1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ever notice...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by jaded empath, Dec 27, 2006.

1. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

[​IMG] ...how hard it is to remember how to START a thread here? (tho maybe that's a good thing :D )

Sorry, just a non sequitur, there. The reason I'm bothering y'all is something that happened to me yesterday.

Now one aunt I've got KNOWS she can't pick out a decent, appropriate gift for someone to save her life. So she gives cash. This year, my wife and I each got a crisp, new, Canadian fifty-dollar note from her. (Which makes me wonder if she's got a counterfiting press in the basement ;) )

Anyways, we borrowed my folks' car to go 'boxing day shopping'...and discovered a change in commercial trends.

After finding a plethora of empty parking lots at even the big chain stores and returning home to grab the flyers from the last newspaper, we were confronted with "BOXING WEEK" sales, which initially I'd thought of as just a mercantile tactic to lengthen the window of availablity so as to encourage more sales - aparently not.

Up here, December 26 is ANOTHER day when all but maybe the donut shop and the convenience store are closed...and those few places that are open don't accept large denomination bills. :hahaerr:

(And apparently it's not just counterfiting; they have small tills - breaking a $100 would probably leave them with no change for the next customer :bad: )

So now, today wifey and I have to 'hitch a ride' with my (s)mother to go shopping...

Oh joy.

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm not sure what the point of the thread is friend. That boxing day isn't what it used to be? "Boxing week" is definatly a a mercantile tactic. So is christmas. Spend spend spend and everyone will love you.

3. Stefanina Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Media:
    Sounds like the point was that he was surprised to find retail stores closed on Boxing Day...

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Seeing that his wife is American, she probably assumed Wal-mart and the like would be open on Dec. 26, 6a., just like it is in the States.

When you're indoctrinated into the capitalistic pig-swine beliefs of a certain country, expecting the same ideals in other places is not out of the blue. I also thought store would be opened the day after Christmas and spent money at Chapters bookstore when it and Tim Horton's (coffee/donut shop) were the only things open.

I don't know why Boxing Day is a national holiday in Canada, U.K., Australia. It's not as though civil and city workers don't get enough holidays in December.

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually according to the wikipedia Boxing Day is a statuatory holiday in only some of the provinces of Canada.

Everyone I know around here (Alberta) has to work on boxing day or not get paid for it. (Unless they work in a bank or for the govn't.)

6. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It's not a holiday here in Manitoba, but it used to be. Many of employers give it off anyway - I don't know if that's because they don't know the law changed, or because they know they'd have a lot of ticked off employees if they took away a day off.

7. kuemper Gems: 31/31

So if I want to shop on December 26th, I have to fly/drive to Quebec or Maine.

Fun.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Boxing Day IS a statutory holiday in New Zealand . . . . but the shops are all open.

Statutory holidays in this country really only mean that office workers don't go to work and it costs 15% more to go to cafe.

9. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Boxing day is a public holiday in Denmark, and only gas stations and bakeries (and a few other shops) are open. The first working day after Christmas (normally the 27th, unless it's a Sunday) is the traditional "Present Swapping Day" when people form long lines in the shops to exchange their presents for something they really want. ;)

10. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Ah, we get that, too - you often hear "Many Happy Returns" on that day... :p

11. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

lmao Kuemps :D a very Repairman Jack-like answer. "I prefer to be addressed as running dog of the imperialist capitlist swine" :D

FYI he's a character in a series of novels by F. Paul Wilson. Good stuff although I've only read the 1st one: The Tomb.

12. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Wish December 26 were a holiday in the U.S., so my extended family could sit down in peace for the day after Christmas gathering (we all have Christmas Eve responsibilities and I at least have to travel far to get to other family members on Christmas Day). Among my family Dec. 26 does indeed trigger another frenzied round of spending.

When I worked for a big university, employees had both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off - when one of those fell on a weekend the university would designate a weekday as the replacement holiday, so those folks got Dec. 26 as a holiday this year.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.