1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Exploits and just using CLUA

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by SlickRCBD, Oct 17, 2009.

?

DO you ever just use the CLUAConsole to save time with the exploits?

1. I don't use such exploits or stealing

25.0%
  2. I'll use the exploits or the stealing, but using the console feels too much like cheating

50.0%
  3. Since I'm already cheating, using the console saves time and lets me get to the fun parts.

25.0%
  1. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    When quaffing a potion of perception and a couple potions of master thievery and then trying to steal a bunch of consumable items from a store that has an unlimited supply, do you ever decide to instead just use the CLUA console to give youself a couple thousand of the item once you've satisfied yourself the chance of being caught is almost nill? Or alternately, instead of using the exploit outside Nalia's keep (can't spell her last name and don't feel like looking it up) to have Captain Arant give you all those fire arrows, just CLUAing in a couple thousand?

I don't really see it as any worse cheating in the former if you have already decided to quicksave every time your inventory gets full when stealing and reload if get caught. In the latter case, you're already essentially cheating since it's obviously a bug that was an option to be corrected in the fixpacks that you obviously declined.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 19 seconds later... ----------

I should clarify things for the poll that I mean only for things you can get unlimited numbers of via stealing or a game exploit, not using the console to get 2000 sunstone bullets or darts of asp's nests. That counts as cheating.

2. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Cheating in a single player game is a pretty moot point.

Still, there is a difference between doing things within the game (quaffing a few potions and picking pockets) and using the console. Using potions is not worse than using a spell or a powerful object whereas using the console is just like SKing something into the game.

Does using overpowered items cheating or not? Azuredge to kill off liches, the Shield of Balduran to get rid of all those pesky beholders...

It may be cheesy to waste beholders like this but I'd draw the line between using items, spells and potions which are at your character's disposal and relying on SK or the console. You may end with the same result but this is not the same approach.

That being said when you've been playing this game for ages and know it like the back of your hand "cheating" doesn't mean that much if it helps getting through the tedious bits in the game. I bet some people can't play without infinite stacking, I don't really care about that but I sure would be annoyed if I had to go through Irenicus Dungeon one more time. Does using Dungeon-be-gone qualify as cheating? If it does then I'm with the cheaters. ;)

3. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    I use SK/Clua when I'm leaning towards just having fun with the game mechanics. During times when I really wanted to enjoy the game's fantasy setting I sometimes use exploits to do in minutes what would have taken hours (of real time) to do, but I avoid using Clua/SK as this would ruin the experience. This may not make sense logically, but being logical was never the point in the first place.

If I wanted endless gold/arrows, yes I'd rather SK/Clua those in.

4. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    That's something else I wanted to make a separate poll about. Quite often when I've finished a quest and am heading back to collect my rewards, I'll CLUA in 6 oils of speed and pass them out in order to reach my destination quicker. The effect on game time is negligable, but the effect on real time is worth it.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    A looooong time ago I replayed BG2 for the n+20th time, and I wanted to cut things short, so I used Ctrl+Y a lot. So often in fact, that I caught myself thinking about how nice it would be to Ctrl+Y me to the other platform in the railway station so I wouldn't miss the train :borg:

It was then I decided to give me a break and not play BG-2 for a while. Those were the days ...

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Now why would you want to take 1149 hit points of damage? I would think you would want to CTRL-J to the other platform . . . much less messy. :p

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    It's been a long time since. But probably I just have taken the 1149 hit points of damage so that I can't quite remember anymore.

8. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I used to try to abuse those infinite EXP exploits that abounded. Like, with Rejiek Hidesman, and that statue in the maze beneath spellhold. I felt... good about it, like I had achieved something by getting so much experience for nothing.

But I realized, it was cheating, and lame cheating at that. If you want extra experience, use the console. Who cares? If you try to abuse things in the game, then just save yourself time and use the console.

I dont consider the Mace of Disruption and the Shield of Balduran as abuse (I HATE beholders!), so I use things like that freely.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.