1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Faerun?

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Kastro Vour, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Kastro Vour Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I was looking thru the intro on icewind dale or palenscape or one of the games, I was installing alot today, and I remember hearing faerun in baldur's gate before I lost the thing.

What is faerun? Is that the planet or region? I know the games are linked because Waterdeep was in another intro of one of my games, and I remember reading those books in baldurs gate II and dreaming of traveling down there.

But I just want to know if all the games are in one world.. or many.. and where the games take place and if theres a big map of all of these. (The post about the map of faerun didnt work for me)

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I think Faerun is the planet in which you can find the Forgotten Realms. Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate are places in the Forgotten Realms.

But I'm no expert (as evidenced by the fact I could only get 2 questions right in a recent Forgotten Realms quiz).

3. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Faerun is the entire continent, like HB said. Toril is a smaller part, which contains Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. As you know, Baldur's Gate is part of the 'Sword Coast' province and Icewind Dale's 10 towns of 'the North'. Waterdeep is also in the Sword Coast and Neverwinter too (I think). Anywayz, these 3 cities are all situated on the coast of the Sea of Swords. There are books you can buy with various info about the different regions. You can buy them at amazon.com Check the links provided by this site.

EDIT: My mistake ;)

[ September 19, 2004, 21:49: Message edited by: Nizidramanii'yt ]

4. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Well this is quite offtopic now but could someone give me a link to this quiz? I did not find it during a quick search through the forums.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The contest is here

While Faerun is indeed a continent, Toril is the planet on which Faerun sits; it is not a smaller part containing Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

6. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    There are many similarities with our real world:

Toril would be planet Earth.
    There some continents:
    Faerun, much like Europe imo
    Maztica, sort of Middle America (Mexico etc)
    Kara-Tur, Asia
    And IIRC Zakhara, don't know much about that.

Another example is that Athkatla would be a capital city of the counrry of Amn on the continent Faerun on planet Toril. Much like Madrid - Spain - Europe - Earth

7. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Faerun houses European and Middle Eastern-like nations but would be the size of Asia, Europe and Africa combined.

Not much more to add. However it is easy to see people becoming confused since in the books and games the land is not often referred to as 'Toril' but rather as 'Faerun'.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.