1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

ENOUGH SYL BASHING

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Rakanishu, Jan 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakanishu Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] The recent spate of events is between Syl and Tal, and it is theirs to solve alone. Frankly I already foresaw such a falling out, it was so clear I don't know how you two let this come to pass. I strongly suggest that the both of you just chuck aside your ego and really talk things over.

Why? Because when the lips are gone the teeth are cold.

As for the rest of you, please observe some courtesy here. Don't meddle into their argument or post your "own views" into matters. If you have a problem with Syl, start a new thread or something! Why get brave only now?

2. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Hell yeah! Grub rules!
    :D

3. Thaumas Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Lips are gone when the :confused:...

I'll look it up :rolleyes:.

4. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] I would only have a problem with Syl if he leaves!

I've been hanging out here sporadically since July...Faithfully since October or so. Whatever goes on behind the scenes, I think this is a pretty cool site! Fun topics, fun (if slightly insane) people, and a great place to learn about the all the games!

So hopefully, things will continue on...

Almost forgot: :D

5. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Ah the stuff of life...love, romance, trust, disagreements etc. It makes this site a cool place...

6. Wassup Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Talking of love... Is there 2 persons here in love with each other? So we could start all sort of rumors. Like bunch a girls talking together. :D

7. Sniper Gems: 28/31

Yeah Tal & Syl! :D

(pls don't boot me)

8. Wassup Gems: 9/31

[​IMG] Sniper, dont talk too fast... I'm sure you and herf.. you seem very close you two... :D :D :D :D :D

9. Wassup Gems: 9/31

:D

Yeah, Tal and Syl... they fight each other like an old couple :) :) :)

10. Neverworlder Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

[​IMG] I don't think anyone is bashing Syl except Tal. I didn't even realize there was a melee going on between them until I just read the improve-the-site string. I've said it before and will say it again: Tal has an attitude problem. There's really no excuse for the arrogant, condescending, dismissive way he responded to some of Syl's suggestions (however impractical some of them were - sorry, Syl, but a Top Ten list is only going to invite bullshit posts) in that string and the related why-did-you-close-that-topic string. There must be more to their friction than what we've read.

The site could obviously use a few tweaks, but Tal just categorically dismisses and ridicules the suggestions. I mean, why not give Syl a colored name? You have to throw your volunteers a bone once in a while, and it's such a minor, workable, easy-to-implement request. Why not let us all of us choose a color for our name so the boards aren't so duo-chromatic, which is getting a little old to look at. Why not a graph showing peak times, or showing posts-since-i-was-last-here, or adding a few more titles above Apprentice (like Magician for 500 posts, or Mystic for 750 or something). But Tal's response is always no. No no no no no no no.

This is a great site, don't get me wrong, but letting it evolve is not necessarily a bad thing.

11. Darien Noella Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Actually, *I* was the one who stated the downside of the Top Ten list. Tal only agreed after the fact. ;)

But seriously, Taluntain responded several times with specific reasons why each suggestion would not work. The only one he dismissed summarily was the colored names. (Which I admit would be cool.) The others he seems to feel are either unworkable or low priority, but he did not just say "No" without reason. And when he did try to change the colors of the board, all he got was a bunch of new complaints! Give the guy a break!

Has no one noticed the request on the front page for Help? This message board is a great place to hang out, but it is *not* the only part of the site. Someone needs to do the research to find all these cool links and informational tidbits we all love.

Syl has done a great job, as far as I'm concerned, and his walkthroughs are what lured me here to begin with. However, lots of people have noticed in his posts the same arrogance and condescension of which you accuse Tal. No one is perfect. But hey, if you don't like it, don't read it. He's entitled to whatever opinion he likes.

I think they are both probably frustrated and overworked, and you all ought to leave them alone. After all, this is really none of our business anyway. :D

12. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well if you had actually read what I wrote, you'd realize that there is no practical and easy solution for any of that. If there was, I'd already have implemented it.
    And me bashing Syl? Hardly. If anyone's doing the bashing here, then I consider the same requests I dismissed before(with valid arguments) popping up again from the same person in a matter of days to be bashing of me, and a way of negating anything I say or do.
    Sorry if that represents a problem for any of you(speaking generally), but at least as long as this is all going on on my boards I think I have a bit more saying in this matter than anyone else here.

