1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Emotion spell bug?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Ragusa, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    When doing the unseeing eye quest I had a hard time to play my party through the battle with these notorious three gauths. Sure, I was *not* using the shield of Balduran. Usually I found it worked excellent to cast chaos on them and then to kick their ass with fireballs or cloudkills.

My mage didn't have chaos this time so I guessed emotion would work just as fine. I casted and, YAY!, the gauths fell on the ground. I was underimproved invisibility when I came closer to cast a skulltrap on them but as soon as I started to cast they attacked me with cause serious wounds and hold as if I aproached visible despite they were lying on the ground. The shadows finished my party off then.

I repeated that a few times and always they attacked at full strength and my party got massacred quickly - although the gauths were under the emotion spell :mad:

I ended up casting emotion leaving them at least immobile, send out my thief as an artillery observer and used 5 or so fireballs and a few lightning bolts from out of their sight on them while they were downed ... and I still got beat up badly. This fight was a pain in the a** :mad:

For me the emotion spell seems to be buggy when used on beholders - they shouldn't attack when they are under it's effect.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IIRC so shouldnt Emotion work on gauths at all. Is not that spell only supposed to work on humanoids?

3. Thomas Covenant Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hmm not sure about emotion, I use it all the time, and quite right they shouldn't be able to do anything. EDIT: ..if affected by it :)

But since we talk about those pesky gauths, I found an extremly easy way of defeting them. So far it had worked like charm.
    I was testing some of elementals on my way to that forgotten temple, and there you have gauths too waiting after the bridge (since Ragusa mentioned shadows, I think it was here he fought them too ). 1 (!) earth elemental proved to be enough since shadows can't hit it, and gauths do only 5-7 dmg per hit. I couldn't belive it, so I tested it again in the Unseeing Eye cave, and guess what happened: 2 earth elementals (not lesser ones) managed to clean everyone in that cave, from gauths to druids and beholder (only hidden archer followed them, disrupting a spell or two).
    One elemental was injured the other one barely injured :D
    Gotta love that.

[This message has been edited by Thomas Covenant (edited January 02, 2002).]

4. Lord Sarevok Guest

Yes, I had quite a few problems with those guys.

I was playing my Fighter/Invoker and the only people in my party were Jaheria and Yoshimo.

Since I didn't have Holy Smite avalible to me, I tried cramming web and stinking cloud in a minor sequencer. I cast Shadow Door and crept up on them, then shot the minor sequencer at them. I then ran off and and made sure all of them were either passed out or held, before casting Cloud Kill, followed by three fireballs.

I had to try this three times before pulling it off correctly, since if all three of them saw me at once, I was pretty much dead.

Oh, and in my game there was one Beholder and two Gauths.

One beholder alone is fairly easy to kill, but three of them makes it really hard.

If you have acess to Holy Smite, I suggest using that, since when you cast it out of their site, they don't come after you, but if you cast cloud kill they would. Might have something to do with cloudkill being a damage-over-time spell, while Holy Smite is a one shot damage spell. Two castings of Holy Smite usually kills them all for me.

Um, and regarding Emotion, I've never actually used that spell before, so I wouldn't know.

5. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] Thanks for all the help :) however, my main point is only that the spell doesn't work properly:

The gauths fall down on the floor, stay there immobile and *despite that* they attack as normal. That is my problem and what I consider to be a bug.

PS to Thomas Covenant:
    Thanks for the summoning hint, I rarely summon any monsters so it might be nice to try that for a change :)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited January 02, 2002).]

6. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] It could be that the programmers made the game-side affects of Emotion the same as Hold Monster. When the gauths are held, they can still see, so they can still attack.

Its probably just the lazy programming we've come to know and love from the infinity engine games.

7. Lord Sarevok Guest

Infinity engine rules!!! ;) :) :grin:

8. Ragusa

Media:
    [​IMG] I found the solution on the bioware boards:

And I had the answer all the days SP was down I I was unable to post it ! What a pain :D :lol:

9. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Interesting discovery, Ragusa.

Many enemies have this "ForceSpell" scripted which makes some spells near useless.
    An example is Silence 15'r, which is not of much use since many mages "ForceSpell" Vocalize.

You don't use much summons, you say? They are really very handy in many encounters. :)

10. Laksol Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Indeed, Earl Grey.

Especially that mage you face in the elven temple where you'd put together three holy items. He just can't be silenced from the start for whatever I'm doing him. WTF!

11. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

I even remember being held by the beholder when in sanctuary. That was the first time through the game with no patch. (It wasn't even made back then)

Beholders are so much easier with overpowered items. Last time I played the game I did the beholders before getting shield and before going to spellhold. That is one way to get a tough fight!!! But then again I did it for the challenge of it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.