1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Emergency! ALERT! Need game now!

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Bahir the Red, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Here's the situation: I am home alone with a cold. Don't have many games left since the last "room clearout" and due to the fact that my computer sucks. I have also commited several acts of idiocy by unistalling superb games from my computer to be able to install other, less good games (looking back, I realize that I always commit the same mistake)

All yesterday and this morning, I had no problem when playing Fallout 2. Then I made a save in Vault 13 and later loaded it. The game crasches.

One of the games I unistalled before was the excellent Age of Empires II, I still have the expansions CD but the regular game CD I have lent to a friend (and is now unaccesable, which renders the expansion CD temporarily useless)

So my request is this: give me the name of some free, good, downloadable or online games. Games that are funny and worth playing. An anti-example of this is Tibia (because it is worthless and boring)

And I have no itentions to return to my old Diablo 2 addiction (I would only end up sitting up MFing all night)

[ October 12, 2004, 21:16: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

www.the-underdogs.com

Some pretty good games there, recent favs include such classics as System Shock 2 and Microprose's Magic:The Gathering. X-Com and Jagged Alliance 1 are also available. All of those are great time-wasters, especially the Magic:The Gathering game.

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

4. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

I'd like to ditto what Rednik and Bonzo said here. The Underdogs is great. I'd suggest X-Com if you haven't already played it.

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31

It's funny how X-COM totally outclasses most modern games. The best tactical sim ever.

I have Jagged Alliance 2 but man that is hard to get in to. I think I'm probably going to beat fallout again before I try JA2.

6. ejsmith Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Download Star Control 2.

And check the Ultronomicon Wiki if you need some hints to the game.

It's certainly worth playing through one single time. There's a hundredth (or so) of the galaxy to explore, so make sure you keep a few notes. Also, it plays best with a joystick, so even a cheap $6 usb two-button stick is better than nothing.

Make sure you download the full 300meg. You want all the music and sounds. The music adds a tremendous amount of "atmosphere" to the game.

7. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

Thanks for the tips. But as a backup I will bike over to my dads and get my Fallout (1) CD. And I also istalled Ps:T yesterday but there is not much chanse I will play it.

8. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Play Baldurs Gate 2 again. :evil:

Or you could just get System Shock 2 from the-underdogs.org ... that is one hectic game!

9. Bahir the Red Gems: 18/31

I would (perhaps) if I hadnt lent it to a friend...

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Really left yourself up chocolate creek without a popsicle stick I see ;) I'd play PS:T bec I've never played it... can't find it anywhere anymore and ordering it online is just too impractical as the shipping costs so much :eek:

11. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

I'm telling ya...

Star Control2 is a good download. It's not role-playing in any traditional sense, and there's some action/skill necessary for it. But it's a good yarn (a tale; a story; a myth; a read) to keep you occupied for a few hours.

I have the cheat-book saved back to text, and I think I even have the hex-cheats saved. Infinite RU's from the start, and I can hexout the Melnorme credits once you earn a couple. Heck, I can send you a savegame of the original that's been hexedited.

Honestly, it's an outstanding download. Well worth playing one single time, even cheating through it. The space combat isn't difficult at all if you just use the mothership, fully upgraded. Only the final battle is difficult, and if you use Pkunk Furies, it makes it a lot easier. Flying the mothership into the asteroid is still difficult, but you just loadup on crew members with no weapons on the ship, and you have plenty of time to make it through the comets.

[edit: Hell. Now I need to play it.

*vows to mess around with tToEE and SC2 this weekend* ]

12. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Okay I DLed SC2, hopefully I'll get a chance to play it this weekend.

13. ejsmith Gems: 25/31

Good luck. I'm going to guess you're playing it under Windows. Check the manual for some "command line switches" to make the game a bit easier to play. Bump the resolution up to 1024x768 and crank the graphics quality up if you're using a Geforce 4 Ti4200 or above (including Ati's).

Also, lemme know if you want the hex-cheats for the save games. Resource Units and Melnorme Credits can be cranked up. The original SC2, you could "swap" melee fighters. So whenever a Mycon, Ur-Quan, VUX, Kor-Ah, etc. was slated to appear, it would be a Shofixti fighter; an easy kill for an Earthling Cruiser. That is, you could cheat by swapping out one type of fighter for another. I dunno if it's possible with the GPL version, but I'd suspect so. I haven't gotten to the point where I'm worried about trying it.

14. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Try some of the free games at www.zone.com ...it's MSN's gaming zone. I usually get addicted to Bejeweled and Collapse. :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.