter what country they live in.

11. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Fahrenheit is the best after shave ever ohhh it smells so nice

[Too bad the IoTW plaque is currently taken...] -Tal

[ June 30, 2004, 14:07: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

12. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I wear that too....Spammer! :yot:

13. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I saw the movie last night. It was interesting although a bit heavy-handed and, in some cases, intellectually dishonest. However, that's nothing new from Moore.

I also read the rebuttal posted by Grey.

The interesting thing about the rebuttal is its own glossing over the Saudi/Bush ties. By not commenting on the level of Saudi investment in the US and the ties to Bush, his family and his cronies, it implicitly confirms that information, which, although I already knew some of it, is certainly unsettling to say the least.

The more interesting factoids from the movie (to me anyway), though, were the bit about the Bush cousin at the news desk at Fox (didn't know that one) and, more importantly, the attack on Democrats as well (although not called that as such). For example, when the representatives were parading before Gore without a single senator sponsor, the thought going through my head was "Where's Teddy Kennedy and his friends? Didn't one of them have the balls to sign one of these things?"

Next, the bit with only one representative (or was it congressman) with an enlisted child overseas was a bipartisan attack. It was also misleading. How many of them have officer children there? The focus on enlisted people is a fake because most people in congress have a decent amount of money, and the kids of people with a decent amount of money don't enlist -- they go ROTC and become officers. I have no idea how many kids of congressman are officers, but it should have been presented.

Anyway, I'm still digesting the movie and will look to see if there is a disinterested factual rebuttal somewhere.

I still lean against voting for Bush, but I sure would like to see what Kerry actually stands for, as opposed to "anything but Bush."

14. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31

I didn't claim it was unbiased - and I prejudged the review by describing Hitchens' "utter contempt", so no one was unwarned - but only that it didn't come from the typical conquer-the-world-for-rightist-imperialism that I usually ooze.

Hitchens could have pointed out that, say, Bill Clinton was once study buddy at Georgetown University with Saudi Arabia's Prince Turki - eventually slated to head Saudi Arabia's dread secret police network. (Check the new Clinton biography, "My Life", for the president's discussion of this fine friendship.) Are there any such close links between Bush and the House of Saud? And does anyone really think that Clinton is the pocket of the Saudis because he happens to be good friends with some of the most powerful among them? As Hitchens points out in a casually explicit moment:

Fine, one more wholesale quote from the Hitchens review. (I'm...I'm becoming Ragusa!)

This applies, incidentally, to all the one-sided conquer-the-world-for-rightist-imperialism nonsense, too. Propaganda is its own artform - an entirely defensible, even necessary one - but the best propaganda emphasizes the positive while downplaying the negative, instead of indulging outright deception. Untruth merits a good whacking, whether politically agreeable or not.

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Grey, my point wasn't that Clinton had ties, it was that the rebuttal tacitly or expressly admitted the total Bush connection, including Carlyle, as well as the guy that Bush served with who was excised from the official records that Bush turned over and who, it turns out, was the Saudi's US money manager and who personally propped up some of George W. Bush's early failures. It also ignores the claim that the Saudis were invested in the US blue chips and general stock market to the tune of 6-7% of the total.

Now, that last bit isn't all that important in reality as we saw with all the hullabaloo about the Japanese when they bought up US real estate. After all, you can't export that. To the same point, if the Saudis pulled out of their holdings, it would probably depress prices and hurt the economy, but the Saudis would seriously take it in the shorts on the sale, so it's the old cut off your nose to spite your face syndrome.

In any event, I'm somewhat surprised that you didn't comment on the parts I wrote about Moore's sideways slam of the Democrats. Did you see the movie or are you commenting based on reviews and other things? Even though your are squarely conservative, you should see it (buy a ticket to another movie and sneak in if you don't want to officially line Moore's pocket) so that you can form your own opinions, given that it has taken a prominent political role (thanks in large part to Disney'r refusal to distribute it).

I'd be interested to hear your personal point of view as a conservative voice that I respect. I've listened to my wife's family and my dad as anti-Bushies and I am still trying to decide who to vote for -- I don't like Bush but I have yet to discover what Kerry actually stands for. Sorry for the :yot: bit, all.

16. Grey Magistrate Gems: 14/31

More like a conservative square!

Anyway, as Ankiseth_Vanir has correctly pointed out, since I haven't seen the movie m'self it really isn't fair of me to comment on it, save linking to another's review. I thought Hitchens' column was interesting because I disagree with most everything else he writes. (Uh, not to disparage Hitchens - maybe I haven't read a good representative sample.) I assumed the rightwingers would oppose the film, of course, so there's no reason to link to them - but Hitchens' looked like a non-rightist analysis of the crafting and intellectual side to Moore's arguments.

Call me cocooned ("Cocooned!"), but I don't think I'll watch it. I skipped "The Passion", too, based on the negative reviews and my own distaste for graphic violence - I didn't think I needed to see Gibson's film to come to a pret' clear idea, given the reviews, of its content. Same with Moore's.

So this isn't a good place to argue pro- or anti-Bush arguments, except in the Moore context, where I must concede the ground to Hitchens and ArtEChoke. Maybe another post? When I'm not so busy with Thief3?

[EDIT: Here's a Newsweek article that deals with the supposed Bush-Saudi connection, the Afghanistan pipeline, the Bath-bin Laden financing, and the Saudi flights after Sept. 11th. That should answer your questions, DMC.]

['NOTHER EDIT: If you'd tired of reading honest leftists bash the movie and would like to see what the right-wing thinks, check out this.]

[ July 08, 2004, 23:47: Message edited by: Grey Magistrate ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.