And again, posts like the one from Neverworlder only bring up more and more issues that wouldn't have even happened in the first place. When someone starts trashing another, some people will side with me, some with Syl, some with both... And voila the mess in which we're in currently is at hand.

Neverworlder for one will always side with anyone else but me because I scolded him early on when he came here. Ok, I can understand that.
    But unfortunately if I didn't do what I did, I wouldn't be much of a moderator then, now would I? After all, I DO represent the law and order around here, as silly as this might sound to some who have problems grasping the concept in real life, let alone something as virtual as these boards of mine.

Oh and the comment about more friction... You're right. More and more of it is generated here by everyone else than me and Syl. Or didn't you notice that?

Also, Neverworlder keeps referring to the boards as to "site". I keep the two terms separated. Site is everything but these boards, and boards are what you're currently on.
    I will gladly listen to any comments about the improvement of the SITE ( http://www.sorcerers.net/index.php ), but not the same ones regarding the boards repeated 3 times. Neverworlder, go and read the post you claim to have read and you'll know why my replies were always no. I never say no without a good reason.

Evolvement if fine when it's practical for me, but when it's not, it's simply not going to happen, no matter how hard you try to convince me that I'm the one standing in the way of progress.

Try to remember that all of the site and these boards were created by me, and that the thousands of hours spent on it are not something you can dismiss with a wave of the hand.

Not wanting to add more glory to my name, but what I wrote above are simply sheer facts, not something you can discuss or debate.

P.S. I started writing this before Darien replied, so regard this post as a more or less reply to Neverworlder first.
    And I'm glad Darien noticed most of the stuff I'm talking about in my reply.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 18, 2001).]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  13. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Hmmmmm, well. Recently here in our 'wild' -to say the least- American Political arena an expression has been used. That expression is people of high integrity and ethics can find themselves in strong disagreement... without doing that in a disagreeable way. It usually includes respect and support as well as clear expectations. I've stated numerous times regarding the quality, content, thuroughness and tenor of this site.

However, somethings should be handled 'Offline'. And perhaps not so... public. Sorce and Syl have worked together on ALOT of things for this site. As with any relationship there will arise contention. I hope my post here can be viewed slightly objectively and at least reflect what nearly all board members here feel. Which is in fact that an incredible board like this is the result of a team effort. And high thanks goes to Sorce, Syl and the board members for making it the best RPG board around.

Of course, expressions heard in American Politics can be at best... lies :), I don't think that any difference of views here on this board can never be resolved. I know they can. Of course sometimes one feels better when they can attack someone else or a 'new' target so I propose we start attacking BlackThorne !!! Yeah baby!!! That damned apple polisher!!!

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited January 19, 2001).]

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Apple polisher?! Well, I am now highly offended; goodbye everyone, I simply cannot take this abuse any longer! ;)

15. Draco Vlasavius Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

Pah! You won't get away sooooo easily. Your IP has been logged and route traced, we now know where you live and the bashing will continue buster! :)

Btw, isnt Blackthorne the character from Revnant? You know the one with the tatoos all over him?

All kidding aside Blackthorne, you can stay here at this board... for a few more days...J/k.

I do however look forward to new views from you and other posters here when HOW & NWN has been released.

[This message has been edited by Draco Vlasavius (edited January 19, 2001).]

16. Sniper Gems: 28/31

To side against Tal all the time just because Tal told Neverworlder off is absolutly CHILDISH! Heck thats just so pathetic...u sound like my ex! And she ain't a nice person anymore. Why don't you try siding with what you think is best for the site and not on the side that Tal is not on! Gheez!

17. Sol'Kanar Guest

On about the ex again eh Sniper? I agree though. Even the most well-loved person can make mistakes eh? This self-destructive and childish behavior makes me want to vomit.

18. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Same here Draco... Can't wait for those games to arrive along with your STRONG opinions :)

The only Blackthorne I remember is the bad guy in a couple of the Ultimas <shrug>

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31

[​IMG] Ok, sorry...next time i'm gonna do some research on happenings before i make a comment...but heck! :D

20. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Where the hell did that reply of Neverworlder's go?
    It didn't load whole for me, but when I reloaded it was gone.
    And since I and Sylvus are the only ones that can delete posts, why did you delete it Sylvus? I didn't even get to read it.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited January 20, 2001).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.