1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Emulator files?

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by Ravynn, May 7, 2005.

1. Ravynn Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

So, what are these files? I mean like Gameboy Emulator, Nintendo Emulator files, don't know what else is out there, really. Are any worth getting? Of course, I would never think to download a game I didn't own. Really.

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Probably not that worth it unless you've got a nostalgic attachment to a certain game, era or console. But if you do, they're a great way of re-living the past. Though I hear there are emulators out even for the newest consoles and games, but those are, of course, completely illegal, as opposed to emulators of older consoles or games not being sold any more, which are only technically still illegal.

3. Arifirh Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

If you own a Mega Drive/Genesis, programs like GENS can be good if only because of the save function. You can legally download the ROMs of games you own, and play and save your progress at your leisure. It takes a marathon session otherwise to get through some of the longer games.

Presumably most other emulators have some sort of Save State feature as well :)

4. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Emulators should be completely legal as long as they do not have the copyrighted BIOS of the original console (that is why you have to download it separately ;) ).

Ravyn, make a search for "Virtual Boy" if you want a good GBA emulator, "FCEU" for NES, "Project 64" for N64, "ePSXe" for PSX, or head to www.ngemu.com for some news. Especially take a look at the post of N64 getting cel-shading and TrueFrom filters. Also, several of these require graphic and sound plug-ins to work and these are of varied quality. I can personally recommend Pete's PSX plug-ins as they seem to be the best ones out there ATM.

Cel-shading on any emulator would be awesome and especially PSX could really benefit of it. Final Fantasy 7 or Crash Bandicoot with up-to-date graphics, yam. :yum:

5. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

What is a BIOS? Do I need any special equipment?

6. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

You don't need anything more than the emulator program and something to run on it :)

A BIOS is the most basic functional level of a computer - the Basic Input/Output System. It lets the system handle keyboards, for instance, without needing to refer to software.

7. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

'zsnes' is probably the best SNES emulator around.

But beware when going to ROM sites - you're likely to end up with 10000 new pieces of spyware, viruses, ect.

8. Ruin Ehwazehs Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

@ Aikanaro IMO snes9x is better for the snes games, turbo mode is quite nifty, and it's much easier to use it than zsnes. But zsnes's auto (turbo?) botton is buttkicking.

eps works well for the old PS games.

9. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Yeah, the GUI of Snes9x is much cleaner. Somehow the one in ZSNES feels a bit clumsy...

As to ROMs, most Google results are just spam-sites specifically designed to trash the results, so you may need to do some digging. ROM files themselves are pretty clean and personally I haven't come across a single virus in them.

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Don't get fooled by statements like that, they are false. All ROMs and emulators are illegal. It's just not stoping anyone from using them, because no one is really hunting down people using them. Only ROM and emulator makers get busted from time to time.

11. Arifirh Gems: 10/31

Sorry Tal, my misinformation.

I was under the impression that if you had a ROM or ISO of a game you owned it counted as a backup copy, not pirated.

12. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Every one I saw, which was like 3, said that it was ok to download games you already owned. Thank you for the heads up Tal. I'll have to be careful. Thanks everyone for the tips.

13. Wordplay Gems: 29/31

Technically yes, but if you have a large collection of "backup" copies the juries will hear none of it. But for single user they are as good as legal (--if you own the original one, of course :shake: ).

But that's just :bs: talk for users who *actually* care is it legal or not. Most don't.

14. Taluntain

Media:
    Yea, same way most warez sites tell you that it's legal to download and use pirated games as long as you delete them in 24 hours. :rolleyes:

For abandonware and emulators, I think the ball just starts rolling by a large site putting up such a factually wrong disclaimer, and then everyone else blindly copying it, even though it's wrong.

Wirhe's last post is pretty accurate.

15. Ravynn Gems: 6/31

Ok, I'll just have to be sneaky, er, careful. Thanks y'all. :shake:

16. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Care to explain this? Emulators are perfectly legal if they don't distribute any copyrighted material with it. Which they don't. As for downloading ROMs, yes that is illegal unless you own the game. This is subject for some arguing here, but as you could "quite easily" dump the ROMs yourself and use them instead, how does it differ from downloading them instead? Also name some emulator makers or ROM dumpers that were busted because of dumping a game or making an emulator. Some may have been busted for distributing ROMs and rightly so.

17. Taluntain

Media:
    Emulators are inherently illegal, as the only purpose they have is to allow people to play ROMs, which are illegal. And no, it's not legal to download a ROM even if you own the game. Only justifiable. But technically still illegal.

You can't "quite easily" dump the ROMs, especially for consoles which don't have games on any sort of CD media.

I don't remember the names of emulator makers (or even the emulator) that were prosecuted, I just know it's happened, and they lost. I read about it a year or two ago. It was over a very popular emulator of one of the recent consoles. As was said above, for anything old, no one really cares. But anything newer can get you in trouble.

18. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

That was probably some commercial emulator? That changes things quite a bit. I don't think there has been many of those except Bleem, which was doomed to fail at that time. But anyway, I won't push this matter further, think what you want to :).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.